AKC vs American Field Trials

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
macstartan

AKC vs American Field Trials

Post by macstartan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:33 am

Hey All
What are your thouts on AF and AKC trials & why is one better than the other for you?
I run Gordons & have helped with & put on AF trials.
Your thoughts please

Mac

icefire

Post by icefire » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:43 am

i think that they are both good, depends on your dog and your circumstances. it can be tough for a working man to campaign hard in AF because they are long trials that tend to require week days. I do like the longer braces though and really like the wild bird championships. AKC is nice because there are usually a fair number of local weekend trials that you can attend without having to travel to far or take all your vacation for. it is also easier to do well with an average hunting type of dog as AF tends to look for even bigger runners. both good, what-ever floats your boat.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:57 am

I've attended both and enjoyed them both. I think AKC offers some things that AF does not. The weekend trials like Ice says are easily accessible to the working man, and at least in KS where I attended you'll never meet more people willing to say, "Come on and join in". Even though call backs are something of a joke at times I really do like the fact that they still require that a dog actually be able to retrieve a bird.

Af from my experience wants to focus more on dogs really running at the limit of control and range, and seems to put more focus on the "race" rather than bird work but that's really a very subtle difference. I know a lot of people that run in both venues and compete very successfully in both so they aren't THAT different. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

macstartan

Post by macstartan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:11 am

Hey All
thanks for your input .Itoo have done both seems to me AKC trials are more of a pointing contest with libys , One of the trial grounds near wherw i live has developed a very good wild bird population.
I just love running on wild birds , seperates the real dogs from the dogs also it shows a dog under hunting conditions.
Mac

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 am

American Field trials run under minium rule standards. They may include local weekend "fun" trials and Championships that may last several weeks.
These trials not only include open stakes; horseback All-Age, Shooting Dog, but Amateur Field Trial Clubs of America stakes as well.
They also include Futurities on all gamebirds, puppy, derby, restricted breed, Cover Dog, ABHA, NBHA, US Complete, recognized Walking and one course venues.
The American Field (FDSB) website lists the recognized trials and Championships held across the United States and Japan.

List of trials....
http://www.americanfield.org/Pages/Fieldtrials.html

minium standards...
http://www.americanfield.org/Pages/FTRequirements.html

Field Trial Rules and Regulations....
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~emorgan/dwnld2.htm

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:50 pm

Good thread!

THe Af has many weekend trials as well. The dogs have to quailfy to run in Championships somewhere.

I have been to many Af trials...... one of the things I like about them over AKC is they have a Restricted Stake for dogs without placements. Usually held in the spring so handlers could qualilfy their dogs for Championships. THere is also much less red tape in the Af , by far!

The AKC still has many trial clubs that offer wranglers (people that have horses for rent) at trials. I dont see many here in the mid-west but back east they are still prevalent. The cost is getting prohibative though.

The AKC offers Futurities for Breed specific events as well. THey also have an All breed Pointing Dog National Championship that travels. THey have just approved a Walking GSP National Championship as well, to be held in Wisconsin this year! I am sure other breeds will follow in line with this too. Some breeds have three futurities and NAtionals as well.

Yes the AF tends to lean a lot towards run, but in the GSP world, most of the AKC "Trial" dogs run in both venues.

The biggest problem they both have is finding competant judges. Secondly, being able to afford them. The AKC tries to keep entry fees low, but its getting hard to keep the clubs out of the red.

The biggest point to be made here is........

THis is all suposed to be a "FUN GAME" for you and the dog, when it stops becoming fun you should find another venue or better yet, get out and hunt that hound!

We always try to take an extra horse with us to trials. Anyone that is interested in watching an event look us up! Our next trial is in Eureka Kansas, next weekend.

Phil
REO