Dave Walker Seminar in Iowa

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Munster

Dave Walker Seminar in Iowa

Post by Munster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm

There will be a 2-day Dave Walker Seminar held in Iowa this June 4th and 5th
COst is $150.00 for the weekend,lunches are included.
Location is Kojac Kennels in Center Point, IA.
Reservations required and spaces fill up fast! Bring your dog!
This is the contact info
kojac@fmtcs.com

If you have any questions or the email doesnt work PM me for more info.
Last edited by Munster on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

jimssetters

Re: Dave Walker Seminar in Iowa

Post by jimssetters » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 am

Is this pointing dogs or retrievers? Can you attend without a dog?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 pm

I don't know all the details, but am Munster's friend :D, and I'm pretty sure this is for pointing dogs only.

This should be the gentleman's website:
http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 am

Yes it's for pointing dogs, and you can attend without a dog. Although bringing your dog is encouraged.

You will learn a lot from Dave.

Doug

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:
You will learn a lot from Dave.

Doug
Plus have a good time, Dave is entertaining, and I do not think there is nothing he can't do with a dog,

Neil

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I think he is about the best there is and resonably priced too.

Ezy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you guys, I have also been checking on seminar in Columbia Mo. That one is alot closer but depends on sons graduation. Lots of snow here still missing school.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Wish it was closer and that I didn't have to work, or I'd be there.
Dave's the best I've ever seen work a dog. jmo
I'll just have to jump over and see him before the Idaho Brittany trial in April.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Would I benefit from this seminar if I'm going to be using the West/Gibbons method or the Burnt Creek method? Or would this be confusing. I'm unable to attend Jonesy's seminar in MO in May. I'm not familiar with Mr. Walker or his methods.

Cheryl

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Nhuskr wrote:Would I benefit from this seminar if I'm going to be using the West/Gibbons method or the Burnt Creek method? Or would this be confusing. I'm unable to attend Jonesy's seminar in MO in May. I'm not familiar with Mr. Walker or his methods.

Cheryl
Dave Walker's method is a slightly modified West/Gibbons method.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 am

wannabe wrote:
Nhuskr wrote:Would I benefit from this seminar if I'm going to be using the West/Gibbons method or the Burnt Creek method? Or would this be confusing. I'm unable to attend Jonesy's seminar in MO in May. I'm not familiar with Mr. Walker or his methods.

Cheryl
I think Dave might take exception to that,

Neil

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 am

Neil wrote:
wannabe wrote:

Cheryl

Neil
From what I understand, Bill West was the first to market this training method and Bill Gibbons and Dave Walker learned it from him. Gibbons and Walker have both added their own twist to Bill's method, but I am not willing to do the research to determine the degree of the "twist".
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Neil wrote:
wannabe wrote:

Cheryl

Neil
Well, Neil, that post wasn't particularly helpful to a newbie. Could you share some of Dave's philosophy/training style instead? i.e.-how it compares/contrasts with Jim Marti, West/Gibbons, Mo Lindley, etc? These are the methods I have been researching.

Cheryl

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I have never attended a West or Walker seminar, so I can't do you ask.

I know Dave Walker as a competitor, and know he has been training dogs professional since the 1960's, perhaps the 50's, I think it more likely others have learned his methods. That was my only point.

I think you will benefit from most any of the seminars put on by the top people.

I have attended Delmar's & Rick's, and Buddy Smith (no relation), and despite having my own methods, and years of practicing them, I always learn something,

Neil

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 am

I believe that you would.The best thing you could do is go to his site and look at some of the videos. Maybe you can even see them on youtube, not sure.

I have been using his methods on my pup and by the time Itested him in his NA he was pretty much steady to wing shot fall.This was at 7 mos. I put the pup up for the winter hunting him a few times. When I started training again this last month, he retained all ythe info I had taught him.
This isnt a heavy handed method, infact, I have been told that if Walker where to see you be heavy handed on a dog he would be done with you.
Also, with his method you are teaching the dog to respect the bird. The wing shot and fall arent taught seperatly, it is started from the begining. It all goes hand in hand.

Ezzy is correct. The cost of this clinic is $150.00 for the whole weekend. You will get hands on with Dave and luch will be provided.
Dave is in his mid to late 80"s so there is no telling if this will be his last clinic.

All in all you are going to walk away with alot of Knowlegde. That is more info to put in your training bag. :P

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 pm

I have been asked a few times what exactly goes on during this clinic. WHile I have not been to one yet, I did find out some information.
Saturday things get started with Dave giving all the handlers a hand out that outlines his methods. He will then take each dog and handler out into the field for one on one time.During this time he will ask what kind of issues you are having with your dog and help you address them. Dave has a mic on so that those waiting can hear what is being discussed with each handler.
I am sure with as many will sign up there will be all kinds of issues being discussed.From steadiness to FF.
Sunday the handlers take over and work on what Dave had discussed with them the previous day and he will walk out and make sure things are going well.I was also told that he will discuss force fetch methods and other training topics. There will be a question and answers portion with some more discussion.

I wish that I had a complete outline, but I dont. I am hoping that others that have attended will be of some help.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Munster,

What are the correct dates for this seminar? Dave's website says 12th-13th, while the dates you gave say 4th-5th.

Cheryl

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Nhuskr wrote:Munster,

What are the correct dates for this seminar? Dave's website says 12th-13th, while the dates you gave say 4th-5th.

Cheryl
The 12th-13th dates are for last year (2010)
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Ah ha! Thanks, my hubby told me about the date from the web site, and I missed the 2010 when I went and looked. It's been a stressful few days here. Emergency vet visit, stuck vehicles, stall renovations to keep mud out of it for the horse, hubby's dog's umbilical hernia causing problems after 6 years with no problems, which requires surgery on Thursday.

The one bright spot, is that I finally get to go pick up my pup on Thursday! Of course, that adds a new level of stress; bringing home a puppy to a post-op probably cranky dog. Pray for me!

Cheryl

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 am

Will check this out! Also have been told of one taking place in Columbia Mo. I'll have to check out.

Cheryl, Congrats on the pup and good luck with the post-op dog, hope all is ok!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

Dave Jones, aka Jonesy on this board is doing the one in MO. Both Dave's know what they are doing and are willing to share it to any who attend and at a reasonable price for all of you that are wanting to learn.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Neil wrote:I have never attended a West or Walker seminar, so I can't do you ask.

I know Dave Walker as a competitor, and know he has been training dogs professional since the 1960's, perhaps the 50's, I think it more likely others have learned his methods. That was my only point.

I think you will benefit from most any of the seminars put on by the top people.

I have attended Delmar's & Rick's, and Buddy Smith (no relation), and despite having my own methods, and years of practicing them, I always learn something,

Neil
I am definitely with Neil on this one. I have worked with Dave Walker on many occaisions when my dogs had gone to him for training. Not only does he teach your dog, he teaches you. That being said, I have also incorporated other trainer's techniques into my own training of my dogs. A good trainer is a good trainer and you can learn something of value from each.

I should say that Dave has been training professionally since the early 70 and training before that since he was in his teens. A long time. If you have a chance to read his book, you will see that Bill West wrote the forward to it.

prairierise

Post by prairierise » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:05 am

I lived with Dave Walker for a summer while I was going to college; he is truly a Dog Whisperer. After training with him nearly every day for 3 months I still did not even scratch the surface of his knowledge. Dog training is more about how you read your dog than anything else and just as in sports there are athletes that are naturally gifted when it comes to say "ball sense" Dave is that way with dogs he knows and understands how to read and react to each dog. He is also very patient which is a unique attribute for a good dog trainer. So if you get a chance go to this seminar, it is well worth the time.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:02 am

I can vouch for Jonesy's seminars. I wen to one of his in Ks. last year and will attend the onw in Columbia, Mo. He has an incredible "way" with dogs and the beneifts are long-term in both you and the dog.

That said I would be interested in Mr. Walker's seminar as well. I believe that any seminar you attend will only make you a better handler and help you develop "your" style of training.

huntcrazed

Post by huntcrazed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Dave Walker is the best trainer and possibly the most knowledgeable handler in the nation.

If you pay to go listen to him bring a tape and play what you heard over ....it is very hard to learn what this man knows about training dogs in a seminar but it is definitely worth anyones time to see him in person and watch him work a dog.

His knowledge with the electric collar and how to use it properly along is worth the prize of admission.

His book is great but learning from him in person with your dog will be an eye opener.

Living in Idaho I was lucky enough to know him for decades....he is the man when it comes to training dogs.

Mario

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:54 pm

So.....?
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

wrgflyfish

Post by wrgflyfish » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am

I was a good seminar. My wife or I will post a few pictures shortly. It was a small group so we each got to work our dogs with Dave several times.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Second the comment. The weather was ok, hot at times, but for the most part it was good. Dave was a neat guy with good info to offer. The only hang up I had was that the mic system wouldnt work ocrrectly so we didnt always get to hear what was going on in the field. That was a little frustrating.

Oh and that I discovered that my Munster lander is a a setter! :P :P :lol:

it was very nice to meet nhusker and her husband. There were alot of neat people there and the food was way good!

Thanks to Jerry and Kathy Jordan for holding the seminar and happy 50th Anniversary! Kathy, I dont know how you did it! :lol:

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:33 pm

As promised but slower than expected, here are a few pics from the seminar. When I get back from Joplin, I'll get my picasa album set up and post the link, so you can see all the pics if you're inclined. My hubby took a bunch. :lol:

Cheryl
Dave Walker Seminar 054-380.jpg
Dave Walker Seminar 018-380.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.