2012 AKC GD NC at Ames?

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
jetjockey

2012 AKC GD NC at Ames?

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 am

Ive been hearing a few rumors that the 2012 AKC GD NC is going to be held at Ames. Can anyone confirm or deny that rumor. I sure hope its true.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: 2012 AKC GD NC at Ames?

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm

I sure hope its true.
Can't help myself, just gotta ask...why? Curious.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Why what? Why at Ames or why do I hope its true?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Yes. I can confirm it...Got it from AKC Rep last weekend...I am glad because it is close...
brenda

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

DGFavor wrote: Can't help myself, just gotta ask...why? Curious.
Further sign of the coming apocalypse.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Brenda

Maybe a stupid question but how does qualifying for the AKC nationals work? It seems there was a rule change in 2010 so a dog has to qualify within 1 year of the trial, but how do they do the qualifying? Is it the same as the ABC which requires a 1st place in any 30 minute trial with 13 dogs, 2nd place with 20 dogs or more, and the different placements for a 1hr trial?

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Slow down there boys and gals, I strongly doubt that the AKC will let them run on all the courses and that the people that run Ames are going to allow the AKC to release birds as they normally do. Ames is a wild bird area, we talk about the demise of wild birds there and you are going to release hundreds of sick dying pen razed hawk bait on those ground, I DON”T THINK SO!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Why at Ames or why do I hope its true?
:lol: Both. Why do you hope it's true it's at Ames?

Just curious I guess as to why or what your perception is of the significance of having it there. The format is typically the same 1/2 hour loop (I guess an hour loop for the nonretrieve), pen raised dropped birds usually in the same spots, over and over...and over and over...and over... Kind of misses the "mystic" or "spirit" of competing on grounds like that IMO. For instance this years AKC gundog ch. deal is at Milepost 9 which certainly carries some sort of mystic in that it's sort of a multiple hour course "rough, tough" western chukar grounds where they hold Nat'l Ch qualifier AA trials and more but truth is the AKC GD trial runs a loop in the low country barely getting out of sight of camp...doesn't really capture the true test of the place IMO - now is that important or not, depends on your perspective I guess. In the end, the excitement or enthusiasm over the venue location for this trial usually boils down to how close to your home it is (as Brenda mentions) vs. it's test/significance to birddogdom. All that said, like any competition I enter my hounds in, I'd be ecstatic whereever it was held including a Wal Mart parking lot or soccer field if one of my delinquents ever did the highly unlikely feat of winning it!! :lol: :lol:

KAABOOOOOOMMMMM! (for Dave)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

We have all heard that the Nat at Ames is not really a true test of a dog yet some folks will/are excited to have it on the hallowed grounds? Which is it?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:Slow down there boys and gals, I strongly doubt that the AKC will let them run on all the courses and that the people that run Ames are going to allow the AKC to release birds as they normally do. Ames is a wild bird area, we talk about the demise of wild birds there and you are going to release hundreds of sick dying pen razed hawk bait on those ground, I DON”T THINK SO!
Joe,

Ames is not, and has not been for many decades, a wild bird area. There are pen raised quail released on those grounds, including this year.

What there isn't, to my knowledge, are throw-down trials held on those grounds or chukars released on those grounds for kill-on-course purposes.

FWIW,
Dave

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Well Doug I kind of agree with you, if they ran it like they run the NC that would be one thing, but we all know, the AKC is NOT into making thing difficult, the easier they make it the better. Unfortunately someone is going to win and I am sure they are going to say “see GSPs can run at Ames”, but those of us that have been there know all they are going to do is give the AKC is 500 or so acres to run round and around and around. I say run it the same way the run the National Championship on wild birds, then you can talk!

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm

DGFavor wrote:
Why at Ames or why do I hope its true?
:lol: Both. Why do you hope it's true it's at Ames?

Just curious I guess as to why or what your perception is of the significance of having it there. The format is typically the same 1/2 hour loop (I guess an hour loop for the nonretrieve), pen raised dropped birds usually in the same spots, over and over...and over and over...and over... Kind of misses the "mystic" or "spirit" of competing on grounds like that IMO. For instance this years AKC gundog ch. deal is at Milepost 9 which certainly carries some sort of mystic in that it's sort of a multiple hour course "rough, tough" western chukar grounds where they hold Nat'l Ch qualifier AA trials and more but truth is the AKC GD trial runs a loop in the low country barely getting out of sight of camp...doesn't really capture the true test of the place IMO - now is that important or not, depends on your perspective I guess. In the end, the excitement or enthusiasm over the venue location for this trial usually boils down to how close to your home it is (as Brenda mentions) vs. it's test/significance to birddogdom. All that said, like any competition I enter my hounds in, I'd be ecstatic whereever it was held including a Wal Mart parking lot or soccer field if one of my delinquents ever did the highly unlikely feat of winning it!! :lol: :lol:

KAABOOOOOOMMMMM! (for Dave)
Its not that I think Ames is so storied, but it would be a blast to see what its all about, and its within 5 hours of my house. Plus, my trainer typically doesn't attend the ABC GD Nationals. For my pup to run at Nationals, she will have to run a little bigger and qualify for AA Nationals (which isn't out of the question), or run one of the AKC GD NC trials close enough to the east coast. Ames would fill that void and I'd get to see her run against some of the best GD's in the country. I know how tough it would be to win, and to be honest, I would like them to make the course very tough, but Id still love to see her get a chance to run there. Plus, for a young dog, shes done a pretty nice job so far, and I think she could compete.

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 pm

DGFavor wrote: For instance this years AKC gundog ch. deal is at Milepost 9 which certainly carries some sort of mystic in that it's sort of a multiple hour course "rough, tough" western chukar grounds where they hold Nat'l Ch qualifier AA trials and more but truth is the AKC GD trial runs a loop in the low country barely getting out of sight of camp..
Now why did you have go hurt me like that? :( I'm flying out to go to this years AKC GDC and I really wanted the rough, tough, wild west..getting a little western kinda event.
Now I hear it's in the Walmart parking lot?
Dan

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Now why did you have go hurt me like that? I'm flying out to go to this years AKC GDC and I really wanted the rough, tough, wild west..getting a little western kinda event.
Now I hear it's in the Walmart parking lot?
:lol: :lol: It's still plenty tough and you won't wanna fall off! Certainly the dogs don't know the "boundaries" and the winners I'd bet will be the ones that head for the high country even if "the course" doesn't. :wink:

We can grab a couple dogs and horses, run out and see if we can't find a few species of the native poultry, lame up a horse or two and maybe get life flighted into town if you want. :lol: :lol:

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

David I know that, by the time they bring dogs into the picture those birds are pretty dam wild. Even that is a lot more testing than an out of bag trial and again they are not going to see the same ground that they run the NC on. You know I’m not into trying to make as easy as you can, but to rase the difficulty to the level of the title!

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

DGFavor wrote:
We can grab a couple dogs and horses, run out and see if we can't find a few species of the native poultry, lame up a horse or two and maybe get life flighted into town if you want. :lol: :lol:
Sounds a lot like, "Hold my beer....and watch this." I fly into Boise on the 24th. Hope you can make it, be nice to meet ya.
Dan

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Blasphemy.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

The word is that it will be held at Ames, February 2012, I think it's the week after the National Championship, or so I was told. The AKC reps. were at Ames while I was there on the 17th, 18th and 19th of this month to look at the grounds and set everything up.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Vonrommel wrote:The word is that it will be held at Ames, February 2012, I think it's the week after the National Championship, or so I was told. The AKC reps. were at Ames while I was there on the 17th, 18th and 19th of this month to look at the grounds and set everything up.
On top of the NGSPA Region 5 and NGPDA National Championship.

How convenient!

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm

It could have been 2 weeks after (?), don't qoute me on that, but it will be after.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 am

Its not that I think Ames is so storied, but it would be a blast to see what its all about, and its within 5 hours of my house. Plus, my trainer typically doesn't attend the ABC GD Nationals. For my pup to run at Nationals, she will have to run a little bigger and qualify for AA Nationals (which isn't out of the question), or run one of the AKC GD NC trials close enough to the east coast. Ames would fill that void and I'd get to see her run against some of the best GD's in the country. I know how tough it would be to win, and to be honest, I would like them to make the course very tough, but Id still love to see her get a chance to run there. Plus, for a young dog, shes done a pretty nice job so far, and I think she could compete.
Sounds good to me! Good luck, hope it works out - should be as good a venue as any! Be cool if they rolled around there at least in continuous courses and used the place so it didn't feel like playing T ball in a major league baseball diamond if that makes sense. :mrgreen:

remmy

Post by remmy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 am

Vonrommel wrote:It could have been 2 weeks after (?), don't qoute me on that, but it will be after.
Hopefully, it's not after...The Region 5 is March 7-12 this year followed by the All Breed. The Nat GD Championship usually takes a week and a half to two weeks to complete doesn't it? So, if its in Feb, like you said, it should end a few days before Reg 5.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

remmy wrote:
Hopefully, it's not after...The Region 5 is March 7-12 this year followed by the All Breed. The Nat GD Championship usually takes a week and a half to two weeks to complete doesn't it? So, if its in Feb, like you said, it should end a few days before Reg 5.

OK, OK. The Exact date I was told was "it will start on Feb. 27th, 2012".
I volunteered to help, if needed.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:42 am

It is true, my buddy, a local, Ken Blackman was very involved and told me months ago it was a real possibility. They are going to run 1 hour non-retrieving only on one course, there will be a 12 dog second series. They are estimating 175+ dogs and it will take close to 2 weeks. They have never allowed Sunday running before.

Ames seems happy to get them, and AKC seems happy to be going there.

I had my doubts, as the Ames Amateur does not even have a Shooting Dog stake, but I was wrong. Like Joe Walker, a Trustee of the National FTA said, times change, money is important.

What I hate is that I am nearly sure that Ken could have gotten the Brittany NC there, but the ABC did not follow up. Giving them the benefit of the doubt it could have been the cost, but they spend a good bit of money at Booneville.

Neil

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am

Neil wrote:What I hate is that I am nearly sure that Ken could have gotten the Brittany NC there, but the ABC did not follow up. Giving them the benefit of the doubt it could have been the cost, but they spend a good bit of money at Booneville.

Neil
The fact that the Brit AA and GD NC's are held at two different places and two different times is a huge mistake by the ABC in my opinion. Theres a few Pro's who don't go to both because of this, and my dog will probably never run at the ABC GD NC because of it. They would get so many more entry's if they had nationals at one place, and one time. It would be nice to see a Derby NC as well. IMO the ABC is missing out on a lot of money because of "tradition".

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 am

I sure don't know the answer, but they are at Booneville for two weeks just for the Open and Amateur All-Age, and two weeks in Ionia for the Open and Amateur Gun Dog, it would take at least 3 1/2 weeks to run them all together.

We used to have a Futurity run-off ran at the same time as the A-A NC, but it took too much time and put too much pressure on the grounds. They even tried to move it up the road to Conway a year or two, and then just dropped it. We really do not get many entries for the Futurites, the Prairie State Derby nor the Victoria Nationale, with Britts there just does not seems to be that much interest in Derbies other than weekend trials.

The ABC Board is trying, there is lot to consider that we often do not understand. They listen, let your Regional Directors know your opinion.

But not to hold the A-A NC at Ames were it available, and I think it was, just seems sad.

Neil

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Neil what is sad is that a few years ago they voted down moving our Brittany nationals to Eureka, that is atleast actual ALL AGE grounds and probbaly som eof the best grounds in the country. Between Bectels place and Olivers they had set up to run continous 9 hours of course!!! You could run dogs all day and never touch the same piece of ground twice in the same day!!! Now that is cool, but alas it was voted down... There a numerous reasons as to why but thats neither here nor there and I won't open that can of worms on the interent!!

Seems neat to me to have the AKC GD Nationals at Ames!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs wrote:Neil what is sad is that a few years ago they voted down moving our Brittany nationals to Eureka, that is atleast actual ALL AGE grounds and probbaly som eof the best grounds in the country. Between Bectels place and Olivers they had set up to run continous 9 hours of course!!! You could run dogs all day and never touch the same piece of ground twice in the same day!!! Now that is cool, but alas it was voted down... There a numerous reasons as to why but thats neither here nor there and I won't open that can of worms on the interent!!

Seems neat to me to have the AKC GD Nationals at Ames!
Rob,

You need to get out a little bit man. IMO there are way better grounds than Eureka. Just because you don't touch the same piece of ground twice isn't the whole reason grounds are good. To each his own, but I feel there are better grounds around.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
Rob,

You need to get out a little bit man. IMO there are way better grounds than Eureka. Just because you don't touch the same piece of ground twice isn't the whole reason grounds are good. To each his own, but I feel there are better grounds around.
Could you pm me?...the Gordon is at Bechtel's through 2012...and I'm on the hunt for something after.
Dan