AKC 2011 Gun Dog. Ch event coverage

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: AKC 2011 Gun Dog. Ch event coverage

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Nasty weather. Also looks like Bugsy Favor is back on the chaingang.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 pm

:lol: :lol: Yah, we've had better days - Bugs was scheduled for the 7th brace - roughly late afternoon Tuesday at the earliest I'm told if all goes smooth, maybe 1st brace Wednesday morning. I fed the dogs before I went into work late Monday afternoon figuring that'd be just right for Bugs if he ran the next afternoon as predicted. Talked to my wife that evening while at work...she told me she just came in from feeding the dogs. Nice :twisted: ...nothing like 8 cups 'o Pro Plan the night before you run 'em!! I worked till midnight Monday, made it to bed a little after 1am, up at 5am, loaded and on the road by 6am for a 5.5 hour drive to the grounds, $250 worth o' diesel in the tanks, a Monster and breakfast bar, and off we go into a wicked fuel devouring head wind. 4 hours later swing by to grab my trusted scout and his mount in Boise, a round of bacon cheeseburgers to fuel up my crew in Marsing then up the hill to leisurely stake out, saddle up, air dogs, shake some hands, get ready to run Bugs in a couple hours, etc. Hit the grounds about 12:30, casually looking for a place to park and noticed I was getting chased down by, as near as I could tell, a few of my rabid fans...actually they were the trial organizers trying to tell me to get my azz to the other end of the course pronto, I'm in the next brace and they've been out about 40" with the current brace. Nice!! We wheel'r around, throttle up, and rattle into the breakaway at the end of the course just as the whole entourage is arriving from the previous brace. Catch shizz from everyone as we throw saddles on horses, stick a pistol in my pocket, grab Bugs out of the box he's been in for 6+ hours still looking like he swallowed a volleyball, and turn him loose. Bugs breaks away, pees a few times, goes #2 a handful of times (about 8 cups of Pro Plan worth), kinda rollin' around lookin' like he might gundog it for me for awhile anyway and maybe we'll get to the other end together...10" later, I'm calling point for Bugs...10" 2 seconds later, waving it off, wondering what the hellz he doin' creeping around like a lion stalking dinner...10" 5 seconds later, bird in the air, Bugs makes helluva an attempt to catch it...10" 20 seconds later, Bugs in harness...turn around, put my head down, ponder what I might have done in my life to deserve such a fate for the few minute ride back to my trailer, and 15" after breaking away, I'm back at my trailer done running dogs for the season. :lol: :lol: Took me 10X longer to type this than it did to run my dog! Sad thing is...I've had worse outings!! :lol: :lol:

Good trial, I had a ton of fun just riding, visiting, seeing folks I haven't seen in a long time...1st AKC event I've been to in about 3 years. Snowed out this afternoon so didn't get as much riding in as we'd hoped - back home tomorrow. Some nice performances already - they'll have a good champion for sure. Tried to glob onto a winning effort from anyone that'd take me on their team and had a fun time scouting Jake for Dean and George for Brian - they fired some shells for sure! Good luck to the rest, hope the weather perks up for 'em.
Last edited by DGFavor on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for the great color commentary! Sorry about Bugs hitting the wall right off the pole. Any given Sunday, you know...... :mrgreen:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:22 am

You win some you should lose, you lose some you should win, and then there are others where you need to be able to appreciate the beauty in the day, cause that's all your gonna get.

Worth it just to ride under that big sky.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:36 am

Thats why it is very hard for me to travel across country for a big event...I have visions of something simular, but much more money and travel time:( Fun reading about it. :lol:
brenda

Carl Porter

Post by Carl Porter » Sun May 01, 2011 8:20 am

Doug, That was funny. Been there done that. Be thankful you didnt drive 1500 miles for all that excitement. I had one go on point before I mounted my horse at the start line and after saying alright about 10 times he ripped the bird out planted 2 feet in front of the start line. Maybe not planted but, never the less it was there. I didnt even get to blow my whistle.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Anonymous
www.huntingdogtrainer.net

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Saw they finally got'r done...well the first part at least! Idaho spring weather, gotta love it!! After I bombed out with my dog I adopted a new strategy as I mentioned:
Tried to glob onto a winning effort from anyone that'd take me on their team and had a fun time scouting Jake for Dean and George for Brian
Huge congrats to Brian and George - well done and I'm excited to have had a first hand, front row seat of their effort - might have even helped more than I hurt for once!! :lol: :lol: Very cool! George did a real nice job, about exactly the performance I thought it would take to win that trial and told my wife when we were done I thought he'd got'r done. Happy for 'em. I saw the 3rd place dog go also and it really did a super job as well. Congrats to all of 'em! :mrgreen:

Carl Porter

Post by Carl Porter » Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Do you know the placements?
-Anonymous

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Winning the 18th renewal of the AKC Pointing Breed Gun Dog Championship was FC/AFC Foxglove’s Making A Buck (George) a German Shorthair male owned by Karen Niffenegger and Brian Hill and handled by Brian. This GSP male appeared in the fourth brace of the afternoon on Wednesday April 27.

HVK’s High Flying Kyte went Runner-up to the Champion. This Brittany male which ran in the third brace of the stake is owned by Dan Doiron. Paul Doiron capably handled his brother’s dog.

Third place went to DC Terra’s Cabo Wabo (Sammy) a Brittany male owned by Tom White and Margaret Horstmeyer and handled by Tom. Sammy was in the second brace to run on Wednesday morning April 28.

FC/AFC Foxgloves Uptown Girl (Ally) a German Shorthair female owned by Brian Hill and Karen Niffenegger and handled by Brian was awarded fourth place. Ally appeared in the last brace on the first day of the Championship.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 am

might have even helped more than I hurt for once!!
Doc,

The write up would suggest no less. Congratulations to that team.

regards,

Joe

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 am

LOVED the commentary!!..i think someone should do a book with experiences like this, I'D BUY IT :mrgreen: sorry how things went but it sounds like everything else was worth the ride :wink: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Carl Porter

Post by Carl Porter » Fri May 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Call backs for the second series were posted as;

FC Quest Top of the Marc (Marc) Kathleen Boyd owner, Randy Berry handler with Granmars One Rough Diamond (Millie) B F Doyel and Elaine Price owners, Paul Doiron handler

3D’s Dixie’s Mocha Jo (Mocha) GSP F Rick Dodge owner with FC Say Hey’s Georgia Peach (Ty) GSP F John Derespini owner, Leroy Merrell handler

NFC/DC/AFC VHK’s Leapin Lizzie (Lizzie) GSP F Judy Hewett owner, Randy Berry handler with Oakridge’s Janie of Golden West (Janie) Steve Passas owner and handler

DC Drycreek’s Tommy By Tommy (Tommy) V M Kathleen Boyd, Nancy Colwell and Robert Studer owners, Randy Berry handler with FC/AFC Foxgloves Take It to the Limit (Ace) Brian Hill owner and handler

KC Moen’s Rockin Buzzsaw Billy MH (Rocky) Gary Moen owner and handler with FC Blue Dot of Nick’s Image (Lucy) GSP F Scott Kramer owner, Leroy Merrell owner

NFC/FC/AFC Tonelli’s Sky High (Sky) GSP M Kathleen Boyd owner, Randy Berry handler with FC Paige VI William Lim owner, Paul Doiron handler

CH Wireswest Mardi Gras (Stoli) GWP M Meg Eden owner and handler with FC/AFC Foxgloves Uptown Girl (Ally) GSP F Brian Hill & Karen Niffenegger owners, Brian Hill handler
-Anonymous

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 am

Finally got home from the AKC GD CH late Thursday nite. Left the grounds on Tuesday after placements (around 1pm), and changing a flat on the trailer. Put together a small P/E.

This one is of camp from "The Rock Pile", I hear that's what the AF guys call it.

I gotta say, the country is VAST! I had the fortune to scout a couple dogs for Trena Cardwell, one in the the first brace that went on a tour of the area. Patch made a really logical move up a draw to the top of some big rise...problem was that wasn't the way the course was going. So me, the flatlander, sets off on a journey that would impress 'ol Doc Favor. They went for the the tracker, and had really good tone...just thought the dog was putting the dodge on us. Went back to camp for another tracker, change batteries. So we sit in camp...no tone. Finally I get a faint beep to the NE of camp. Off we go...for 3 hours! We went up over this....without the snow. To the left of the "little" rock on the right you can see horse tracks from the cast off, the course turns right behind the rock.

The following are some pictures a friend took of my Buck dogs brace. The bracemate "exit stage" left right after cast off.

Waitin' to go.

Dropping into the gulch to cross the creek.

First find...at 6 minutes. Throw down bird.

The next find, another throw down.

Another with me helpin'

And the end of he who can't keep his feet still at 32 minutes.

We had played yank and turn to get him through the "Rock Pile" and had just started t give him his head. And the wind was startin' to blow pretty good right into his face. But he was starting to make some wide sweeping casts. He found himself a pretty good distance out on a grassy flat...winded some birds and eased into point. At which time he decided to lift a front leg. Well that pair of Huns wasn't havin' any of that and they bailed....right over his head. And he went with'em.

And a pic of the snow that made for 2 1/2 days of delay.

Never did get to meet Doc Favor...heard he was there.
Dan

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 am

Good report!! See above - I wasn't there for long and I changed my name after I ran my dog!! :lol: :lol: I did see your brace though, my wife and I were plantin' birds, in fact I rode up and threw down another where your dog had his 2nd find. Didn't realize who you were till just now looking at your pics!! Too bad the weather kind of ruled the roost but sounds like you had a good time, got to get up in the higher country a little chasing dogs and get a feel for the country.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 pm

The Retrieving Championship Winners

Chairman Jon Young made the announcement of winners at the conclusion of the running. The results were well received and are as follows:

Champion: NFC/DC/AFC VHK’s Leapin Lizzie (Lizzie) GSP F Judy Hewett owner, Randy Berry handler

Runner-Up Champion: DC Drycreek’s Tommy By Tommy (Runner-up Champion) owned by Kathleen Boyd, Nancy Colwell and Robert Studer and handled by Randy Berry

Third Place: FC Quest Top of the Marc (Marc) Kathleen Boyd owner, Randy Berry handler

Fourth Place: FC Paige VI B F William Lim owner, Paul Doiron handler
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Vision

Post by Vision » Sun May 08, 2011 6:16 pm

What a trip for Randy Berry. That will boost business

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun May 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Congrats to Randy Berry.

For those interested Lizzie won the retrieving stake 3 years ago in Reno, Nevada making her a 2x NGDC

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Pretty lame, really, that there is nothing on the AKC website or Facebook page, nor on the GSPCA's site. God bless agility and national specialty shows......

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon May 09, 2011 4:52 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Pretty lame, really, that there is nothing on the AKC website or Facebook page, nor on the GSPCA's site. God bless agility and national specialty shows......
Kinda like AFTCA then...right?
Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon May 09, 2011 4:54 am

DGFavor wrote:my wife and I were plantin' birds, in fact I rode up and threw down another where your dog had his 2nd find.
I did hear that some high country hillbilly was there with a supermodel. 8)
Dan

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 am

Very colorful commentary! Sorry about the way things turned out, mama said there'd be days like this!

remmy

Post by remmy » Thu May 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Pretty lame, really, that there is nothing on the AKC website or Facebook page, nor on the GSPCA's site. God bless agility and national specialty shows......
??? The OP's link has all the information you need, brace details, pictures and winners. I don't know about Facebook, since I'm not on it. GSPCA has nothing to do with this event. It is an AKC pointing breed championship open to all pointing breeds, not just GSP.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/