AF or AKC Trials

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Ahumphers91a

AF or AKC Trials

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

So which trials are a better "test" of a shorthair? Which is the better title, AKC or AF titles?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: AF or AKC Trials

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Unless you are running all breed AF, I don't think it matters.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I believe all the NGSPA events are run under the amateur field trial clubs of america or american field rules.

And for the record I would prefer to run in AF.......

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Doesn't make much difference for restricted breed trials, and no difference at all for dual-sanctioned trials.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:08 pm

They aren't a test at all. They are a trial. If they were a test everyone could be a "winner". If you want to be successful you test. If you want to be a winner you trial. AKC or AF if you win its a better test for the dog but AF is going to make the dog put it down for a longer time period.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 pm

For GSP's anymore no difference. Just like everything in the good ole USA all things get homogenized into one and the same.

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 am

I would tend to give you two answers, AF is a better test if you are running against pointers and setters and you are somehow able to compete at Ames, Canada, prairies, etc. However, in reality, our shooting dogs are just as good, from what I've seen, but their AA dogs are on another planet from our dogs. American Field titles, achieved at hour championships, species and regions mean a ton to those who run AF and who really understand the level of those dogs. Our Booneville nationals is always a great test of dogs as it includes many of the best of the breed. These championships are all hour stakes, except for Derby Classics which are 30 minutes.

AKC is still the main benchmark for shorthairs mainly because more run AKC, bigger pool of competitors, the FC and FC titles are nice titles for any dog, and may puppy buyers put more credence in the AKC FC and AFC titles. Our GSPCA Nationals at Eureka is a great test on great grounds. If you get a part of the OGD for example, 4 places out of nearly 100 dogs, you've done something. The AA is usually 35-50 really good dogs, and again, if you get a part of it, you've done something. Weekend AKC trials offer some excellent competition and a lot of fun. Even if you are new, have a 6 month old pup, you can play.

IMHO, AF, and especially hour championships, regions and species, are great tests, for an hour. The hour is often what will separate the weekend 30 minute dog from the hard going hour dog. Again, only my opinion. If you are interested, I would tell you to look on akc.org and find a trial near you and go. Maybe a walking trial if you don't have a horse. Spectating at a walking trial is far easier than at a horseback event. Although, walking 5 or 6 braces is hard no matter who you are. 'Course I'm so fat, walking gets tough on the breakaway!!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am

Now, does AF trials have puppy derby's like the akc? And do they use birds?

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 am

The two are much closer to being the same in near past, the puppy/derby are very close. When I started u did not have to have a bird pointed to win a derby, akc now requires a point to place or win.

Both organizations are good and good for the breeds they represent,i run in both.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Vision

Post by Vision » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 am

Here is a break down for you.

Weekend trials both AKC, and AF typically run 1/2 hour stakes for everything but puppies, which are 20 -30 minutes. Birds are planted in all stakes but puppy typically. I say typically because local clubs have discretion as to planting of birds. AF trials are pop gun trials, AKC broke stakes can at the discretion of the sponsoring club have retrieving stakes.

Then you have AF Championship stakes. These are 1 hour usually, on wild birds usually. If you win your dog can have the CH title, not to be confused with CH of AKC show Championships.

Then you have AKC Breed National Championships, and AF Breed Championships like the NPSGA National held in Booneville Ark.

You really need to venture out to some of the trials held here in Utah. You can learn more in an hour at a trial than you can learn in a month on the internet.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 am

The GSPCU is holding an AKC trial in Elberta on 11/12 - 11/13. Come watch and ask questions. We can probably even round up a horse for you to ride a few braces.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:26 am

Dirtysteve wrote:The GSPCU is holding an AKC trial in Elberta on 11/12 - 11/13. Come watch and ask questions. We can probably even round up a horse for you to ride a few braces.
Nice, sounds fun. If I don't make that one, the Dec. trial will be a sure shot. I haven't been on a horse since I was like 10..lol..17 years..haha. :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:So which trials are a better "test" of a shorthair? Which is the better title, AKC or AF titles?
A NAVHDA Utility Test........! :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Ahumphers91a wrote:So which trials are a better "test" of a shorthair? Which is the better title, AKC or AF titles?

Coveyrise64
Duck, duck, goose. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64

There you go trying to push those bootlickers on everyone again.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

gpblitz wrote:Go run them all !!! :D
ACooper wrote:Coveyrise64 wrote:
Ahumphers91a wrote:
So which trials are a better "test" of a shorthair? Which is the better title, AKC or AF titles?

A NAVHDA Utility Test........!

Coveyrise64

There you go trying to push those bootlickers on everyone again.
Those wet pant legs must not be from the morning DEW !!! :lol: :lol:
They'll only get wet if your standing still..... :mrgreen:
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:39 am

run everything. If it is in your area. Yes, the AF's tend to be longer running and that is what you train for. If your dog can run AF it will handle AKC. As for the birds, it is true that they don't plant bird for the puppy stakes but in most cases the open puppy and walking pups run at the end of the day after most of your gundog events. So, the fields have plenty of birds from the other events. Get a primer and shoot at the birds you do see.

I run mostly AKC due to the lack of a horse. I am currently looking for the AF trials. I have found one to go to on Dec 10. So, I am looking forward to it. After speaking to several about the AF trials at the AKC trials. I was told that if you let them know that you do not have a horse when registering your dog they will find you one to ride for your brace.

Good luck and go run.

Joe