NSTRA NOITALL

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
jimssetters

NSTRA NOITALL

Post by jimssetters » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Still thinking about trials and would like someone with all the info to spill their guts. Why NSTRA over AKC trails? I want to EARN a title for my dog or dogs, how much cash should i look at per dog. I realize all dogs are not made of champion quality or everyone would do it and they would be worth nothing.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: NSTRA NOITALL

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Lol doing something just to get a championship doesn't sound like you are going to have fun if you look at it that way. I would have quit trialing if all I wanted was a championship.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 pm

It really shouldn't be about one over the other they both take training they both take effort they both have some elements required in order to get those wins and placements to attain a title

Bottom line what You enjoy and have fun doing.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 pm

I dont know about the fun yet i havent ran any events. I did have fun this weekend at the NUCS. It does run alittle more pricey, but it is close too. If i pay to play I better have something to show for it. WIFEY POO :wink:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

jimssetters wrote:If i pay to play I better have something to show for it. WIFEY POO :wink:
If you don't have a good enough dog you can pay forever. If you aren't a skilled enough trainer you can pay forever. If you aren't a good enough handler you can pay forever. Occasionally a new fellow gets a dog that is so good it makes up for the next two, but that is rarer than rare.

Whether you win or not you will be a better dogman for having played. Whether you win or not you will have a better dog than when you started. Whether you win or not you will be spending time doing something that gives you satisfaction and a release from your daily work grind. Does WIFEY POO understand?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Funny thing about wifey poo... Unless she is gettibg some expensive glasses, pants, shirts, shoes, new car (Audi), or a shopping spree she will not be impressed at anything my dog does!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 pm

The way I got around the wifey poo was gave up bow hunting. I was in the woods 4 to 5 times a week. When she realized I would only be gone Saturday and Maybe sunday, she was all for it.

See you are looking at this all wrong. You go to trials to meet new people, run your dog and watch them have fun doing what they were bred to do, learn new ways to work on your dog, and find great contacts that you can work with and train with. You never know, you just may start winning some too. If you go to the trials with all of these in mind then you will never leave disappointed. As for the money, I have a wife and three hoodlums. If I wasn't trialing then they would be finding a way to get rid of that money anyway.

Try this for a few years and then build a decent string and then take it serious.

Go and have fun, forget the rest,

Joe

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 pm

I've never had an upland bird dog before the pup I have now and NSTRA appealed to me because it seems to be more complimentary to my foot hunting style. Weren't trials developed so that people could play with their dogs year round? :lol: Seems to me it's supposed to be fun and make better bird stalking machines out of both of you (and maybe meet some fun folks who like the same stuff). I realize there are people that do it seriously and my hat's off, they're developing the breeding stock for all of us and exercising skills that I would love to develop some day. Seems to me that really the only way to get there is to train, hunt, make mistakes, learn, and have a good time.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:39 am

A guy that competed in the Mo-Kan region, and competed well, figured it took him about $3,500 to put a NSTRA Ch title on each of his dogs. This included all entry fees and travel expenses. He did not run in other regions, but hit as many trials in his region as he could. I think on average, it took 3 seasons to put his first Ch on each of his dogs. Once he got the first ch, the next Championships came quicker.

His dogs were the real deal and both he and his dogs knew how to play the game.

Hope that helps, good luck.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Can you imagine how much money it to Nolan Huffman to put those 32x Champion titles on Nolan's Last Bullet aka Buddy much less all the trials he had to drive to and win
...as you in any format can go to all the trials in the world and if you dog isn't winning it is not gonna get a title
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I think on average, it took 3 seasons to put his first Ch on each of his dogs. Once he got the first ch, the next Championships came quicker.

Did the next championships come faster because he learned the game or some other reason? I had my Belle evaluated today by someone who used to run NSTRA. I was told she could play the game but needed alot more work. A few cut throats to watch for but i guess that is everyday life work and play. Thanks for the info and I will keep reading up NSTRA, already found a few within driving distance if I can get out of work. Also what is a good price for someelse running your dog?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 pm

If your dog isnt ready then the price paid for someone else to run it is a non-factor. Sounds like you might be interested in a trainer to handle your dog in trials and get it prepared to be competitive. Most good trainers are going to run you 5-10,000 a month. Depends on what your looking for but the sky is the limit on what you can spend on these animals.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Most trainers I know for on the road trialing are about 400-700 a months some charge part of their fuel expenses with all the clients ..
AKC trials are a bit different the NSTRA as NSTRA they limit how many dogs a person can handle in one field if the trial is full of people they can only handle 3 dogs if the trial is having a hard time filling they can run 5 dogs

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm

5-10,000 for a nstra trainer/ handler? Lol I wish there was that much money in it.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

topher40 wrote:If your dog isnt ready then the price paid for someone else to run it is a non-factor. Sounds like you might be interested in a trainer to handle your dog in trials and get it prepared to be competitive. Most good trainers are going to run you 5-10,000 a month. Depends on what your looking for but the sky is the limit on what you can spend on these animals.
I think you got an extra zero?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 pm

oops,I did. :lol: Still trialing isnt a cheap game no matter the flavor. Especially if your having the dog trained, and campaigned by someone else.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:07 pm

slistoe wrote:
topher40 wrote:If your dog isnt ready then the price paid for someone else to run it is a non-factor. Sounds like you might be interested in a trainer to handle your dog in trials and get it prepared to be competitive. Most good trainers are going to run you 5-10,000 a month. Depends on what your looking for but the sky is the limit on what you can spend on these animals.
I think you got an extra zero?[/quote

Depends on how many dogs you have. Some people are pretty close.... If not more!

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Misunderstood, I would finish my dog myself. My problem is working every weekend. I would plan on the upcoming season which should give me time. I need backing and alittle more run. We didnt talk about steady to wing and shot, is that needed as well?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Put it this way that dog at minimum has to be steady to the flush..that means your dog can not be in motion until the bird leaves its resting place

now the more trained you have your dog the better they will look on point and you can also have you dog steady and broke to release also as you can advance to your dog or say a release command but where ever you are when your dog breaks for the retrieve that is where you must stay until you dog brings the bird to you..if you move after the dog has released you will loose your retrieve..one exception to the rule is if you are in a heavy cover you can ask the judge if you can step to the side to get out of the heavy spot but that is it

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Can you move at all if your shot is not clear? Dont really understand if your talking about the dog moving as soon as the bird is trying to get up or the shot going off.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 pm

when you are going to flush the bird your dog has to remain on point.

your dog can break after the bird is flushed BUT it is better if the dog is broke to the shot Ie that the dog doesn't go for a retrieve until you shoot at the bird

some people train their dog to be steady to release this means either they go tap the dog on the head or tell the dog to fetch

The dog can not flush the bird or be in motion before You flush the bird if the dog is moving before the bird is flushed then you loose the point scores

there are some exceptions but I do not want to confuse you completely yet LOL

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 am

What are the start and finish dates for a year in NSTRA? Does it really matter since it takes awile to get your points? I guess i mean you gotta start somewhere.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am

You never loose your points for your championships but here are some other point or placement based trails or awards where what you do during a certain time period to qualify for

TOP PERFORMANCE http://www.nstra.org/current_standings_New.htm
This competition is based on all points earned (excluding invitational points) from June 1st, 2011 through May 31st, 2012.
Regional elimination trial and championship trial points are not included in this calculation.

Early September is the date of the Endurance Classic, the second revolving trial, with the site determined by invitation. Entry limit is 128, based on points earned from June 1st to May 31st of the previous year.

The Quail Invitational is held in late February, with the site determined by invitations extended by NSTRA regions. Entry limit is 128 and qualification is based on points earned in recognized trials from November lst to October 31st of the previous year

The Trial of Champions is held each year at Amo, Indiana. The trial shall begin as needed to be completed on the last Saturday of April. It is open to all dogs that have attained Championship status by February 1 of that year. If Championship status is earned after Feb. 1st but before April 1st those dogs may enter as paid standby dogs, eligible to win

The Dog of the Year Trial begins the end of October with a 192 dog limit. Each region is represented with qualification based on a percentage basis. To participate in the dog of the Year Trial, your dog must first qualify at the Regional Championship trials held in each region. Some regions also elect to send their high point dog each year.

The Performance Classic Championship trial was held this year in Waverly, Nebraska at the Rock Creek Field Trial Association. With 128 entries and a format similar to the Grand National this trial was a huge success.

Historically, the Grand National Invitational Championship Trial has been promoted as the “best of the best”. Qualification for this trial is based on participation in one of the other championship trials, participation in a region elimination trial or Top Performance placement during the past year

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 am

jimssetters wrote: If i pay to play I better have something to show for it. WIFEY POO :wink:
I tried the "get a new wife" method until I got one that looks forward to me going to a trial. I don't have receipts to calculate if it was cheaper that way or buying them a lifetime membership to Nordstroms.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am

Vision wrote:
jimssetters wrote: If i pay to play I better have something to show for it. WIFEY POO :wink:
I tried the "get a new wife" method until I got one that looks forward to me going to a trial. I don't have receipts to calculate if it was cheaper that way or buying them a lifetime membership to Nordstroms.
Cheaper to go your route......