NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
dockgsp

GSPCA NAGDC

Post by dockgsp » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 pm

GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship

May 5th to conclusion.
http://www.gspca.org for more info
Warriors Mark Hunting Lodge Ginter, Pa
Last edited by dockgsp on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raven34

Re: GSPCA NAGDC

Post by raven34 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

We will be there!!!! :D :D

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Right now my plans are to attend. Went to the last one in Iowa, good experience.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Trade you the location for the specialty!!! I'll go when its on the west coast or remotely close.

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

To Ultra/

This is why we rotate the NAGDC, so you get a shot at it.
To brag little, to lose well, to crow gently if in luck, to pay up, to own up, and to shut up if beaten, are the virtues of a sporting man.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Hey Vols,

See you there.
To brag little, to lose well, to crow gently if in luck, to pay up, to own up, and to shut up if beaten, are the virtues of a sporting man.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

2 hours from the house..... kinda hard not to go, even if I can't run a dog myself! :lol: 8)
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 pm

I plan on being there to drop a pup off and spend some time in the saddle.

jIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

raven34

Post by raven34 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 am

Should be a good time!!! Can't wait!!

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

My black boy will be at this one...$125 a run :roll: I sure hope Dolphy makes around the bend..sent my entries.
Raven how many dogs are you bringing??? Half dozen :wink:

raven34

Post by raven34 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm

[/quote]Raven how many dogs are you bringing??[quote]

Ummm only three! 8) The two black girls.......and the liver/ticked boy :D (Sally, Raven, Tucker)

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:16 pm

raven34 wrote:
Raven how many dogs are you bringing??

Ummm only three! 8) The two black girls.......and the liver/ticked boy :D (Sally, Raven, Tucker)
I heard that their is a Black GSP Ranked in the top 10 GSPCA Open Gundog???

msrkennels

Post by msrkennels » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm

I'ts just a regional ,trial so imo just a regional championship

raven34

Post by raven34 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:17 pm

msrkennels wrote:I'ts just a regional ,trial so imo just a regional championship
When the GSPCA NAGDC was held in Iowa last year, there were entries from all over...not just one region. :roll:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 pm

What does the N stand for in NAGDC?

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 pm

msrkennels wrote:I'ts just a regional ,trial so imo just a regional championship
Hey Jim,
Guess you never finished high school or just did not pay attention in geography class. I have entries from Wash State, Fla., Mo., Penna.New York, and New England so far.

Pretty big region most people would think.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Thinking about going, we'll see how tux runs in some upcoming walking trials. Think i'd enjoy riding braces for a few days.

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Ultra

Read the first post.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:32 pm

I think the one in Iowa had dogs from 13 states with 26 out of 30 going clean with birds shot on coarse . I imagine this trial will be about the same. Looking forward to coming up. Tony

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 pm

dockgsp wrote:Ultra

Read the first post.
Didn't get the hunt of sarcasm? Read the two above my post.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 pm

ultracarry wrote:
dockgsp wrote:Ultra

Read the first post.
Didn't get the hunt of sarcasm? Read the two above my post.
You're hard to read sometimes..... but I got it. You're one of those fella's that should use an emoticon from time to time... :P :lol:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

msrkennels

Post by msrkennels » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 pm

I looked at last years premium, no dogs from out west ,only a few from the east coast and a total of 30 dogs thats a weekend trial at best AND THATS IN THE HEART OF SHORTHAIR COUNTRY NOT TO IMPRESSIVE.

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 am

What's really NOT TOO IMPRESSIVE is someone who feels like they have to p#ss on the enthusiasm and achievements of others. A bad winner is as unsportsmanlike and negative for the sport as a bad loser.

Sounds like a great event, have fun all and good luck :D

raven34

Post by raven34 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:03 am

msrkennels wrote:I looked at last years premium, no dogs from out west ,only a few from the east coast and a total of 30 dogs thats a weekend trial at best AND THATS IN THE HEART OF SHORTHAIR COUNTRY NOT TO IMPRESSIVE.
So I take it you won't be coming ! :wink:

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 am

msrkennels wrote:I looked at last years premium, no dogs from out west ,only a few from the east coast and a total of 30 dogs thats a weekend trial at best AND THATS IN THE HEART OF SHORTHAIR COUNTRY NOT TO IMPRESSIVE.

My assumption would be that there were no dogs from out west because they CHOSE not to go..... Im pretty sure that Iowa Is fairly centrally located, especially when I know that there were at least 3 dogs there that can "bleep" near smell the Atlantic from their kennels....

If you don't want to go dont go.... But no need to be an "bleep" about it.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 pm

I am impressed that you got the list of dogs that ran from the premium, it usually comes from the running order or the catalog. You must be something special. I you were not so impatient about getting a slam on this board about the NAGDC,, you might have given what you were about to write a bit of forethought.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:49 pm

I really look forward to meeting you there and watching your dogs sweep the silk. Until then, I'd be working mighty hard to keep myself from looking like a fool.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I have refrained from commenting and since I've been on the road all day and just checked in. I don't think that there is anythings else that needs to be said, just ship him the silk and save the rest of us alot of heartache.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 am

I am going but just to get an education no one to run.... yet.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Come on man many of us realize how successful you have been in the trial world, but no need to down play a trial that you aren't even going to run.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 am

ACooper wrote:

Come on man many of us realize how successful you have been in the trial world, but no need to down play a trial that you aren't even going to run.
Ask him how many dogs were in the NGSPA national championship? Maybe it was just a regional event also!!!!

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 am

myerstenn wrote:
ACooper wrote:

Ask him how many dogs were in the NGSPA national championship? Maybe it was just a regional event also!!!!
I know James can be a pain in the backside with some of his statements. But, to say the even maybe that NGSPA is regional event is so far from the truth, I cannot believe someone would even think that. Dogs were entered from are parts of the country, from the east coast to the west coast , from the north to the south. The qualifications for this championship is the toughest in the GSP world.

The NAGDC is something started a few years ago by GSPCA to give people a chance to run their dogs from around the country, in which a championship is rotated. It is for those who do not normally run a dog off horseback. It was designed for the foot handling dog. The entries are not great as other championships but it is in the infancy stage. What I am trying to say different strokes for different folks. Good luck to all who have entered.

dockgsp

Post by dockgsp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

So far we have commitments for entries from Washington State, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, New York, Penna, Conn. New Jersey West Virginia, Mass, Ohio, and Mo. As long as they follow through with the entries we will be in good shape as far as national participation.

Dock
Oliver Wendell Holmes

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 am

Planning on coming and watching and meeting some fellow GDF members!

-John

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm

mcclinj wrote:Planning on coming and watching and meeting some fellow GDF members!

-John
Should have a fun time!

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

James isn't a pain, well yeah he is but so am I. However, hate to tell you, other than you nitpicking his words, he IS right. Those who know the dogs that are national caliber know what shows up generally at Booneville versus some small region that is more of a weekend trial in general quality. I would suggest each should ride the nationals at Booneville then ride many of the regions with similar numbers and then compare the dogs generally. Shoot, ride the Quail then ride some region in Connecticut, see what is entered. Ride The Quail and see if there aren't 50% plus that could win any weekend trial in the country. Then, go ride the Eureka national amateur, 95 dogs, 60 of which don't have the power, speed, style, stamina, etc. to really be competitive. Further, it's not from where the entries come, but the general quality of the entries. 90% of the amateurs who win at the national level, Booneville, Eureka, White Mountains, Ardmore, Sand Hills, won't be there.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm

trueblu wrote:90% of the amateurs who win at the national level, Booneville, Eureka, White Mountains, Ardmore, Sand Hills, won't be there.
Why is that? Because it's walking? Location?

raven34

Post by raven34 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Isn't this a thread under "EVENTS".... Basically letting people know an event is going to take place. CORRECT?
No one asked input from anyone who wanted to state "my game is better than your".... Too many people seem to feel the need to puff out their chest and prove their worth.
Why don't those of you who feel your dogs should be what is setting the standard come on out and set the standard... Would love to have you!!!

All I can say that it seems that the more that gets accomplished from some individuals, one thing that seems to disappear is the SPORTSMANSHIP that should follow these accomplishments... :(

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm

ACooper, I think it goes back to the "there's only so much time" in the day, in the year, so many days of vacation, etc. The greatest percentage of us have jobs, aren't independently wealthy, have to pick and choose what we attend. With Eureka, Booneville, The Quail, Sharptail, Chukar, Region 5, Region 7, Prairie Chicken, all in this area, it's tough. Combine that with weekend trials that most need to qualify their multiple dogs, it's tough to do it all. So, many of us have to decide what means the most. I know winning a walking gun dog championship is going to come low on the totem pole for me. Too far to drive to run one or two dogs, so yes, location plays a part for many. Further, let's face it, a win at Eureka or Booneville, or an All Age win at the Quail or a large region, means more than a walking championship to many, including me. Everyone sets his own benchmark. Everyone decides what is important. I, for one, put family way above dogs, horses, and trials, so I am more limited than many. To me, a gun dog win will always mean less than a shooting dog or all age win, particularly when I look at the overall competition level. Finally, if you only compare the GSPCA National Amateur Championship to the GSPCA Walking Gun Dog Championship, each takes 8-9 days plus, with travel, stake, travel back to most homes, so, if you only have two weeks of vacation, it's hard to do both of those, muchless the other zillion regions, species, etc.

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

I think the one in Iowa had dogs from 13 states with 26 out of 30 going clean with birds shot on coarse . I imagine this trial will be about the same. Looking forward to coming up.

That's pretty tough! I would like to see all retrieving trials ran with first bird on course shot.

Brian

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

trueblu wrote:ACooper, I think it goes back to the "there's only so much time" in the day, in the year, so many days of vacation, etc. The greatest percentage of us have jobs, aren't independently wealthy, have to pick and choose what we attend. With Eureka, Booneville, The Quail, Sharptail, Chukar, Region 5, Region 7, Prairie Chicken, all in this area, it's tough. Combine that with weekend trials that most need to qualify their multiple dogs, it's tough to do it all. So, many of us have to decide what means the most. I know winning a walking gun dog championship is going to come low on the totem pole for me. Too far to drive to run one or two dogs, so yes, location plays a part for many. Further, let's face it, a win at Eureka or Booneville, or an All Age win at the Quail or a large region, means more than a walking championship to many, including me. Everyone sets his own benchmark. Everyone decides what is important. I, for one, put family way above dogs, horses, and trials, so I am more limited than many. To me, a gun dog win will always mean less than a shooting dog or all age win, particularly when I look at the overall competition level. Finally, if you only compare the GSPCA National Amateur Championship to the GSPCA Walking Gun Dog Championship, each takes 8-9 days plus, with travel, stake, travel back to most homes, so, if you only have two weeks of vacation, it's hard to do both of those, muchless the other zillion regions, species, etc.
That all makes sense, thank you for taking the time to reply. I still don't agree that Mr Messer went about his post the "right" way, I also understand that he could most likely care less about what I think. :lol:

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I just can't believe you called him Mr. Messer!!!!!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am

Maybe some folks won't be attending because they would have to handle their own dog
themselves and not be able to pay a pro to handle their dog for them? :roll:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 am

:mrgreen:

Too far....

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

ACooper wrote:
trueblu wrote:With Eureka, Booneville, The Quail, Sharptail, Chukar, Region 5, Region 7, Prairie Chicken, all in this area, it's tough. /quote]
Did see you at The quail but I didn't see you at Booneville, Sharptail, Hun, Prairie Chicken, Great Plains?.? You must have went to Region 7 & 5.

doco

Post by doco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:46 pm

So Funny Story,

Too busy at the office to give updates or reply to this thread. Medicare reform...I have not been paid for any services rendered since Dec. 2nd. My account would look reformed if I didn't pay my bills either. Thanks President Osama.

Anyway, I just returned from the Booneville Nationals. Met most of the people on here. I now have a greater appreciation for discrepencies in our game. I have never competed outside of the Northeast and it was an Awakening for me to run dogs there. The experience has completely changed my appreciation for the westerners (non East Coast trialers), and also changed my way of training.

1. Our Northeast dogs are used to tight grounds and tend to stay tighter and check in quite a bit more frequently.
Plains dogs run big and show when they show...sometimes 15 mins later, but they show.

2. Scouts in the big leagues are everything, work harder than the handler
Scouts in the East don't work nearly as hard. Not out of lack ofEffort, but probably out of fear

3. NE dogs don't have too many meadows of 2' high grasses where the edge is 200-300 yards lateral to the breakaway. Therefore, as evidenced by my Shooting Dog, she ran forward on the road to get to the treeline that was forward and not laterally to get to the closest edge. Not the games fault, mine for never being on BIG OPEN Grounds and not knowing what to train for.
JMO and Observations - Those Big running and independent dogs would get swallowed up and lost on the tight grounds of the Northeast that we train and trial on, just a generalized statement.

4. Most of our NE dogs have no idea how to hunt grasslands. Mine included.
JMO most of the plains dogs would not know where to go on our tight courses with more objectives than politicians have lies.

5. Distance is everything. With the availability of so many Championships available to the Central and Mid west region, there is no region to come East.
For those of us in the Northeast, Booneville was 4 days of driving, 3000 miles of travel and most of the Big Trials are no different for us.

6. I had the pleasure of meeting Great People down there and have the Great Pleasure of competing with great people here in the Northeast.
This does include "Mr. Messer" who does have very accomplished dogs to his credit, that I had the pleasure to meet and watch. I'll assume he maybe overspoke as I did when I said to just give him the silk.

7. Until we all compete on all the grounds and see for ourselves...East vs. West...Tight vs. Open...Objectives vs Plains... and the variety of dog being campaigned... it is hard for one to compare, denigrate (50cent word) :lol: or put down an event like this, tight lips over loose lips are probably the better option.

We do live in geographically different terrains and have handicaps that prevent us from coming together and training, trialing, and competing on an even playing field. I'm not saying that big dogs can't run short, and short dogs can't run big.......All I am saying is that after 1 week in Booneville, my eyes have been opened, my training techniques will change and I certainly know what grounds to begin training on to bring my puppies along so they will adapt to the terrain in front of us. Most of us won't travel to the west due to the distance so there won't be representation. Those in the west certainly won't travel to the east because there is no need to.

It is what it is, no need to throw darts, and most impressively, if 26 out of 30 dogs went clean at the Ch last year in IA...pretty impressive group of dogs and handlers. I also find it ironic that there was no complaints when it was out there last year. Change is good and The Nationals should be revolving as well....that's another story!

Everyone in Booneville that I met, and most are on GDF, were absolutely a ball to ride, eat and have conversation with. From the elders, the Pros, their clients and the amateurs, I never felt any less important or treated like an outsider for the whole time there. Thanks to all I met and there were probably only a few that I didn't

Thanks for reading,

Bill Orlando
Last edited by doco on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Aww grasshoppa, you have not been west to big country until you turn right out of my driveway!! :lol: :lol:

If this event was at a different time of year when other trials weren't conflicting and closer to home I'd strap on the boots and enter a dog for sure. I think it'd be a blast and would be crowing like crazy if my hound gotta piece of it. Ain't none of 'em ever easy!!

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Bill,
This is a BIG and beautiful country. You need to get out more. There is still a lot of big and different texture country you have yet to see. You and your dogs need to be exposed to them all. You are young and have time to do it. You may change some of the things you do in training back East. However, there is nothing back East that can be used as a substitute for the open spaces West of the Mississippi. Wait till you get into the abrasive footing country. :D
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:50 am

Bill, I do not think anybody could have said it better. I enjoyed meeting you there and it is too bad we did not have more time to talk. Maybe next time.

doco

Post by doco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 am

Oh Wise One,

Not enough $Cabbage$ to purchase the Rice Paper roll long enough to get me there without being heard.

Kenny,
I've been west to Hunt and Ski, just not to trial. It is a most beautiful country and I have no drive to visit others when we have too much to see here.

Brooks,

You too! Although I came home empty handed, :( I came home ecstatic and learn-ned! :) What a great education! Like most feel, I'm sure, sometimes these threads get a little loose and need to be tightened a bit. It's certainly not my job to do it, but I felt like I had to put in my 2 cents for what it was worth. Probably nothing more than 2 cents. :lol: :lol: Again, Great Game, Great People, Great Dogs are everywhere! We just need to appreciate "What it is".