new guy

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
big_fish

new guy

Post by big_fish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:37 am

hello all I am new to the gundog games. I have a 18 month old choc lab we hunt waterfowl and upland and to be honest he is a better uplander that waterfowler. I would like to get into some type of field trials but not sure what way to go it seems there are a few different types of trials. We were watching pattern masters bdc and that looked like a blast but I have also heard of the nstra and I believe it was nufts I would like to participate in a flushing trial so any direction you could point me in would be great thanks in advance.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

Fran Seagren

Re: new guy

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 pm

UKC has an upland test for retrievers. NAHRA includes upland in their tests. AKC field trials and AKC hunt tests don't include upland in their programs.

My husband and I have two labs (and two red setters and one brittany pup). We hunt upland with all five of our dogs. They are all equally good in different situations (well the puppy is still learning). The flushers(labs) are best rousting up the roosters from dense cover like bulrush/cattails sloughs and the red guys do best with large areas of medium cover. In the northwest woods hunting ruffed grouse, both the flushers and the setters need to hunt close.

My chocolate lab, Sarge, is an awesome upland hunter. So, have fun!