Nebraska Field Trials

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Rusti's Mom

Nebraska Field Trials

Post by Rusti's Mom » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Is anyone going to be at the Field Trials this weekend?

I can't go, but will have two pups there.

Pat

sdgord

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:06 am

Hi Pat,
I can't believe I missed seeing that walking trial at Raymond, its about a five hour drive south of us. So it makes it one of the few in our area. When I checked the schedule I see there is a horseback trial next week end there also. The trial and hunt test grounds are really nice at Raymond. Good luck to your pups.SDGORD

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:44 am

We tried to get in to the horseback trial, it filled up too quickly!

I really like those Branched Oak grounds too!

Phil

Rusti's Mom

Nebraska Field Trials

Post by Rusti's Mom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:28 pm

I so wanted to be there as my trainer is evaluating my little male to see if he has "it" for field trialing, but I have to keep his mom quiet as we wait for Monday morning to see if her AI took.

His sister, Staci, will be running in Open for the first time. They are 13 months old and she is heck on wheels.

This is our newest "game" and we really wanted to be there. I think hubby will go to the next one as Staci is his girl.

Pat

sdgord

field trials

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Pat, yeah the horseback trials seem to fill realy quick when the pros start enter 20 dogs apiece. I certainly wouldn't want to walk more than three or four braces a day let alone ten or more. I have only entered one walking field trial and enjoyed it a lot. We do a lot of hunt tests also. My older Gordon has logged a bunch of miles traveling with her handler. She is home for a while to mature and this Feb goes back to Texas to train. Be careful as this is one of those sneaky addictive games. SDGORD

Rusti's Mom

Field trials

Post by Rusti's Mom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:39 pm

It is very addictive, but, we have been on the edges of it for several years and have made the choice to have a pro run the pups. It is cheaper to pay him for the training and campaigning the dogs than it would be if we got the horses and all the stuff to do it ourselves. Besides, we don't have the time and I would prefer not to have to get on a horse at my age. He has the horses and my husband rides the braces, but I like to collect the ribbons.

Larry flies a lot, so we have the frequent flyer miles, and when we go up to WI. for the training sessions, we stay at the Club, and just have to rent a car. I am very happy in my role as "Rusti's Mom" and "Grandma" to her pups.

It is so much fun and something we can do together in our "senior years".

Pat

sdgord

trials

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:00 pm

Who handles your dog for you. I agree on the not wanting to get into that whole horse thing. Trailers, one ton pickups saddles and vet bills for horses. SDGORD

Rusti's Mom

Field Trials

Post by Rusti's Mom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:20 pm

Dennis Brath of Caden's Kennels. He trained Rusti, the momma dog, and the pups all love him. He really knows his stuff and how to handle soft dogs. He has been wonderful and hopefully Rusti is preggers with Cecil's pups. We will find out Monday morning.

We have more friends in WI. than we do here at home. Great people.

Pat

sdgord

trials

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:27 pm

Hi Pat I have seen his name around although I do not remember ever meeting him. Our dog runs with Greg Dixon of Wisconsin. He also is a good hand with softer tempered dogs. Most of the folks you meet at the field trials and hunt test are really decent. Although I must say I have met a couple that I won't miss seeing again. Again good luck to your pups.SDGORD

larue

Post by larue » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:59 am

rustis mom,,Correct me If I am wrong,,but I thought cecil was no
longer able to produce pups....Maybe a cecil son bred to your bitch,,
such as ruger?
sdgorg,,From the trials I have seen greg at,he works hard,,the dogs come first,,and his dogs are broke,,and he runs gundogs...
A good choice in a trainer...
There is another trial in nebraksa on the18th...if it follows the past,,it should be a very large trial,,,I am considering cutting my hunting trip
shorter to run it...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:52 am

I work dogs for Ron Wilson, and Ron uses Greg for his dogs that run horse-back and talks highly of him. Ron`s Wire won the Nat`l under Greg I believe. Ihave 2 youngsters here now that were sired by that dog, real nice young guys.
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:18 am

Larue-
I believe Cecil has some frozen semen available yet...although I could also be wrong...how's it going with you and everyone there?

larue

Post by larue » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:36 am

patty,,,I did not think of the frozen semon route,,I bet they do not give that away...
all is well here,,,I am getting the dogs ready for the fall hunting/trialing runs..,,Blaze has become as broke as his dad,,,,
so I am looking foward to this falls trials...All trials were cancelled at pine island so we lost out on three trials,,,
iI am planning on running the nationals,,,max is a little short for
the nationals,,but we will try it any ways,,,,I am not sure if blaze is qualified,,with several thirds,and one 2nd in a 4 point trial..I think he needs a win...any one who knows for sure,,let me know..
I picked up our new pup,from foxgloves kennel in oregon,,,she is a nice hard pointing little bitch,,,out of karen's all age bitch bred to dunfur's joe obviuos..a big shooting dog...I had a good laugh at her this morning,,,sound asleep and her tail was at twelve oclock,,,
I wonder what she was dreaming about?
I will post a pic of her,,,I have her on my website,under news...
I see chase pups are getting big,,,I would enjoy seeing them
someday....

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:04 am

Cassie's pups are getting big...they just started opening their eyes and you're more than welcome to stop over and see them. Things haven't changed with her and her litters, however! :) I've got 1 male left, otherwise the rest are spoken for already. Let me know what works good for you to stop out and WELCOME to the board!

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:06 am

LaRue,

Cecil died this year, but the frozen semen is alive and well in CA. Three years ago, we were going to breed him to Rusti and when he was tested, he was sterile. We had a litter out of CJ last year. It was an incredible litter and he has two of those pups running right now. This time, we used the frozen and it was done surgically. She is 26 days along and on the 13th we will do another ultrasound to see how many pups there are. This is the first time they have used the frozen semen and so everyone is on pins and needles to see this litter.

After this past weekend, Staci will remain in Field Trialing and Duke will be doing AKC Hunt Tests and hopefully go on to getting his NAVHDA Utility Title. He is just not as fast as his sister, but is a fabulous gun dog.

Pat

sdgord

trials

Post by sdgord » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:39 pm

Larue, I like the way Dixon tells you what is going on and how the dog is coming along. No stringing you along for just the boarding fees. I have seen a lot of dogs on Gregs string that would be top dog on a lot of strings and are only 6th or 7th on Gregs. He and his wife breed some really nice wirehairs also.SDGORD