NAHVDA training day

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
luvthemud

NAHVDA training day

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:20 am

There is a NAVHDA training day at the local NAVHDA training grounds. I have been reading here, and other places that the best thing for a new dog owner and potential NAVHDA member to do is to go and "check it out".

I would love to go, but am sort of nervous about just pulling in the parking lot. I don't know anyone and don't really know what I should be "checking out"? Definetly plan on joining and at least running my dog through a NA test, but don't have the slightest clue where to start.

Any tips or encouragement you guys can offer?
Anybody here a member of the Kettle Moraine (Wisconsin) chapter of NAVHDA?

peashooter

Re: NAHVDA training day

Post by peashooter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:55 am

I looked up my local chapter's web site and drop an email to the contact listed saying I wanted to check out a training day. I was welcomed with open arms and had a great time chatting with the members. I am volunteering to help out with the NA/UT tests this weekend. I can't speak for every chapter, but if you local is anything like the Carolina's Chapter, you could just as easily drop by un-announced, I'm sure.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 am

First off, unless they're a bunch of real buttheads, they will welcome you to attend. Second off, if it makes you uncomfortable to just show up - call someone on the board of the group (usually there will be a phone number listed somewhere - or email) and give them the heads up that you're a newbie and you want to come out to the training day.

For me personally, I believe you get out of something what you are willing to put into it. I pitch in and help handle birds, hold dogs, fetch water, etc. I don't like to sit on my hands just watching. However, some folks are more reticent to just jump in - it takes all kinds! I have found dog people to be the most welcoming of all. I've never had a really bad experience with dog folks, not my first NAVHDA training, nor my first hunt test, horseback trial, PF chapter meeting.....etc.

I came to my first NAVHDA training day when I was visiting my sister in NM - convinced her and her son and their two pups to come out with me - no real notice given to the club. We had a great day. Watched and learned a lot - enjoyed visiting with the folks that were training their pups - and if I'd been closer, I would have joined and been back to the training days for sure.

migratesouth

Post by migratesouth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:26 am

I've had nothing but good experiences with NAVHDA so far. My pup isn't here yet, but that hasn't stopped my local chapter from including me and trying to prepare me. I've even had the pleasure of taking to the NAVHDA HQ folks and they've been great too.

Try contacting one of the folks listed on this page:
http://www.kmnavhda.com/board.html

Good luck!
Ripsnorter's Indiana Jones :: http://imgur.com/a/fzQAO

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:21 pm

OK, good to hear that they are a welcoming bunch. Sometimes I have found that hobby clubs can be a bit hard for new members to feel welcome.

Turns out that the breeder I got my dog from is actually on the board. I knew he was involved but didn't realize he was a board member. Unfortunately he isn't attending, but I did send an email to the contact listed on the calendar.