NSTRA Tips

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
12 Volt Man

NSTRA Tips

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:16 pm

I know that several people on this forum have competed in NSTRA trial. I am getting set to run Cooper in his first trial next weekend on the 18th and 19th.
I am wondering if some could share any tips or suggestions that you feel would help a new guy. For example, when you work the field, do you go far away from your bracemate? Do you work some obedience right before? Ect….. Since none of you are in my region, you can share your deepest secrets. ;)

I have gone over the NSTRA rules a couple of times.

My pup will point and retrieve to hand. I don’t know yet whether or not he will back. I’ll use this first trial as a means to see where I can concentrate my training. I have just one goal…… Not to take last :) But I bet we do better than that ;)

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:29 pm

The biggest thing for me to remind myself of during the trial is my pace. I usually hunt at a leisurely stroll so have to make myself get going as there is competition for those birds! Just don't let that push you and your dog past the birds planted at the gate! If you are not sure about the back, I'd sort of avoid your bracemate. Unless you think Coop is going to really mess with the other dog, I wouldn't worry too much about them working an area. Remember no penalty for your shooting skills so keep banging till it falls and good luck :lol:
Colin

larue

Post by larue » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:27 pm

12 volt,,your dog will determine your stragity,,a competitive dog who always wants to out run his bracemate shoudl be run with the other handler,,,so your dog gets to the birds first..a slower dog is better off alone...get your back and then break away,,,you are only scored on one back,,,,,remember to wait until the other handler gets ahold of his dog before you flush your bird,if the other dog is backing....
many handlers wil count birds killed in previuos braces,,,and look for patterns in birds found...and try to handle there dogs into areas where they think birds should be,,,
nstra is about handling,,,and dogs....do not forget to look and listen for birds on the ground....
have fun....it can be a exciteing sport