Proper choke in shotgun for field trial.

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
12 Volt Man

Proper choke in shotgun for field trial.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:41 am

What choke do you like to use in your shotgun for quail on a field trial?

I have a 12 guage Benelli Nova Pump Gun.

I am going to use 7 1/2 shot.

In the gun now is the improved cylinder choke.

I am wondering if I should use the modified choke?

I don't want to be the weak link at the trial. If the dog does right and I miss the bird, that will not be good.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:00 am

Over a pointing dog, I use 7 1/2 in a skeet choke 12 ga. I know guys that use spreader chokes or shoot spreader loads out of skeet chokes. These are pen raised quail that should be coming up close to you. Missing because of too tight a pattern is more likely than not having enough reach. Bringing teh bird down while still close makes the retrieve easier too. My dog doesn't like to retrieve shot up birds and some dogs will eat them if too much meat is exposed by the shot. Took my fixed mod H&R once and Scout had to retrieve a wing and head from a close bird that was heading for the trees so I couldn't let it get further out. NSTRA doesn't fault you any for extra shots to bring the bird down so keep shooting till it falls if that is the venue. I don't know of any venue that checks for shot in the bird so if the dog retrieves the bird, you must have at least grazed it.

Shooting over flushing dogs is much different and choke would have to reflect your dog's range. I know someone who uses turkey loads for Chukars over flushing dogs because he wants them anchored. #6 for these is probably reasonable although I use 7 1/2 for almost everything over my setter, maybe a larger back up for pheasants in case I miss the first time.
Colin

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:37 pm

On pen quail, I think 7-1/2's are overkill. Using a modified or tighter choke would definitely handicap you.

I use 20 ga or 28 ga skeet loads and skeet chokes when I gun at hunt tests. I don't like to tear the birds up. I haven't failed to bring one down yet.

In your gun, I'd shoot 1 oz of 9 skeet load through a skeet choke. If you don't have a skeet choke, use the IC.

Regards,