NSTRA field size ??

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
oldbeek

NSTRA field size ??

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Hope this is the right topic area to ask. How many acres are your NSTRA fields in your region? Are they fenced ? OR? Are they just markers on the out of bounds where you have to direct your dog to stay in the field. The reason i ask is last week,i went to a trial in AZ. Their fields are huge compared to So. Cal. AZ fields were 2100 ft long and 1500 ft wide. 60+ acres and at 8000ft elevation. Quite a challenge to find 5 birds on 60 acres. Our so cal fields may be 40 acres. Am going to measure them next time out. i have been told some fields in the east are smaller with hog fencing around.
Last edited by oldbeek on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg jacobs

Re: NSTRA field size ??

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Seems like someone said 40 acres for the norm 30 min. Increased to 60 or more for the 60 minute. And a lot of the time 4 corner poles with flags. Never have seen fences. Only been to a few so I'm sure no expert. On the 60 acre that I saw there was two extra poles farther out on one of the fields.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:21 am

Grounds in our region vary. Some fields are bordered on 1 or two sides by fencing, either barbed wire or hog wire. Some fields have no fencing. Boundaries are always marked with mowed strips with bird work done on the mowed strip being in bounds. Fields vary from 25 - 40 acres with somewhere around 30 +/- being common and desired for our cover/terrain.

Nick

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:18 pm

oldbeek wrote:Hope this is the right topic area to ask. How many acres are your NSTRA fields in your region? Are they fenced ? OR? Are they just markers on the out of bounds where you have to direct your dog to stay in the field. The reason i ask is last week,i went to a trial in AZ. Their fields are huge compared to So. Cal. AZ fields were 2100 ft long and 1500 ft wide. 60+ acres and at 8000ft elevation. Quite a challenge to find 5 birds on 60 acres. Our so cal fields may be 40 acres. Am going to measure them next time out. i have been told some fields in the east are smaller with hog fencing around.
Our fields in the Mid-North Region run around 35-40 acres and mainly marked with flagged stakes. I was at an AZ trial in February by Sonoita on what they call the Airstrip? A Field was not bad, I'm guessing around 40 acres. But B Field was HUGE! I'd say close to 80 acres. I could not cover the field once in 30 minutes. For the life of me I don't know why they don't move the boundaries in to make it more manageable. I'm assuming the trial you were at was in the Flagstaff area. I have seen those fields.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Depending on cover fields are supposed to be 30 to 50 acres with well defined boundaries. Back east most have fences or a mowed strip
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Depending on cover fields are supposed to be 30 to 50 acres with well defined boundaries. Back east most have fences or a mowed strip
I am not complaining about the Arizona field size. In fact i truly enjoyed the bigger field. I also enjoyed the bird planting in every quadrant of those large fields. Those fields separate big running dogs from under foot dogs. Wish you were closer.