Dixie Plantation's Continental Club trials

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
gunner

Dixie Plantation's Continental Club trials

Post by gunner » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm

100 dogs drawn for the Championship http://fieldtrialpointers.net/07continaadrw.html
36 dogs drawn for the companion Derby Championship
http://fieldtrialpointers.net/07continderdrw.html

Officials of the century old Continental Field Trial Club held the drawing for this weeks start of it's open All-age and derby stakes.
Dixie Plantation's Continental Field Trial is considered to be one of the three jewels in traditional bird dog field trial competition's Triple Crown. The others being the National Free-For-All, and next month's National Bird Dog Championship at the Ames Plantation, Grand Junction, Tennessee.
The history of the historic Dixie Plantation, it's owners, famed kennels, stables and World Champion TN Walking Horse Midnight Sun can be found at the Dixie website...
http://hometown.aol.com/dixiedoins/dixie.html
The Continental All-Age Championship has a one hour qualifying stake with an hour and 50 minute final.
The AA Champion will receive $12,000.00, an oil painting, and trophy silver bowl.
The winning derby receives $5,000.00 and a silver bowl.
A number of the contenders, open circuit all-age dogs, some having won on the wide-open western prairies are expected to handle the much more restricted piney woods typical of the southeast plantation country quail lands.
Large wild bird scores are normally expected.
Not your average walk in the park kind of trial as warmer weather may bring out rattlers, cottonmouths and gators on this 18 thousand acre plantation.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:37 pm

May be interesting to see how the 8 setters fare. One of them, Tommy B was qualified and ran at the National Championship at the Ames Plantation.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:08 pm

Richie's actually got 4 setters qualified for Ames this year - Tommy B, Murray's Rustler, Bobby Hugh B, and I Feel Free. The first three are entered in the Continental and it sounded like he was pleased with how they all just did in the Florida. He's got a young pointer Spectre Pete qualified for the Nat'l also. Sure be neat if one of 'em finds their way to the winners circle.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:25 pm

That would be neat to see an Idaho boy win.
But Doug, Stitch has beaten all those dogs right?
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Oooh no! Once, and only once, Stitch managed to get the nod over Murray's Rustler but that was back when Rusty used to run mostly shooting dog stakes. Those other dogs have always been in the AA game I think. I tagged along a couple times when Richie had Tommy B out training - can't even remember which of my crew I had down but whoever it was looked pretty puny when Tommy would be standing on point with about a 3ft. long tail waving in the breeze. Pretty cool.

It is so good for us in Idaho to have Richie and his dogs compete here. It gives us a little bit of a measuring stick to see how our dogs are doing and if they even belong on the same field as the dogs that can compete all over the country. Not too mention they are just great folks too - Richard Sr. is an absolute wealth of knowledge and just such an advocate of "they gotta be bird dogs first".

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Yea I spent a day riding with Sr at one of the trials at their place. We would go and pick up and drop off dogs. I was like a kid in a candy store talking to him.
I was very impressed with his knowledge.
Gary
I've heard a couple people say that Rusty is a better chukar dog than Tommy. ??????

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:30 am

The morning and afternoon courses for the Continental Field Trial Club's championship stakes at the Dixie Plantation.

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:39 am

CONTINENTAL DERBY CHAMPIONSHIP
Strut, owned and handled by Tommy Davis won;
runner-up was Sharp Shooter owned by Ruthann Epp Littell and
handled by Roy Epp.

Dottie Taylor

The 100 dog AA Championship has started

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:35 pm

wow I wish i could watch a trial like that. do they tape these? when I get some horses I will be there. that would be awesome to see those dogs run like that.wow thanks for posting.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:59 pm

The National Ch. is taped. You can find an ad for the tape in the field.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:51 am

CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Winner: Flatwood Silver owned by Dr. Crouch, handled by Robin Gates
Runner-up: Funseeker's Rebel, owned by Frank and Mercy Forseca, handled
by Fred Deleo;
Top Qualifier: Sand Hill Dix, owned by Dr. Randy Peel, handled by Jason
Williams.

Dottie Taylor
126/07

National Derby Champion--Strut owned and handle by Tommy Davis

National Derby Runner-Up-- Hats Off handled by Steve Hurdle owned by Robert W. Moore and Suzanne Moore, Catherine, AL.

Karen Hurdle
1/25/07