Report on my first Field Trial

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
12 Volt Man

Report on my first Field Trial

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:47 pm

Cooper and I ran our first NSTRA trial last weekend.

Cooper gave me some flashes of greatness. Overall I was happy. I learned a lot. The weather was terrible. The first day the wind blew 40 to 50 miles and hour the whole time. His first run we found one bird. He scored well for ground coverage and obedience. Next run we went birdless. I didn't feel too bad because quite a few dogs that were supposed to be good didn't find any either. With it being as windy as it was the scenting conditions were tough.

Friday night it started to rain, our tent filled with water, at 3am we had to get up and sit in the truck till 7am when the trial got going. It kept raining hard all morning. First run we went birdless again. But Cooper scored a fantastic back from over 75 yards away. I have never been so wet in my life. After that we had a few hours till we had to run again, so we headed back to town 30 miles for some warm, dry clothes. Thank goodness WalMart is taking over the world and there was one there. We got back just in time for his last run. The rain had slowed and the conditions were a little better. He found birds this time. The first one he pointed from about 20 feet away. I flushed it and missed the shot. He is still allowed to retrieve it so I sent him out to see if he could pick it up. I was supposed to stay put and not move. While he was looking for the other bird he bumped another one and when that happened he stopped steady to wing. I usually release him with a touch on his head. I walked out to release him and blew the chance for my retrieve. Doh! Then we had to wait 3 minutes before we could go after the bird he bumped. He pointed that one from a good ways off too. I flushed it and this time made sure to hit it when I shot. He retrieved it to hand.

I learned a lot. The main thing is that I need to train in adverse conditions. I also need to make sure and hit those birds. I felt bad that the dog did his job and I was the one who screwed it up. I also learned a lot about strategies for covering the field by trying to cut the other hunter off and leaving him with only one corner of the field to hunt.

When Cooper did go on point it was staunch. He never moved or tried to creep. I looked through all the scores when it was done and Cooper had scored the highest points for a retrieve of any dog throught the whole competition. That made me feel good. He was also the youngest dog in the trial. He'll figure it out. There is another one next month. I don't know that I'll make it because it is on a Friday and Saturday and I have to work that Friday.

Another thing that was interesting. The other trials I have seen usually had Shorthairs and Pointers dominating the top places. This time there were more Britney's placing. Maybe they do better in the wind.

I did accomplish my main goal. Which was not to take last. Now I have a few things to train for and I think we can be competetive at the next one.

That is pretty much the whole story. Even with the wind and rain it was still a great time.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:58 pm

Something I forgot.

The judges were on horseback. Cooper hadn't been around horses and was real interested in hanging out with them. He kept running back to see what was going on. Two of the judges stayed right on top of me. Within about 5 feet the whole time. That bugged me. I had to step around the horses a couple of times to see what the dog was doing. I asked them to stay back a little, but I they didn't listen. The other runs the judges stayed back a little and this was much better for Cooper and me.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:43 pm

Glad that you enjoyed it despite the weather and learned some things to help next time. Some days seem to favor breeds, blood lines, or styles of hunting and not always clear why. With high wind or rain, sometimes slow with head down helps but some of the GSPs should hav capitalized on that so who knows. We have our first trial this weekend and I can't wait! Weather is supposed to cooperate and some very good dogs running. With some luck, we won't be too embarrassed and we will for sure have fun!
Colin

TAK

Volt man

Post by TAK » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:33 am

What no mention about the judge that nearly froze to death. :shock:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:40 pm

Oh yeah, there was one judge who had to be removed from his horse with the jaws of life because he was frozen to the saddle.
:D

TAK was one of the judges who kept his distance and didn't ride on top of the hunter.

Anyway...................... It is great to have TAK here new on this forum. He has some fantastic shorthairs. We can all learn a lot from TAK.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:05 pm

Great job on the trial! The best part about running in them is being able to see your dog up against others. It really puts into perspective how your dog is doing, what he excels at and where he needs some work.

That frozen judge wasn't you, was it TAK? :D

TAK

It was!

Post by TAK » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:39 am

Ya I was the Frozen judge. Boy(gal) let me tell you I have hunted in some odd places over the years with weather that you could not think of but I have to say that was the coldest I have ever been.
It did not help that I thought the trial was going to be called and I was out loading my horses when a not so kind gentelman came to me and said they are waiting for you. Wet as could be I mountd up and judged the first 5 braces without rain gear! Thats my fault! Then a slight wind at ground level came up. It felt like I was in the eye of Hurrican Hugo on the horse. All and all the day got a little warmer and not sure I bet my scores got a little better! The one tooth stopped chatering and the dogs stopped bouncing up and down!
To all old 12 volt man is a heck of a guy and his dog Cooper he is a nice pointer! Sure aint" no Shorthair but not every dog is perfect! :lol:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:33 am

hahahahaa :D