AKC walking trials and puppy stakes

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
chaynes

AKC walking trials and puppy stakes

Post by chaynes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:58 am

Can anyone help explain how puppy stakes relate to completing an FT. I have a puppy that will be six months on April 22 2019. I am located in Virginia and I am trying to figure out what the best options are for getting this pup started. Should I do walking puppy stakes or try a JH. I have tried reading at https://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTPNT.pdf But I am not finding the information to be as clear as i had hoped.

Flashorthair

Re: AKC walking trials and puppy stakes

Post by Flashorthair » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Do them both and see which one you like. Walking puppy stakes will just be the dog running and hunting. Most of the time if they encounter birds it's because the birds might be hold overs. The dogs are judges on how they hunt, cover the ground and respond to you. No birds are generally released. A hunt test (junior) the dog will be in a hunting situation. They must point a bird to qualify. Both events will last about 15 to 20 minutes. Have fun and do them both.....

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Why not go check some out and see for yourself? It will give you an idea of what to expect, and maybe give you time to work with your pup. You might be able to rent or borrow a horse to follow along, or you can walk.

https://webapps.akc.org/event-search/#/results

Keep in mind that your pup is really young, and if you enter a stake, he'll be competing with dogs up to 15 months old, which is a big difference in dog years. Not to say that some pups don't breathe fire and tear thingsup at an early age.

Some clubs put birds out for puppies, some don't. Some require shooting (.22 blank) over puppies if they have game contact, some don't. All require pups to handle reasonably, show some independence, and hunt. Bird contact and pointing are not required, and even though you're not supposed to get "extra credit" for that, it doesn't hurt.

Junior hunters basically have to handle reasonably, find and point birds, and hunt intelligently.

In trials, dogs are judged against each other and in tests, they are judged against a standard. So at a trial, you and your dog might have your best day ever, but get knocked out of contention because other dogs and handlers had a better day. At tests, you do the work adequately, and get a passing score, doesn't matter what anyone else does.

You asked how puppy stakes relate to completing FT. Do you mean what's required in competition, or what does a puupy stake mean as far as attaining a FC ( Field Champion)?

You need 10 points total to get the tile FC, and points are decided by how many dogs are competing in a stake. You can use only 2 points from puppy stakes toward the title, another 2 from derby, and the rest from adult stakes including a stake called a major, which is 3 or more points.

Confusing, I know :wink: And the AKC site doesn't make it any easier, does it? That's why you should visit some events and talk to people there.

Good luck and have fun.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm

chaynes -

I did a quick checkof trials and test in VA and found about a half dozen or so events in the next couple of months that you might want to attend.

Some were at "bleep" Cross which is pretty far south but there were trials or tests in Summerduck, Caret and Dilwyn, VA that had amateur puppy stakes, which are always walking or Junior Hunter test(all HT's are walking).

I also encourage you to go to a field trial and a hunt test and watch. if you are adventurous and your pup is registered, I also encourage you to enter something, especially in a walking puppy trial It is HUGE fun and puppies are not expected to do anything or be anything except puppies.

I would suggest that you inform the judges(and the other handler) that this is your first time to do this and that you basically have no clue what to expect from your puppy. Most judges and participants will do their best to assure you and your dog have as much fun as possible.

If you are feeling truly adventurous and your pup has been introduced to horses, you might try to borrow or rent a horse and handle your youngster in an open puppy, which can be done from horseback. It is an absolute hoot, but if you are worried about making a fool of yourself...don't do it...because you probably will. That IS part of the fun.

Puppies can make even the most experienced handler look pretty silly. Puppies do that and it is very much part of the fun.

RayG

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:26 pm

If you are going to run your pup get it used to being around horses---even if it is a walking stake or hunt test, the judges will be riding horses and you don't want your pup to spend his whole amount of time on the ground barking at or being scared of the horses-- instead of running and hunting like he is supposed to :cry: Also get him used to ATVs because sometimes the judges in hunt tests will be judging off of them. Get him used to being around other dogs because he will be braced with one if he is running in a test or trial. Main thing is to have fun with your pup :D Good luck.

chaynes

Post by chaynes » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 pm

river.jpg
Thanks, everyone. I think I will try to go to some trials in Dilwyn sometime soon. I am also looking into some NAVHDA events and UFTA. So far the pup is doing well and seems interested in birds. I just need to run him and get him to be a little more independent but I am thinking this will come with age.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Be careful that you don't put him in situations where he will catch pen-reared birds. If he gets into that habit, it will be heck to break him of it. I enter into puppy or derby stakes if they are wild bird only or "no pen-reared birds released." Just a caution to be very concerned about pup catching birds and then not wanting to point (or always thinking he can jump in and catch them).

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Just thought of this. There is a US Complete walking trial being held in King William, VA. Here is the info on it.

Category USCSDA Trials
Location King William, VA
Date Mar 02, 2019
Time 7:00 AM

Kirk Regensburg—(804) 543-3470, 8178 Holly Ln., Mechanicsville, VA 23111

Now this is NOT an AKC trial, but rather an AF sanctioned trial. You will see mostly pointers and setters and perhaps a GSP or 2. These dogs will cover some ground. However, if you want to see what a walking trial is all about.... I strongly suggest you go and watch and not enter your youngster. I think you will learn more by watching others do their thing. The US Complete folks are good folks and very welcoming.

I have been to the Cohoke preserve myself(some years ago) and it was a VERY nice place to run dogs. They might even have a gallery wagon there to cart folks around.

Keep in mind that the performance standards are somewhat different for AKC gundog and AF shooting dog. The dogs in AF stakes typically run bigger, bolder, harder and more independently than those in similar AKC stakes, so you need to be aware of that. If there are puppy and derby stakes, it might seem that the dogs are on the verge of being out of control. (That's because sometimes they really ARE) :lol: :lol:

BTW, that is a very nice looking grey ghost in that picture. Very well put together.

RayG