What is the difference between AKC and UKC?

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
dhondtm

What is the difference between AKC and UKC?

Post by dhondtm » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:47 pm

I know I have Cassi registered with the AKC and I have read through the AKC pointing breed hunt test rules. What I didn't even know existed until recently is the HRC Hunter Retriever Club which apparently has merged with the UKC United Kennel Club. I provided links with in the names in case you wanted them.

I am assuming you can register with both the AKC and the UKC. I think they both offer pointing and retrieving hunt test. Can anyone help me better understand the differences between these two clubs. Would it be reasonable to register with both and attempt to get titles with both clubs?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:02 pm

Check out the list of events here: http://www.ukcdogs.com/pt/index.shtml .

When I looked into this, there just weren't enough events to consider it.

Best,

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:06 pm

Yeah judging by the forums I am seeing a trend that UKC tends to have more retriever hunt tests and AKC tends to have more pointing hunt tests. I could be wrong though.

I was researching my dogs background and discovered a dog in her 4th generation had been the first Weimaraner in the United States to earn the "Hunting Retriever" title in the HRC/UKC. Which is why I was looking into it.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:16 am

IT cant hurt to join another Kennel club thats for sure.

One of the Weims I trained has UKC, CKC and AKC titles. THe owner goes to everything she can to get different titles on her dog! He has more "bleep" initials before and after his name, I couldnt't tell you what half of them are! lol

If I am not mistaken, I think the UKC is the prganization that the puppy mills use alot. I think their standards are alot less and its easier to get papers. I could be wrong though.

All of my dogs are dual registered in AKC and FDSB. Some are also registered in the DK and FCI registries.

Phil
REO