NSTRA Handling Advice

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

NSTRA Handling Advice

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:27 pm

All,
I normally run AKC hunt tests. I'm helping a friend here put on a NSTRA trial March 19, so I figured I would enter.

At the two trials I've been to, I've figured out that I have a lot to learn about managing the field, playing the wind, etc.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post or to chat off-forum about their game plans.

Best regards,

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:11 pm

1)First keep the dog in the field! 2) If the dog is in the field let it hunt and not try to micro manage 3) find more birds than your brace mate 4) If your dog likes to be to the front and runs harder than the other dog try to keep in front of it 5) Don't take your dog out by missing birds!!! 6) if you happen to find more than one bird in a bush a. don't tell the judge b. try to pick out one bird at a time.
6) listen for the birds calling! 7) cut the field in 5 sections and work the dog into each covering every inch and possible.......

8) Have fun!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Got all that Greg? I`m still trying to remember it, espically the part about not taking your dog out by missing birds! I try to pay attn. to the areas the bird planter plants, and pay attn to where your bracemate moves a bird. I try to go another direction than by bracemate if he has a really good dog, because all you can hope for is splitting the field with him. If he has a good dog and you make the mistake of getting behind him, then you will be backing the whole brace :( ...I do not opt for a back on bracemates first bird, rather wait until I have at least 1 bird, hopefully more. Of course you don`t want more than one back, but if your dog does you have to hold him. Be real familiar with your rulebook. I think it`s a good idea to instruct the judge it`s your first time and if he sees anything your doing wrong to let you know, they tend to be more helpful if they know this. Watch better handlers and try to pick up on anything they may be doing that will help. Have fun!
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi Tom and Brenda:

Thank you both for the advice. I appreciate it very much.

Here is how I have it boiled down in my head...please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The central strategy is to maximize your dog's opportunity to find the most birds.

2. Ground coverage is an important part of that...thus dividing up the field and covering it thoroughly.

3. How do you guys play the wind? Is it a big factor to you? I play it in a big way in hunt tests.

4. If I understand the game, the magic number is more or less 5. Some of that depends on your brace mate and some of it depends on the brace(s) before you.

5. How do you guys hunt edges or "islands" that bird from previous braces might have collected. First, last, in process of working the rest of the field?

Enough for now...

Thank you again!

goddog

Post by goddog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Greg,

It’s like in any trial, all the handling doesn’t mean anything if the dog can’t put it down for you.
The strategy and playing the wind can change many times over with in a brace, I don’t think there is a good/sure answer to your question, the handling will develope with your experience.

However, I would put focus on the preparing of your dog(s),
First, I would make sure the dog is in good shape, IMO, a long winded dog always find less birds and make sure your dog can withstand long, extended flush and withhold walking birds with confidence, as these planned birds don’t always take flight the way we wish. And make sure it backs all breed of dog on first sight not just the ones you work with.
To add to all that, also make sure the dog stop-to-flush, there is not thing worse than a dog that runs down a bumped (marked) bird.

Cheers,

Steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:24 pm

goddog wrote:Greg,

It’s like in any trial, all the handling doesn’t mean anything if the dog can’t put it down for you.
The strategy and playing the wind can change many times over with in a brace, I don’t think there is a good/sure answer to your question, the handling will develope with your experience.

However, I would put focus on the preparing of your dog(s),
First, I would make sure the dog is in good shape, IMO, a long winded dog always find less birds and make sure your dog can withstand long, extended flush and withhold walking birds with confidence, as these planned birds don’t always take flight the way we wish. And make sure it backs all breed of dog on first sight not just the ones you work with.
To add to all that, also make sure the dog stop-to-flush, there is not thing worse than a dog that runs down a bumped (marked) bird.
Hi Steve,

I'm running the V that I'm currently running in AKC SH. He's rock solid till he sees the bird drop and he is also great on STF.

I exercise him 3-4 days a week. He's got a power-hour in him. He's not going to let down on me at 30 minutes.

He does NOT have the nose that my little GSP pup has, but it's pretty good.

All that is already set in stone.

The question is how I hold up my end of the bargain.

Best regards,
Last edited by Greg Jennings on Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:52 pm

work the wind and the cover If the bird planter is doing theri job there should be 5 birds placed around the field so generally break the field in to 5 work around as alot of bird planter seem to have a thing about putting birds near the boundries ..the object is for all the birds to be taken in each brace so that the best piece of work are the ones that win...but scenting conditions poor shooting and poor planting of birds cause a big variance....listen for the birds also and don't get fooled by the one calling from out of bounds...don;t get caught in corners...remember to be safe DOn't run in the field Don;t shoot the judge...and most of all HAve fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:14 am

and don`t let the judge run over you or your dog! :shock: :P

:P
brenda

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:30 am

You are scored on obedience so don't give a command unless the dog will respond. If you dog works methodically, push him for coverage. If he's a big runner, just try to keep up :lol:
Colin

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:44 am

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the heads up! I appreciate it.

That's pretty much what I do in the AKC hunt tests. I leave him alone till he runs some of the P&V out and his hearing gets better ;) .

Thanks again,

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:07 am

LMAO Brenda.......At least people no longer try to run in the field when i judge for some strange reason....
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:15 pm

Seems like good advice so far. In my limited experience, I would add..... Don't end up with TAK as your bracemate :P

goddog

Post by goddog » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:28 pm

Greg,

Generally speaking, this what I would suggest.

1. Don’t over handle, let the dog hunt.
2. Try covering the entire field at least once with the wind in favor and getting to these areas before your brace mate.
3. Ask to ride with the judge, watch a good handler how he work the field and ask question.
4. As for working the edge, as long there is wind, there are always one edge if not 2 that you can work, but I only do that with time to spare.

Steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:53 am

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the pointers!

I always walk a brace before mine in AKC hunt tests, but didn't know that I could ask to ride with judge/marshall in NSTRA.

I can't imagine going into a field blind. I'm just not that spontaneous!

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:54 am

kninebirddog wrote:work the wind and the cover If the bird planter is doing theri job there should be 5 birds placed around the field so generally break the field in to 5 work around as alot of bird planter seem to have a thing about putting birds near the boundries ..the object is for all the birds to be taken in each brace so that the best piece of work are the ones that win...but scenting conditions poor shooting and poor planting of birds cause a big variance....listen for the birds also and don't get fooled by the one calling from out of bounds...don;t get caught in corners...remember to be safe DOn't run in the field Don;t shoot the judge...and most of all HAve fun
Thank you, A------, I appreciate it very much. I'm a left-brainer and they way you explain it "clicks".

Best regards,