NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Tough Competitor or Jerk

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:13 pm

Hey All,

Here are two case studies:

Case 1:
Handler A manages the field superbly. He boxes in Hander B, forces him to hunt ground that he's already hunted, out-speed-walks B to all the "hot spots", cuts B off from marked birds, etc.

Is Handler A just a tough competitor or is he a jerk.

Case 2:
Handler A ran a dog in an earlier brace and went 5/4. In this brace, Handler B has Handler A down 4/4 to 0/0 with 10 minutes left. A bird is walked-up by A. It flies about 10 yards, and A walks to it, flushes it and shoots the bird.

Is Handler A just a tough competitor or is he a jerk?

This isn't a test, I'm interested in the variety of opinions offered.

[Note to all: I've edited this for clarity since TAK and Grant posted their replies]

Best regards,
Last edited by Greg Jennings on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:33 pm

My answer to one is Good Comp person....

The second, """Handler A ran a dog in an earlier brace and went 5/4. In this brace, Handler B has Handler A down 4/4 to 0/0 with 10 minutes left. A bird is flushed by A. It flies about 10 yards, and A walks to it, flushes it and shoots the bird. """ If this is a marked bird, and his dog pointed it he has to take it out. But if he did this by running his dog over a bird just to be able to take it out..... Protecting his lead! I had this done to me!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Bells been cut off, and we cut other dogs off. I see it as part of the game. Nothing personal.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 pm

TAK wrote: """ If this is a marked bird, and his dog pointed it he has to take it out. But if he did this by running his dog over a bird just to be able to take it out.
Hi Tom,

A marked bird is exactly what I meant. I've edited the original post to make that clear.

Best regards,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:16 pm

A-Tough cometeitor B-A jerk.
brenda

goddog

Post by goddog » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:05 pm

1. Good handling by A
2. A walked up bird is a marked bird, if he shoots it, he is DQ, that move does him no good eitherway. But if his dog pointed the marked bird, the bird has to be taken out.

SC

Flying J

Post by Flying J » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:16 am

In one of the first NSTRA trials I ran in I braced up against a friend of mine, one I traveled with to the trial and he had handled my dog for me in the past. Well, during the brace our dogs were working the same area and my friend took my dog off in the other direction away from me.

I have to say that as a beginner it gave me a bad taste in my mouth for the GAME. I know of a few individuals that have had similar experiences and have given up on the sport, "...don't need to deal with people like that."

I have since learned that it can work both ways and I have pushed my dog into areas ahead of the other handler's dog.

If you are a competitor yourself, then handler A is a tough competitior.

If you want to go out and see how your dog works without playing the game, then handler A is a jerk.

To each their own.

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm

:shock: