boots

mask

boots

Post by mask » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:49 pm

We got home from a hunt in 2 states and Canada safe and sound. I bought a new pair of lowa z-8s ght boots. They are really great. I have hunted in my home state for chukar and put them through tough paces and they held up well and I still really like them. I refuse to buy Chinese junk and won't even consider crap from Nam. If you are looking for a new pair of boots you might consider these. Good hunting. Bill

Dakotazeb

Re: boots

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:03 am

Are you referring to the Lowa Z-8S GTX? I looked that one up and it does look like a nice boot. Uninsulated, right?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

mask

Post by mask » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:59 am

Those are the ones and are not insulated. I am not easy on boots and these have kept my feet dry and are fairly light weight. By the end of January I will have a better idea about they hold up.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Lots of quality boot makers to choose from. In my opinion, finding a boot built on a last which fits your foot properly is much more important than who in Italy or Germany made them. Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnee’s, Lowa, Scarpa, La Sportiva, etc. all make a high quality product. But they can all be the best boot you have ever put on, or the worst boot you have ever put on depending on the shape of your foot.

It’s a lot of money to drop if you don’t do your due diligence and try on what works best for you. After multiple stores and purchases, the Crispi Nevada uninsulated works the best for my foot.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Garrison wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm
Lots of quality boot makers to choose from. In my opinion, finding a boot built on a last which fits your foot properly is much more important than who in Italy or Germany made them. Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnee’s, Lowa, Scarpa, La Sportiva, etc. all make a high quality product. But they can all be the best boot you have ever put on, or the worst boot you have ever put on depending on the shape of your foot.

It’s a lot of money to drop if you don’t do your due diligence and try on what works best for you. After multiple stores and purchases, the Crispi Nevada uninsulated works the best for my foot.

Garrison
You are absolutely correct. I had a pair of Kenetrek's and they just didn't fit me right. I have the same issue with Danners. Personally I've found that some of the Irish Setter boots and also Keen hikers fit me best. I have a wide foot so I must have a wide width. I see the Lowa's above don't come in wide. But the one thing we can all agree on is that boots are the most important thing in all your hunting gear.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

mask

Post by mask » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:18 pm

I'v been chukar hunting about nine times this season and the lowa boots are holding up quite well and are very comfortable. I average about 8 miles a hunt with the high being 12 which was not supposed to be that far but my young gyp had a different idea but that is a whole other story. Bottom line is I would recommend these boots.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 pm

if you are looking for bird hunting boots the search can begin and end with Russell Moccasin. Hand made to custom fit on a last designed to be your foot. And in the USA.

Costs about 2x what a decent pair of factory made boots will cost but will last probably 4 times longer (or more) can be rebuilt, resoled and recrafted. Had mine for well over 10 years, and maybe 15 by now and look nearly new.

They are not goretex or other membrane waterproof systems, just well designed double or triple vamp construction that keeps water out.