58%
No
42%

Total votes: 24

grant
GDF Junkie

Video :: Training For Silent Hunting ..No Whistles, No Whoas

Post by grant » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:53 pm

In this video, Janet trains a puppy into a fine hunting companion. Even though I use whistles, e-collar, and whoa, I learned from her video and would recommend buying it. Its 50min and covers lots of training steps that other videos skip.

http://www.masoncreek.com/Videos.html

Pros:
Good video quality
Covers a lot info
Janet hangs out on the GDF!
Trains an untrained puppy

Cons:
If you want to use whistles/e-collar/whoa you'll have to learn from another video.

wire

Post by wire » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:19 pm

I trained my dog using this video. When I trained my first wirehair I made lots of mistakes. I wish I had this video when I trained her. I liked this video because it shows how to train without using whistles and collars and it is so easy to follow. The puppy in the video is only 8 weeks old so I started my puppy at 8 weeks. It took me a little longer but I was out hunting with her when she was 9 months. She came when called . Would point and let me walk around to flush the bird. That's all I wanted in my hunting dog.
She is seven years old now and for me she needed no more training. I only wanted a hunting dog and with this video it helped me turn her into one. I think anybody who wants to train their own hunting dog should watch this video first.

Jim

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:49 pm

I think it would be excellent for anyone training a puppy for hunting, JH or Derby level. I haven't run NAVHDA yet (first test June 4th or 5th, but I think it would cover almost everything for the NA test also.

Best,

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:08 pm

HAven't seen it but it sure sounds like it is along the same path as the SCS silent command system that is taught by delmars smith family....which not knocking at all I think it is a great way to train getting people further faster and no words to mess anything up

much easier to train a dog the word heel or whoa if it is already doing it with out the words

would love to see more people out there doing stuff to help the new kids on the block
I would be very interested in seeing it

$29.95+$5.00 Shipping/Handling
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wire

Post by wire » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:08 am

For the no vote. Why did you not like the video? I would like to know.

Jim

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:09 pm

I doubt very much one would need anything else besides janet's training video for a well bred pup . As you all read janet and I spent some time over this past week end. I was able to watch her thread her dog Volt throught an eye of a needdle with out a single command. The dog just simply cued off of her boddy and went where we needed to go.........It was great to watch the two of them work like the team that they are ,silently..

G.

wire

Post by wire » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:21 am

Here is a link that sells the video. Lion Country Supply.
http://www.lcsupply.com/

JIM

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:12 pm

Removed by Grant

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:38 pm

I thought the video was good, and believe you can learn from it and was worth the money.

As the cover says it's a step by step training guide for the novice trainer. The key words here is novice trainer and I think she does a fine job teaching a novice trainer how to introduce their dog to retrieving, to a bird , a gun and water. There is always more for the dog and the trainer to learn but she starts you both off in the right direction.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:34 am

I borrowed a copy of this video from my Dad and we used it to train our pointing lab. My husband and I were amazed at the results.

As long as we remained consistent with the fundementals outlined on the tape the dog learned in no time at all.

This past hunting season Molly did not break on a single bird.
I would endorse this video to anyone who wants a staunch bird dog.

MJK

Post by MJK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:42 pm

kninebirddog wrote:HAven't seen it but it sure sounds like it is along the same path as the SCS silent command system that is taught by delmars smith family....which not knocking at all I think it is a great way to train getting people further faster and no words to mess anything up

much easier to train a dog the word heel or whoa if it is already doing it with out the words

would love to see more people out there doing stuff to help the new kids on the block
I would be very interested in seeing it
knine, if you haven't seen it you should find a copy and give it a look. Like yourself, I've seen one (Jan's) and not the other so I can't comment on the Smith method. As a friend of Jan's I do know the she personally gave Delmar a copy of her video when it came out way back in 1999. She taught me her method with my pup back in the fall of 1997. I consider her the pioneer of the silent method. My wife and I were at Mason Creek several weeks ago to give Jan a deposit on a pup (this will be my third Mason Creek dog) and we got to see a training session with Jan and one of her customers who had come by with his puppy. The pup was at the stage where he was doing his first point. We watched the pup work just as the one did in the video and the result was the same. A pup holding his point and one happy owner. While I can't recall the gentleman's name, I can remember the ear to ear grin as he led his puppy in from the training field. I can't wait till next spring to get started on my next one. I couldn't agree more with your comment,
kninebirddog wrote: It is a great way to train getting people further faster and no words to mess anything up.
many, many novices could benefit from the method in Jan's video.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Grant I am sending the money order for this video tomorrow let me know when you get it.

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:18 pm

I've watched this video at least 50 times.
Everytime I get stuck and the dog isn't doing exactly as I thought, I go back, watch it and usually see exactly where I messed up.
I'm normally doing something out of sequence, or too early.

My daughter (3 years old) loves to watch it too.
First day we had our pup she comes in the room with the dummy, throws it and say "fetch it up"

She's going to be a great trainer some day.

The video fits my style and I've loved it so far.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:48 pm

"Pioneer of the silent method"

I'm sure the tape is a fine training method. Methodology not too new however...

Chapter VII
"Whoa if properly taught, requires a great deal of pains and labor on the part of the trainer, besides combering the mind of the pupil with a term and its significance having no useful ppurpose of application in pracctical field work. Theoretically, from an extremely superficial point of view, as the dog stands still when he points game, there would seem to be a most useful gain in furthering the act of pointing and backing by teaching him to stop and stand still at the word of command. In practice, teaching the term and enforcing obedience to it retard rather than advance the training of the dog.
Older writers earnestly set forth its importance as an essential tot the dog's proper education, and made much of it accordingly."....
...and more

From the book "Training the Hunting Dog for the Field and Field Trials (1901), by the well known trainer, handler, judge, spike collar inventor; B. Waters 1901 Forest and Stream Publishing company