e-collars and distance...

MTO4Life

e-collars and distance...

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 am

I'm looking into getting my first e-collar, and have been checking the specs on TriTronics Upland G3 and Upland G2. Everything else aside, is the 1 mile range of the G2 that much superior than the 1/2 mile range of the G3? Reason I'm asking is that I hunt eastern Ontario where it can be quite heavy brush. My dog wouldn't be more than a 1/4 mile or so away at the most (of course, that is just a guess). Also, would the 1/2 mile range drop in heavy bush/woods? If so, the 1 mile range might boost it's capability in the bush correct? Just a little guidance would be great. Thanks.

original mngsp

Re: e-collars and distance...

Post by original mngsp » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:23 am

The distance ratings givin are usually optimal terrain and conditions, ie. flat ground no obstructions. My advice is to buy one with a one mile range, I always feel better having too much available range rather than not enough.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 pm

ok... so you have me sold on the 1 mile range (I was pretty sure about that answer). Here's the kicker now. Which TT collar for me? I want it expandable in case I get another dog in a couple of years (which seams likely), but I'm new to the scene. I'll spend the money if necessary, but if I don't have to have the top of the line, which model is good. I'll be learning, but plan on keeping it for some time to come.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 am

Suggest the EXP versions of the Classic 70 or the Pro 100/200 (depending whether your main mode of stimulation is continuous or momentary, respectively). At the very upper end would be a Pro 500 EXP. I have one and I love it, but it does mean more twiddling to switch from momentary, which is my main mode, to continuous.

Greg J.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replys so far, it is helping my process. However, what is everyone's opinion on the beeper addition? I know the G2 Upland has the beeper attached, and you can by the beeper for other collars... is it worth it?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:42 am

If you need a beeper and can stand using one, it's probably worth it. Else, not.

If you have the $, you might look into the new Garmin Astro...the one with the new, much smaller collar unit. It's way better than a bepper, but more $.

Greg J.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed May 11, 2011 3:14 pm

MTo4life,
As the other men have advised get the 1 mile or more Dogtra T&B or DT H20 T&B collar to locate and train with.
RGD/Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:MTo4life,
As the other men have advised get the 1 mile or more Dogtra T&B or DT H20 T&B collar to locate and train with.
RGD/Dave

Bet you posted before you read. This topic was closed 3 years ago and I think he has bought a TT and loves it. I traded my TT for a DT several years ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Wow post from 2008 I thought these were archived to read only
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 am

original mngsp wrote:The distance ratings givin are usually optimal terrain and conditions, ie. flat ground no obstructions. My advice is to buy one with a one mile range, I always feel better having too much available range rather than not enough.
My thoughts exactly. My theory has always been, I'd rather have it and not use it, than to desperately need it and not have it.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"