Ruffwear Dog Boots

PrairieGoat

Ruffwear Dog Boots

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Ruffwear Dog Boots? I know they are a bit on the pricey side, but am more interested in fuctionality than price. My dogs are on carpet or grass a large part of the time as I am a working city dweller, so some additonal protection in cactus and rocks would be good (although my dogs generally know to pick their way around the cactus). The main point I am interested in...do these boots stay on well? I have some of Ruffwear's other products and they seem to be really well made, so I was wondering about these.

Thanks!
Randy

Scott Linden

Re: Ruffwear Dog Boots

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Hello from RuffWear's home town ... my experience is not with their boots, but a number of boots by other makers. Advice: don't waste your money. I'll bet by the end of the weekend, you'll hear from more experienced hunters than I all with the same message: they will fall off, or wear out in a few hours (even the so-called Cordura doesn't last on lava) so buy extras from the get-go.

I've had better luck investing in a roll of duct tape. Experiment at home - a lot - before you "install" on your dog in the field, and be VERY careful not to wrap too tight. Some suggest baby socks or VetWrap under the tape for easier removal, but my experience is most will fall off after a couple hours and at a couple cents per foot, you won't be griping when they do.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:43 pm

One method that's worked for me to keep the boots on regardless of which brand is as follows.

Prior to putting the boot on use vetrap around the ankle down to the pads or very top portion of the foot. Enough so that when you slide the boot on it will cover some of the vetrap. As the previous poster mentioned MAKE SURE if your using Vetrap to apply it LIGHTLY as it will constrict once it is on (like shrink wrap) and will cause too much constriction if wrapped to tight.

Then apply some athletic tape (one wrap) around the vetrap (enough so the boot will cover it as well) with the STICKY SIDE OUT and secure it to itself and vet wrap. Put the boot on and secure it to the sticky portion of the tape. This will prevent the boot from sliding off. Then one more wrap of tape around the top of the boot securing it to the exposed vetrap should do it.

CAUTION: All wrapping should be applied lightly as to not cut off any circulation. With this method I have never had a boot come off.

FWIW Tom

Wilber

Post by Wilber » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 pm

In my experience Ruffwear boots are the best. I've tried several brands plus home-made boots from inner tubes. Ruffwear held up the best and stayed on the longest, although eventually they come off too. The vet-wrap and tape idea suggested above sounds like a good one. Snow with a boiler plate crust seems to be the surest way to lose one or more. Good luck.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the info!!! For the moment, I've decided to forego the boots in the short-term....will probably revisit later. I like the looks of the Ruffwear boots...they look tough, but then looks can be very deceiving. You all do have me a bit worried with all the warnings about wrapping tape/vetwrap too tight...maybe I'd be better off letting nature take its course and letting my dog go bootless unless absolutely necessary (if I end up in real rocky terrain...or any lava type terrain).

Randy

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Randy,

No need to worry about wrapping. Just use common sense and realize that vetrap is a great product for many purposes. Just that it is designed to cling and will actually compress slightly from when you apply it. That is why it is works so well over wounds as it applies some pressure when applied over bandage dressings. Wrap it lightly and you won't have any issues, I've used it many times without problems.

As far as letting the feet go until you absolutely need it. The only problem I see with doing that is that the damage will already have been done, and the dogs feet will be very tender, boots or not. If they are not conditioned to the rocky terrain you will hunting I would error on the safer side and boot right away or maybe part of the day.

Tom

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Check sierratradingpost.com for ruff wear boots will save you a few $$$ if they have them.