Plastic crate comparison: Vari Kennel vs Winchester/Scott

gunner

Plastic crate comparison: Vari Kennel vs Winchester/Scott

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm

I used plastic crates(airline type) for years.
They were light easy to move and clean and seemed pretty well made. The metal crate doors show some rust after a number of years use, but they can be easily replaced.
Today while shopping at Gander Mt. I saw the new Winchester/Scott overhead door crate. Good olive drab color and innovative design BUT of the six models on the floor all had serious latch problems. This includes missing springs, missing catches, off track, etc. The metal grate is weak and I suspect a number of dogs could pull the light welds apart.
The molding on the floor of the crate appears uncomfortable unless thck bedding is used.
Bottom line for me is they need to beef up the door, latches and improve molding for the floor before I'd want to purchase one.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:28 pm

is that kennel the type that th door slides up in to the top of the crate kind of like a roll away desk front? I seen one of these crates on a tv show and realy liked the idea

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:19 am

Yes,
the door grate lifts towards you then store in the top.
I agree the design is innovative, and IL/ve been looking for olive drab models since Vari Kennel quit offering the OD. The Winchester/Scott model NEEDS a much beefier door, latch, springs, door glide and a better molding process to smooth out the humps in the floor. I would not purchase one as they stand now.
I'm not sure who else is making these crates.
I'd like to see some that are made better.