beeper collar or regular ecollar

jstsssgs

beeper collar or regular ecollar

Post by jstsssgs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 am

Hi, I am trying to decide between the TT Classic 70 G2 and the Upland G2. I have never used a beeper on any of my dogs and I was just wondering what the pros/cons were on using one. Does the beeper interfer with the dogs hearing or scare the birds? I just got a new brittany pup and she is only 13 weeks old so I have a little time before I need to purchase a collar. I see on TT website you can trade in your old collar for a new one and get 40% off the price. Thanks for the help!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: beeper collar or regular ecollar

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 am

If you have the moolah, I'd recommend a normal e-collar plus the Garmin Astro. Danged hard to beat...

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: beeper collar or regular ecollar

Post by BigShooter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:51 am

With your pup you don't know yet how far it will tend to range. For dogs that get out a ways in grass or cattails over their backs you'll likely want to know where it is and if it's gone on point. That why folks use a bell or a beeper. The beeper on the G2 Upland I use does interfere with the dogs hearing. It's better if you use your voice or whistle between the beeps. It's been my observation that birds appear to be able to locate the dog easier with a constant bell or beep. The birds seem to move to the ends of cover and/or flush wild more readily. However the beeper doesn't seem to cause a pointed bird to flush more readily. All that being said we usually fill out on wild pheasants in N.D. each time we go out, beeper or not.

The Garmin Astro uses GPS and among other things shows you where the dog is, how far from you it is and whether it's on point or not. I like hunting quietly so the Astro has a lot of appeal. The older DC20 units had a larger unit on the dog collar and it apparently tended to sliup underneath the dog's neck. The antenna needs to point up. Some folks added a whip antenna, used the collar underneath and looped the antenna to the top. The newer DC30 collar units are apparently smaller, lighter and remain upright better. Speaking of moolah they retail for $599 if I remember correctly and one of the GunDog Forum advertisers offers a discount to forum members.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it