What are you thoughts about the Sport Dog 1800?

mikej959@yahoo.com

What are you thoughts about the Sport Dog 1800?

Post by mikej959@yahoo.com » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:32 pm

I have an English Springer and I'm debating on what e collar to buy. From my understanding Sport Dog has a great warranty and support. Most the time she will hunt in close but sometimes if she sees someone else or a deer she will take off after it. I live in Iowa and hunt pheasants. We hunt a lot of thick cover and if she finds any water or when we hunt along the river she jumps right in there.

What do you guys think, is this collar going to stand up to these demands or is their a better collar that I should use?

Thanks

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: What are you thoughts about the Sport Dog 1800?

Post by BigShooter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 pm

I have a SportDog, an earlier model (the ProHunter 2400), about four years old. The control buttons begin to stick on the transmitter at 1 1/2 years and at the beginning of the second season the plastic ridge around the collar button broke off. The charge on one of the rechargable batteries would last 1/2 day in the field. When I contacted customer service they were friendly and fast ... the catch ... it cost about $80 plus tax but they sent me an entirely new transmitter, collar & batteries. In the meantime I purchased a Tri-Tronics G2 Upland, 2 dog unit that has worked perfectly. I have only used my "new" SportDog unit a couple of times but it has worked just fine.

Most people on this forum will recommend Tri-Tronics or Dogtra. Some folks have had good success with their Innotek units. Many others, one of my brothers included, won't recommend these units.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

smackerquacker

Post by smackerquacker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:20 am

I have the 1850 w beeper and run it on my lab and gsp. Happy with it, the transmitter started acting up and the customer service was great. They sent me a new transmitter immediately.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:03 pm

I use the sd-2000 which is a similiar version of the sd-1800, just a bit hotter on the low end for more stubborn dogs, and I have had great success with it over the years.

A friend of mine purchased a sd-1800 from me, lost it one fall at a camping trip on the top of a mountian and found it the next spring after a brutal winter buried under snow for many months and it still worked. amazing.

BuckWheat

Post by BuckWheat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 am

I have the 1800 and it works great. I have not had any problems with it and seems to hold a charge. In my opinion its a good buy.

NA

Post by NA » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Sent you a pm.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 am

In a side by side test I preferred the tri tronics G3 the SD only went maybe 20 yard further fully charged then the G3 did G3 advertise 1/2 mile SD says 3/4 mile this was clear line f site side by side

the G3 also offers lower level of stimulation

both companies have good customer service ...I found myself talking to SD quite a bit I hear they finally resolved some issues but over all in wear them down and work them the G3 also lasted longer then the sport dog did with me
battery for the sportdog desn't last near long enough where the 9 volt in the G3 if you get a good quality battery lasted almost a year again I use my collars a lot

the tri tronics receivers last much longer the the sport dog and are also much smaller

for the same money and Tri tronics are made in America by Americans the compny is down in tucson .... I have had the pleasure of touring the facilty pretty neat watching them make components and putting them together
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:45 am

Bought one 3 years ago. No problems with it at all. I did lose a transmitter last year out in the field and ordered a used one off eBay.Programmed very easily. I use it for water work all the time and haven't had one issue with it malfunctioning. They just work, and if they don't, call up their awesome customer service and I'm sure they will send you a new one... You can't beat the price, durability, dependability, and customer service. But, you also can't go wrong with Dogtra or TT either. All three are great companies. The one thing I do wish the 1800 had was a smaller receiver. Dogtra makes them the smallest I believe. But then again, my dog does not care. He will hunt with anything on him, including a weighted vest. Nothing gets in his way.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:57 am

Oh and you can't go wrong buying it from Gundogsupply.com. Test out a unit for 30 days and return it back for a full refund. Unbeatable IMO. See details here:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... rs-15.html

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 am

I bought the SD-1200 two years ago used it with beagles hunting rabbits for first year. Dropped it in a creek once jumping over, and had it in my pocket when I broke through ice last year. Still works great. Now am using it for my GSP, ordered new probes for like $8. Never had any issues.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:45 pm

One of the guys that we train with has a SD. The receiver (collar unit) is much bulkier than the TT.

I've had TT and Dogtra. The TT has held charge longer for me.

I have a Pro 500 G2 two-dog EXP (it's upgradeable to 3). Unless they come out with a unit that has training collar and GPS in one unit, I'm sticking with what I've got till about the time the cows come home.

PS: I sure did like that G1 transmitter, though....it would have been great if someone tried to mug you when out training. Just whap them with that thing and they'd be out cold! :wink:

Greg J.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:56 am

I've been using the SD 1825 for 2 months so I can't testify to its durability but it seems well built. I works well and charges quickly and doesn't need to be recharged very often. The only 'issue' I've had is the intensity knob moves rather easily and can be in a higher setting if you don't pay attention. My pup got ahold of it and chewed the antenna some without any ill effects.
Good product IMO.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I have nothing but good things to say about Sportdog. I originally bought a 400, the rubber button cover on the collar fell off, I called to buy a new button cover. Sportdog just sent me a whole new collar. I sold my 400 and moved on to the 1800 3 dog unit. I did not use one of the collars for a while and the battery went dead, I called Sportdog to buy a new battery, they just sent me one for free.

I would buy the 1825, it is just as good as the 1800 except the collars and the transmitters are alot smaller.