Shotgun Shells

Ryan

Shotgun Shells

Post by Ryan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:19 pm

Just wondering what everyone uses for pheasants, huns, and chukar.

Are you using a specialty shells such a pheasant loads by remington or are you using the walmart specials (federal, and winchester)?

Do you noticew any difference between the name brand shells and the walmart special shells?

What number are you using for these birds?

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:19 pm

I order a case of #7 1/2 1oz. 20 gauge loads for quail hunting, I'll get a case of 6's in a 1 oz. load as well for bigger birds.

Oh yeah what I get are Nobel Sport shotgun shells. They're a bit cheaper and they function just fine in my gun and I have no complaints. I use to shoot some heavy Remington 2 3/4" loads in my 12 gague but I found they burned very dirty, the 100 value round boxes they have at Wal-mart burned cleaner than the more expensive Remington heavier loads.
I also bought a case of Estate shells last year towards the end of season, the jury is still out on those but they didn't appear to be too bad.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:12 am

My dad loads 1-1/4 oz copper plated 5's for pheasant and keeps me supplied. --- Turns them inside out ---

Best,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:56 am

I haven't had the chance to hunt phesants yet, but I tend to use 7 1/2 or 8 shot shells for quail. I would imagine I would buy 6's for phesants when I get the chance to go hunting this fall.

Honestly, I usually buy WM specials. Since my Wally-world is pretty rural, they stock the federals, remingtons and the winchesters. I buy the 100 round pack of winchester shells.

I did shoot some estate shells ... last year? Maybe it was the year before, can't remember. I used them on clays only, but they smoked those rocks just like any other shell. Their best factor is that they're cheap. Their worst factor is that they're nothing special -- just like any other wally-world special shell (though, my WM doesn't stock them, I bought them elsewhere).

I would love to reload my own shells but that takes a pretty decent start-up cost and a know-how I just don't have yet.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:53 am

I normally shoot the Rem Shurshot Heavy Dove 7.5 & 8 1 1/8oz load @1255 FPS. Main reason I shoot these is they are the cheapest I can get at Academy. Hard to beat at $3.29 a box in my area.

I also shoot some Win AA 1 1/8oz loads @1300FPS that I got at Academy for $3.99 a box. Not sure if they shoot any better but they seemed to shoot cleaner.

For pheasants I had bought 3 boxes of Remington Xpress long range 3 3/4 Dram 1 1/4oz #6 several years ago & still have a box & half left. Which tells you how much pheasant hunting I do. I would still have more if it wasn't for using a box of these while hunting blue quail last year.

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:07 pm

Unfortunately where I hunt the majority of my pheasants it's on wetland areas that require steel shot. I loath steel and am going to switch to straight hevi-shot or the new hevi-steel when it becomes more available. If anyone knows of a place that has great prices on these types of shells drop me an email please.

When I used to hunt on areas before urban sprawl ate up my spots I would reload. I had a load for the old Peter’s blue magic shells that would push a 1 1/4 load at 1330 fps. It was awesome to say the least. I have yet to find a good recipe for rolling my own as all my Peter’s hulls are gone now.

I'm not set up to reload for steel. I usually load my own for grouse, and clays.

Addict

TAK

Re: Shotgun Shells

Post by TAK » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:23 pm

Ryan wrote:Just wondering what everyone uses for pheasants, huns, and chukar.

Are you using a specialty shells such a pheasant loads by remington or are you using the walmart specials (federal, and winchester)?

Do you noticew any difference between the name brand shells and the walmart special shells?

You talk as the Walmart specials are bad? They may be if you break it down but I can say I have shot a ton of them and like them, Plus they are CHEAP! (Only the Federal shells)
I am a 6 shot type of guy. I have used for years the Federal Hi-Powers for pheasants and late season Chukars. Quail Doves and game farm pheasants I like to use 7 1/2 Double AA's

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:04 pm

Addict
Here are a few lead loads for you

1 1/4 oz. Hodgdon HS6 (same as old win 540)33. grs
Win 209 primer
waa12f14 wad
1330 fps

1 1/4 oz. Hodgdon Longshot 32.1 grs.
CCI 209m primer
Rem sp12 wad
1440 fps !
These are all for AA hulls.

If you hit them with these they will drop.
Get a Hodgdon book or look on there site, they have some good loads.

Ryan

Re: Shotgun Shells

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:36 pm

TAK wrote:
Ryan wrote:Just wondering what everyone uses for pheasants, huns, and chukar.

You talk as the Walmart specials are bad? They may be if you break it down but I can say I have shot a ton of them and like them, Plus they are CHEAP! (Only the Federal shells)

I am a 6 shot type of guy. I have used for years the Federal Hi-Powers for pheasants and late season Chukars. Quail Doves and game farm pheasants I like to use 7 1/2 Double AA's
sorry tak didnt mean too. Its all I shoot as well. I was just wondering what everyone else shot.

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:58 pm

Thanks Dirtysteve!

That first load is almost identical to my old favorite. I have a bunch of HS6 left. Is there anywhere local that has the waa12f14 wads? I would like to try them out before I order a bunch in bulk.

Addict

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:22 pm

For pheasants I like 4,5 , and 6's depending on how the birds are acting and how my gun patterns also. I normally hunt with a 20 guage and would say 4's are my first choice. Less shot in the meat!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sdgord

shot shells

Post by sdgord » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Well in the 20 I like a 5 or 6 shot bismuth with a 1oz load. In the 28's I like a 4 or six shot bismuth 5/8 oz to 7/8 oz. Both of these gauges and loads I use on pheasants. Load size and shot size depends on time of the year, early birds get lighter loads. Doves I like the 9 shot from winchester in the 28 ga.SDGORD

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:58 pm

Ive always stuck to 6s for all birds in my 20 I just try and buy the fastest shells I can get

The size doesnt matter when you shoot them in the head :D

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:05 pm

I have akways used 5's for pheasants and 8's for partridge. I am going to wip out the ol 20 pump so i may upgrade 1 size for each bird.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:00 am

Addict
Sportsmans should carry them.
I usually only buy one bag at a time cause one bag is alot of pheasant shells.

4 Paws

Post by 4 Paws » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:32 pm

Winchester XX Mag 1.5 oz. #4 shot for pheasants .....the 4's seems to maintain its down range energy better then 5 or 6 shot and depending on the day birds may be getting up aways out. There is less pellets in your pattern so you must be on the bird ...no room for error but a hit bird usually is stone dead.

If your preserve hunting then cheap is the way to go, preserve birds just dont have the tenacity of a wild cock bird

I would also sayu that you could adjust your shot size based on the type of dog you are using and the time of year you are hunting.
Flushing dogs tend push the birds real hard and flushes maybe at 30+ yards which means by the time you have raised the gun and squeezed the trigger he is 40 yards out....not the time to scrimp or use light loads. Early season pheasants may sit nice and tight and provide you with 15-30 yard shots, while a late season pheasant may run and bust wild only giving you a 40+ yard shot .........so it all depends on what you are doing.

As for huns and chukars 1 1/8 oz should do fine as for shot size 7.5 would be fine but there again you must consider the above factors as they apply here as well.

If I had to pick one shot load/shot size combo, I would first determine what I will likely encounter the most of and decide based upon that .......probably all around I would choose an 1 1/4 oz of 6's should work in both scenarios without switching shells. Paws

APRock

Post by APRock » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:44 pm

Fiochi Golden Pheasant #5s most of the year. Occassionally move up to 3 in shells latter in the season and always carry some Federal field type loads in 6 or 7 1/2 if I get lucky enough to jump some Quail or perhaps a rabbit. Oh yeah, all 20 guage.

Don't know if it is my gun or me, but I agree with Addict - Steel sucks. Gonna have to try one of those dang expensive non tox loads.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:16 pm

I shot some Remington Premier 20 ga 1oz copper plated 8's through my skeet gun at a test this weekend.

OMG, it turns them every which way but loose. I'm going to try to find some in 7-1/2's to take to Montana with me.

Best regards,

omega58

Post by omega58 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:50 am

I patterned some 8's the other day through my Verona semi with a cylinder choke.

Estate patterned ok, a lot of shot in the middle, then some spotty parts through the rest of the area, but still will kill birds. . .I use them for clays at $3.19 per box.

Remington 1 oz. . .patterned about like the Estate with some holes, except not as bunched up in the middle. . $3.50 a box

Fiocchi white rino 8s. . .most spread out and no holes in the pattern. . I can see why these are $5.99 per box. These will be my early season load for grouse and woodcock from now on. . .it's not like you get that many shots anyway, might as well make them worth it.

As far as steel. . .that hevi-shot stuff is amazing and you don't have to worry about crips if you hit them!!!! :wink:

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:30 am

Remmington game loads in 7.5's with a 12 guage. I used them for both quail and pheasant - pen raised though. I downed a pheasant and a few quail with them. No problem.

qballs

Post by qballs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:30 am

I have been using Kent #6's early and go to #5's later in the season for pheasants. For Huns I have been using Winchester Heavy target loads in #7. They were fantastic this year. 1550 fps.
I still use the occaisional $4.00 box from Canadian Tire, and they work great up close, but I have seen too many feathers fly and nothing drop.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:50 am

Pheasants - 12 ga, 2 1/2" - 1oz, 6's early seasaon With a pointing dog that's all I need if I point it right. And no recoil to speak of.

I tried those Fed premium Pheasant loads 1 1/4 plated 5's 1500 FPS Oh my..They knock the stuffing right out of those birds. But it thumps me good too. I guess i'm a little recoil sensitive

Sharptails - 12 ga, 2 1/2" - 1oz, 7 1/2's

Those 2 1/2" loads would be great for young shooters or people who are sensitive to heavy recoil.

Ruff Grouse and Woodcock -
20 ga, 2 3/4" 7/8 oz 7 1/2's 1200 FPS
28 ga, 2 3/4" 3/4 oz 7 1/2's or 8's

Jedi Woodsman

Post by Jedi Woodsman » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 pm

Pheasants are Fiochi 12 ga 1 oz 3 1/4 dr. shot 5 or 6. I'll use the 6 on squirrels if I have any left.

EVIL X

Post by EVIL X » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:07 pm

I have had good success with the Federal Wing-shock number 5's....

There about 10 bucks a box, and pack a punch. I've dropped many birds from afar using these shells....

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:31 am

Fiochi Golden Pheasant #5s most of the year. Occassionally move up to 3 in shells latter in the season and always carry some Federal field type loads in 6 or 7 1/2 if I get lucky enough to jump some Quail or perhaps a rabbit. Oh yeah, all 20 guage.

Don't know if it is my gun or me, but I agree with Addict - Steel sucks. Gonna have to try one of those dang expensive non tox loads.
Same here, except I usually carry a 16 and shoot 1 1/8 Golden Pheasant, or a light 12 auto and shoot the 1 3/8's. In November, I switch to 4's. Sometimes in the late season where shots are very long, even over pointers, I go to 2's in a 12 magnum.

In the early season, opening weekend, or in game farm hunting, pheasants die easily. Later in the season they don't just keel over with fright at the sound of a gun going off.

And steel sucks. I carry Hevi-Shot when we have to use nontox in the WMA's.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:33 pm

I also like 5's or 6's and prefer a 16 gauge for pheasants. The past few years I've been leaving the 12's at home.

I also have a 20 ga SxS that I like too, but usually just tote that one for grouse. Usually 6's here too.

Shot shell of choice for me is Winchester XX in high brass for both the 16 & 20.

I use the WalMart Remington 20 ga loads for practice. By the case they are super cheap.

I load my own trap and field loads for the 12, I really like Hodgdon Clays powder. For heavier field loads I use HS-6.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:And steel sucks. I carry Hevi-Shot when we have to use nontox in the WMA's.
I hear ya there John. Steel does suck. All of us Minnesotan's might have to get used to using non-tox in the not too distant future. What I'm hearing is the DNR will most likely ban all lead shot for all hunting purposes, including upland. Not sure if this also applies to private land, but public for sure. Not a case of if, but when..... :(

huntoverlabs

Post by huntoverlabs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Fiochi Golden Pheasant #5s most of the year. Occassionally move up to 3 in shells latter in the season
Same here for pheasants but usually in a 20 ga and #6's for the early season. Late season I'll move to a 12 ga.