Collar Questions

cocdawg

Collar Questions

Post by cocdawg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Which is better and why? (a)Nylon vs. Leather;(b) 1" width vs. 3/4" width;(c) O-ring vs. D-ring

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Collar Questions

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:36 pm

which ever I like the d rings over the o rings

the o ring corners can get sharp and rub dogs more so with the vinyl collar then the leather ones

nothing real major but can occur over time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 am

i think its more personal preference than anything. I probably have a drawer full of collars but i prefer mendotas braided collars, they look really good and seem to hold up to the wear and tear. the only problem i have found with leather is when it gets wet it really absorbs the moisture.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:32 pm

leather or nylon makes no difference to me. I use to prefer leather but for many years I have used orange nylon. I prefer the 1 inch with 0 ring mounted in center of collar. Reason when you grab the collar the ring is always ready to snap a lead with no fumbling.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:33 am

Orange plastic coated nylon.I like the O ring,easier to leash a dog up.
Dog On Point!!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:26 pm

I like the looks of leather, but that's about it. Actually, my best collar is a custom Permatack collar. However, when they make those with an O-ring, they double the material over which causes the collar to be quite thick. That makes it very difficult to attach a brass infoplate, so I don't think I'll be getting another one of those unless Mary agrees to modify the design a little bit. (If you buy a Permatack collar and want to balk at the price, just remember that if you order it big enough it will be the last collar you ever need to buy for your dog)

That said, I do prefer the coated nylon collars. But what's this thing about D-ring or O-ring? I've always thought that the O-ring's main purpose was to allow the collar to roll over if it got caught on brush, and the D-ring is what you're supposed to use when attaching a lead. (That's why I insist on both.) On occasion I've clipped a lead onto an O-ring when faced with little option. But it tends to slip the ring back, causing the collar to cinch up like a limited version of a choke chain.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:50 pm

I too like the orange nylon either plastic coated or not with both rings. However I seldom use the D ring as I always snap to the back side of the o ring. I like it because it is on top and handy. I use both rings when teaching whoa at the whoa post.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:34 am

I bought these collars [K-9 Komfort TufFlex Center Ring Dog Collar] (2 of them) from recommendation of posters on this site. I find them to be tough and really great. They have both rings, and while I use the D ring for my leash, in a pinch, the O ring comes in handy.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm

mto4life,
I really like those collars myself. You will find that they don't fade or absorb moisture and I like the feel of the material.