New Boots

Ryan

New Boots

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:32 pm

Hey guys,
I am in the market for new boots. I need them to be snake bite proof and extremly comfy. What do u guys suggest?

I have been looking at these.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:09 pm

I'd insulate them with 200 to 400 gm Thinsulate for walking. More if sitting on a deer stand.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 pm

No ezzy i prepher the bird hunting thats all these boots will see is the open feild and the trial//test feild.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:12 pm

Seen these puppies too like them better.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Addict

Post by Addict » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:08 am

Ryan,

The most comfortable boot I own is made by Danner. I got the 8" high ones with 400 grams of insulation. I use them early in august as well and they are not too hot. You will want insulation come pheasant season. They are going on their third year and are holding up well. I found them on clearance and saved 50% because they were the last years model.

Everyone's feet are different so I would suggest trying on several brands and see what feels good to you. My Danner's where the first pair that never gave me blisters. Ask around about brands because I know some fall apart after one year.

Sorry I can't help you on the brands you posted. I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:07 pm

My best bird hunting boots are made by Cabelas. No there not snake proof but I have found them to last longer than any other boot. I think they are called the Bruin. They are a bit heavey and hot for hot conditions but wet and slick they are the ticket.

I look for a boot..... I like anything with a Bob Lug Sole on them. Better traction on ice and mud. 600 thinslate or higher. And as water proof as possible. The Bruin I can get about one and half seasons out of them. Right know I am guiding in some swamps and pretty wet area's. Come the 8th I will be in the Mountains chasing the mighty Elk. Then back to the guiding. THis area has Alkali in the waters and mud and eats away at the boots pretty fast.
I also drag my feet at the toe and the bruin has a toe cap.

My OP is that you can never go wrong in paying for a good pair of boots. It is a plus if you can find them onsale. Like Addict I like the Danners, I wear every day for work. They just don't last as long for me in hunting terrain.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:01 am

I am in agreement on Danners. I wear Ecco`s, lightweight and waterproof. Rick is a huge fan of Russell`s ever since he won a pair. They make them for your foot. I don`t see where they have any support, but he lives in them.
brenda

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 am

I just talked to my brother in-law about boots the other day. He has his own landscaping business and goes through several pairs of boots a year. He said that the danner's don't hold up for the long haul if you wear them everyday. He did say that they were the most comfortable though. He hasn't found a brand yet that meets his expectations.

Addict

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:42 pm

For comfort I can Always throw in some gel insols. I am still looking local but havent found mch. A trip to the big city may be in order.

amaya

Post by amaya » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:42 pm

Ryan,
I see you're looking at a pair of Browning boots. I 'm currently using 3 pair of featherweight kangaroo boots. Two uninsulsted and one pair insulated when we're hunting in the snow. We hunt 4 to 6 days a week for 7 months of bird season here. The boots are really light and 100% waterproof. There's also no breaking in period. If you take care of the boots and keep them clean with saddle soap and mink oil, they last alot longer. I never wear same boots 2 days in a row. I'm now starting the 3rd season with them. Yea, they get nicked and scratched up some. But never have wet feet. Try a pair on and it's like wearing a good pair of high top sneaks. I also have a few pair of Danner boots I use for backpacking and work. Check the Sportsman's Guide and Cabelas when they do their inventory clearance in the spring. The featherweights list from $229.00- $249.00. The most I paid for them was $150.00 a pair for the insulated ones.

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 pm

Have you tried Russllls.
Not the cheapest but in my opinion the best you can get.
I have a pair of south 40 birdhunters and they are the best thing I could have bought besides my shotgun for bird hunting. Since then I bought 2 more pairs of chuka's for everyday boots.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Michael

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:46 am

$99 - Very Comfortable and snake / water proof to 16" I have walked 15 - 20 miles in these boots ( straight out of the box ) many times with reg. tube socks and they are great.

My first pair started getting damp inside if walking in LOTS of water high up on the boot, but they sent me a new pair overnight FREE.

CSR: They are to be watertight and if I have any more problems to give them a call for a new pair.

The rubber sole is like foam rubber that absorbs shock.

PS: Old pair was getting damp inside since new and got worse with wear. New pair has been tested to top of boot and is completely dry after approx. 100 miles of hiking. Old pair prob. had 4-5 hundred miles on them and the only prob. was they got damp in high water since new, so it must have been a flaw when made.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... ID=&cmCat=