WALKER'S GAME EAR???

LEGLIFTER

WALKER'S GAME EAR???

Post by LEGLIFTER » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am

I am considering the purchase of the Walker's Game Ear as a solution for hearing protection that will allow me to hear the others around me when upland hunting. I rarely have worn hearing protection in the field because I think hearing those around me is more important from a safety perspective.

Does anybody care to share their experiences good or bad?
If so was it money well spent?
Which ear do you use it in?
Do you plug the other ear with a "dumb" plug?
How does wind affect its use?

Thanks,
Stephan

P.S. I searched the forum first, but surprisingly, I couldn't find anything on it.

natetnc

Re: WALKER'S GAME EAR???

Post by natetnc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 am

knew someone who used it for deer hunting, said the leaves on the ground bugged him so much that he only used it a handful of times. i would think walking through the grass or brush would create enough noise to be irritating.

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 am

I use a set of SportEar's on occasion. Similar to the Walker, but much higher quality. I use one in each ear, and they were custom molded for my ear canals. They are very comfortable, and work really well.

MataPAto

Post by MataPAto » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Adding in that I would also like to hear users' opinions on noise cancelling/augmenting hearing devices, particularly in windy conditions.

Many thanks

-John

reba

Post by reba » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't believe these devices are worth a darn upland hunting. To much noise from your foot steps, breathing etc. Not very comfortable either. They would be great in a tree stand. Did not like it and sold it to a guy that was almost deft. Wear it in the ear closest to the gun.

Now with all that said I aways use ear protection at the range shotgun, rifle, pistol etc.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

LEG

I used to practice and hunt alot with my 2 .357 mag Rugers- damaged the left ear- so I bought the Walkers Game Ear- just the plain one- still have it-

so I used it a bit archery hunting- and some upland hunting- didn't find any advantage in the hunting- it's a pretty good product, not hard on the battery, easily adjusts while you wear it, if you wear glasses you need a strap as it conflicks with the glasses over the ear a bit- it does good at enchancing the sounds- all sounds- and when you turn any ear sound enchancer up you are going to get conflicting sounds- feel in my case I liked hunting without it- don't really hunt sounds- and turning it up to hear woods sounds didn't work for me-

you don't have to plug the other ear, adjust the sound to match the sound you hear in the other ear- as for loud noise protection- I never used it for that- would be a bit leary about that so called "shuts off on very loud sounds"

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm

natetnc wrote:knew someone who used it for deer hunting, said the leaves on the ground bugged him so much that he only used it a handful of times. i would think walking through the grass or brush would create enough noise to be irritating.
he had it turned up to high- with a little smarts you turn it up to reasonably match normal hearing- not enchance sounds-
my neighbor had hearing problems archery hunting- he liked his hearing aid turned up high, saying he could hear them and get ready- he forgot that deer can sometimes drift in soundless- and he actually counted on his hearing aids- till I walked by him following a deer within his bow range

lindalewis

Post by lindalewis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:39 am

Has anyone used the Walker's Game Ear for bowhunting?

What are your thoughts?

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:52 am

I bow hunted with the Walkers Game Ear. Worked great. Although every time I heard a squirrel or birds messing around in dry leaves I thought deer were coming took some getting used to that. I dont think I would like to walk and upland hunt with it though.