Dogtra SureStim = SureStupid

alangandy

Dogtra SureStim = SureStupid

Post by alangandy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 am

I have been lurking these boards for a while. I was in the market for a new e-collar, and decided to purchase the new Dogtra with their new SureStim feature. The ability to receive a positive feedback of stimulation implementation through the transmitter was very appealing to me. I couldn't find any reviews of this new feature, but I made my purchase based upon good reviews of their other products. Well, that was a mistake. The SureStim feature does not provide a positive feedback loop. The SureStim feature just enables the transmitter to vibrate if you press a button. I found this out by testing with the collar powered off - the transmitter still vibrated. This obviously discounts Dogtra's product documentation: "The new Surestim feature assures the trainer that the stimulation has been implemented through a positive vibration feedback feature in the handheld transmitter."
What Dogtra should state is: "We added a vibrator to the transmitter, so you will know if you pressed the button, or not. The collar may, or may not receive the signal." the only Sure in SureStim is that this is Surely a worthless, overhyped feature.
Knowing what I know now, I would have preferred to of purchased a collar with a longer range instead of a vibrating transmitter.

tori

Re: Dogtra SureStim = SureStupid

Post by tori » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 pm

i sure would like to know what dogtras response is about this?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 pm

vibration collars are designed for the people to be able to use an e collar and not think they are stimulating their dog

I watch dogs and i see more reaction to the vibration of those collars then I do with the low levels of the pro series tri tronics collar
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 am

Send it back in exchange for the Dogtra 1800.....that thing has a reported mile range 8 cont or momentary stimulation, and unlike there other collars it has 8 seperate levels it does not have the rheostat dial. IMO that is one of there better made collars. Or send it back and get a TT.

Just a thought,
Chip

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:39 am

AlanGandy,
Send it back and look for a Dogtra 2000 or before T&B, they were the best Dogtra collars ever made. If you want a new Collar purchase the DT Systems H20 T&B
I am testing a dual Collar set right now, and the single Collar sets will work great.
RGD/Dave

buckwildbirddogs

Post by buckwildbirddogs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I have the Dogtra SureStim and LOVE it. I did not buy it thinking that every time the transmitter vibrated the dog received a correction. I bought it because I wanted to make sure I knew when a button was pushed. Collar is very durable, works well, could not ask for better. The vibration of the transmitter is great for when I am wearing gloves, cold weather, or if for some reason a button gets pushed accidentally (that way I know it was me that screwed up and not the dog having an off momment). This collar has out lasted our other SportDog, DT T&B, TriTronics collars.

I would recommend this collar to anyone. Gentle enough for my sister-in-laws 12lb King Charles Spaniel but will also correct our 70lb GSP with a mind of his own.
Bobby & Danielle Meade
Buck Wild Bird Dogs

Dixieland's Buck Wild - GSP Male
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2260
Packman's TipToe N Maggie - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2261
BW's Fancy Rawhide Rebel - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2262
Abby's Ramblin Rose - Brittany Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2267

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:vibration collars are designed for the people to be able to use an e collar and not think they are stimulating their dog

I watch dogs and i see more reaction to the vibration of those collars then I do with the low levels of the pro series tri tronics collar
You are right and they sure work well. Really like the results you get from it while saving the electrical stimulation for needed corrections.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 pm

I don't think the idea is all that bad. Maybe advertized wrong. Been a lot of time's I've tried to bump a dog and got no clue why it didn't work. So had to look at the transmitter to see what was wrong, dead battery. Be nice to know that without looking at the transmitter so I can keep an eye on a dog that just fouled up and try to over come it.

In my opinion, most collars today have way to much stuff built in. I do like the vibrator but nor crazy about 100 different stimulation levels, especially when they are so easy to change, should have click stops there. If a collar had say 5 levels, you'd have all you needed. And more than one button is awful. I don't watch my hand to know for sure what button I'm pushing. On one of my Dortras the vibrate button is on the side and two buttons on the face. The other is exactly the opposite! They have three button's on them when all I need is one! I believe these things were not designed to make a better collar but rather to make people thing they were getting something better! Nothing is better, there is just more choices have to be made! But people that think they are buying a better mouse trap will certainly buy it!

I forgot. I also have a TT Pro 100. It has less levels of stimulation but has two stim buttons, they are color coded red, oh boy, and another to buzz, it is black to keep from being confused. Problem is to change different levels of stimulation you have to push the black ones in different sequences and have the switch on top turned to the proper 1 to 5 setting. I'm a simple guy, I like things simple.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 pm

DonF wrote:I don't think the idea is all that bad. Maybe advertized wrong. Been a lot of time's I've tried to bump a dog and got no clue why it didn't work. So had to look at the transmitter to see what was wrong, dead battery. Be nice to know that without looking at the transmitter so I can keep an eye on a dog that just fouled up and try to over come it.

In my opinion, most collars today have way to much stuff built in. I do like the vibrator but nor crazy about 100 different stimulation levels, especially when they are so easy to change, should have click stops there. If a collar had say 5 levels, you'd have all you needed. And more than one button is awful. I don't watch my hand to know for sure what button I'm pushing. On one of my Dortras the vibrate button is on the side and two buttons on the face. The other is exactly the opposite! They have three button's on them when all I need is one! I believe these things were not designed to make a better collar but rather to make people thing they were getting something better! Nothing is better, there is just more choices have to be made! But people that think they are buying a better mouse trap will certainly buy it!
So very very true.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I use the 3500 for my retrievers. The only thing I do not like about Dogtra is the buttons and the fact that you can't just switch levels by different buttons you have to use the dial.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"