I PHONE

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

I PHONE

Post by ACooper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this but I just got an IPhone and am curious what apps you guys and gals have downloaded that you like.

Please post your recommendations of any type of apps.

SubMariner

Re: I PHONE

Post by SubMariner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:39 pm

ACooper wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this but I just got an IPhone and am curious what apps you guys and gals have downloaded that you like.

Please post your recommendations of any type of apps.
It's arguably the best piece of technology I own. Better than schlepping around a phone & either a PDA or paper calendar/day timer. The Apps are pretty great too; you can literally get hundreds of them free: anything from conversions to movies and everything in between. Just do a search for something you like, READ the reviews, and take it from there.

My only complaint is the OS debacle. I have a 3G which works fine, TYVM. But the "upgraded" OS4 has been nothing but trouble for this generation of phones. Also, the "newest" iTunes is likewise a PITA.

So I stopped trying to DL the new OS and reinstalled the previous version of iTunes. But you also have to make sure you don't download an "upgrade" that won't play nice with your OS version.

IOW, as long as you keep these little cautionary tales in mind, you'll be fine. ;)
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:06 am

I have a Droid Incredible, so while I get stuff from a different app store than you do, the best apps are pretty much the same on both, they just might have different names.

If you don't have Google Maps installed or something similiar, get it. It will basically replace your car GPS.

Geodelic or Urbanspoon - uses the GPS in your phone to tell you where the nearest gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc are. Great app for when you're out of town.

If you got an Iphone 4, I THINK they are capable of multitasking and can have several apps open at once, whereas the previous Iphones could not. If that is the case, then find a good app killer software. Leaving apps running on your phone is the quickest way to drain the battery. I have an icon on my home page that I push every time I'm done using my phone that kills off everything that isn't needed. Goes a long way towards extending battery life.

Also get a charger for your car and one for your office. You'll get through the day no problem if all you do is make phone calls, but if you do a fair amount of browsing, running apps, have the GPS turned, have it hooked up to Wi-Fi, etc - it will wipe out your battery in no time. Battery life is an issue with any Iphone or any Droid phone. It's just the nature of the beast.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 pm

phermes1 wrote: If you got an Iphone 4, I THINK they are capable of multitasking and can have several apps open at once, whereas the previous Iphones could not. If that is the case, then find a good app killer software. Leaving apps running on your phone is the quickest way to drain the battery. I have an icon on my home page that I push every time I'm done using my phone that kills off everything that isn't needed. Goes a long way towards extending battery life.

Also get a charger for your car and one for your office. You'll get through the day no problem if all you do is make phone calls, but if you do a fair amount of browsing, running apps, have the GPS turned, have it hooked up to Wi-Fi, etc - it will wipe out your battery in no time. Battery life is an issue with any Iphone or any Droid phone. It's just the nature of the beast.
Good advice!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

JoeFriday

Post by JoeFriday » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

I second the motion to get spare charging cables. You can get generic ones from Yahoo sellers that work just as well, last as long, and cost a buck a piece compared to the ones from Apple costing $15 or more. I buy them by the dozen (literally) and always have a spare or two at work, car, home. It came in VERY handy last night when Kimber saw it and chewed the end off in less than a minute. Rather than getting mad at her, I just gave her a light smack and a 'no' and pulled another one out of the drawer.

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:12 pm

the two best apps i have are; 1) Around Me - finds places quickly and can drive you there, 2) App Box Lite - the loan calclulator is awesome

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Wife has a Droid and it has an app that enables you to use your phone as a wireless router for your laptop, so you can get internet anywhere. If you have kids and want some fun apps I could recommend about 20 of those.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 pm

I have the droid. The ones I like TIKL ,voice search,Shop Savvy is really cool for checking prices. Prankdial is a funny one to play on your friends.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 am

My favorite iPhone apps:

MotionX GPS - topo, satellite, road maps etc.
Rest Area - tells you where the rest areas are on the road your on, and what services they have
Dragon Dictation - when you can't type, just talk
MultiConvert
Measures
5-0 Radio Pro
StarWalk
ZenTap Pro
Week Calendar (Does everything the iPhone native calender should do, but doesn't)
PhotoShop Express

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Favorites:

RadarScope <-- Great radar application
Weatherbug <-- Good for checking weather (temp, wind, etc) closeby
CraigsPro+ <-- Great application for checking Craigslist
PetMD Finder <-- For locating vets nearby
RedLaser <-- Price checking utility (scans UPC codes)
Pandora <-- Internet radio
5-0 Radio Pro <-- Police, Fire, etc Internet Scanner

Have a bunch more, but these are the ones I find most useful...

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm

I have found several that I use on a regular basis.

Sunrise & Set
Isolunar
Google Earth
Moon River
The Weather Channel
What the Duck
ESPN Scorecenter
Photobucket
Around Me ( I use this the most since I travel all the time)
Pay Pal
Aol Radio

JoeFriday

Post by JoeFriday » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm

nikegundog wrote:Wife has a Droid and it has an app that enables you to use your phone as a wireless router for your laptop, so you can get internet anywhere.
That's what I'm doing right now with my iPhone. You just have to jailbreak it (which is incredibly easy). I haven't paid for internet access in two years.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

You can actually tether to the I phone with out the jailbreak, we do it at work.