Cameras, what do you have

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:52 pm

I have to ditto the new Rebel, we just got one and it came with 4 lenses, a 300 zoom (all Tamron). The 300 is about all I use.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Brenda,

The higher pwoered zooms are great for getting either the wider view landscapes or the closeups od the dogs. I found that was the one I always used also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:06 pm

Here's a picture done with a D70 and a 70-300 Sigma. It will blow up to 16x20 easily. I have one of a deer that I did blow tp 16x20 and the lab told me I could have gone to 20x24.

Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

AnnaBella

Post by AnnaBella » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:40 am

Panasonic DMC FZ20K.

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:55 am

Nikon D80, various lenses from various makers, third party lens makers make good glass that is affordable they also make some crap i reviewed alot of comments and reviews on photo sites and that pointed me to the third party lenses that performed well at a third to half the price. As for the D80 it can out perform my skills.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:14 am

I no longer like carrying a lot of stuff with me. I've found that the more equipment I carry, the less pictures I take. This year I went to a Canon Powershot S5 IS. It has a 12X zoom with Digital Zoom that takes it to 48x. It has a built in image stabilizer. I also got a package and got the tele extender and 2X telephoto with it. That lets me go to 96X. It's a very small, light camera and so far seems to do everything I want. 8 megapixel and in macro mode focuses from 4" on. The camera is less than a pound and the extra lenses fit in your pockets if you want to carry them. I think the entire kit including metal case was $500.00. Take a look at it; it's and impressive unit. Camera also has movie and audio capability.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

earlthepearl

Post by earlthepearl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 am

I use a Canon Digital SLR 10 Mg Pixel.

I love it. full automatic use makes it easy to use for the average joe, but you need to learn how to use the manual mode if you have never used a SLR camera before.
Cost was $900 with an average lense. A good lense will cost as much or more then the camera.
Images are crisp, sharp, beautiful color and I love shooting manual. It took me awhile to get used to digital when I switched from my 35mm Nikon ( still have it ), but once I realized that I can take about 400 pictures without changing film or waiting for dark room, I was convinced.
We also have a Canon Elph Digital 7.1 megapixel for on the go. currently hubby is using it on his deployment and has taken wonderful pictures with it. Cost was somewhere around $300. A bonus is it captures short video with sound.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Just to follow up on my old post, the Canon Digital Elph is a SD110. My G3 is actually a G2, and last fall I bought a Olympus Stylus 770SW. The Olympus is 7MP, waterproof to 33 feet, and shockproof. I bought it for field use - hunting and fishing.

No viewfinder, but it does have a big LCD.

I think that the Elph takes better looking pictures though. Canon makes some of the best PHD's out there.

jimbow478

Re: Cameras, what do you have

Post by jimbow478 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Check out the Pentax Optio W90. It is an extreme outdoors camera. We have a Nikon D200, but it was just to big for taking wakeboarding, hunting, fishing & MX, so we got this bad little dude. It is water proof, does stills & video, both underwater also. It comes with a caribiener & is rubber coated on the edges to survive a pretty good drop. Amazon around $235-$279.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 am

Sounds like a cool little camera. Although I wonder if it would survive the torture test that killed my last point and shoot -- a trip through the wash cycle in my cargo shorts! :oops: I have a Nikon D70, but the Pentax sounds like a great camera for my whitewater trips.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am

Post from the past...

I now have a Canon Elph 790 IS, and a Canon D60 SLR. Love those Canon cameras!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Panasonic Lumix FZ40k
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Maverick

Re:

Post by Maverick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

Interesting how long this thread has hung around. Since this time I first purchased a Nikon D200 and now have a D300 as well and am well bitten by the photography bug.
I do hope to add a Panasonic FZ 100 to the mix so I have a point and shoot to haul around when I don't want my heavy DSLR camera but most times I do not mind hauling them around as they take great pictures.

Mav....

Maverick wrote:I have a Kodak Z740 which has a 10X zoom.
Takes pretty good pics but I would really love the Nikon D70.
One day it will happen.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Anyone have any experience with a Canon SX30IS or a Nikon Coolpix P100..Thanks

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:29 pm

bossman wrote:Anyone have any experience with a Canon SX30IS or a Nikon Coolpix P100..Thanks
My mom has one of those - it's a good camera. The 35x optical zoom is why she bought it (and I told her to buy a Canon!) and she used it extensively on a recent Med cruise. It took very nice pictures, and had very good battery life.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Stay away from the Nikon P100. The Canon is a much better camera. There are several reviews around and the Nikon does not stand up very well to Canon, Panason FZ40 or FZ100.
You will not go wrong with the Canon or Panasonic.

André
bossman wrote:Anyone have any experience with a Canon SX30IS or a Nikon Coolpix P100..Thanks
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

northern cajun

Re:

Post by northern cajun » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Ayres wrote:Whoops, didn't know that Casper!

If you're wanting a pocket camera I'd prioritize in a practical manner about the capabilities then. First, make sure it has a quick start-up time, then make sure it has a 'good-e-nuff' resolution and compression, then make sure it has a respectable zoom (you likely won't be needing much, to be honest). Sounds like the Canon you have scoped out is a good bet.

Here's a little website I found that explained resolution and compression. It seems the statement that the brain can't comprehend beyond 7.9 megapixels is somewhat misguided. In actuality, a higher-megapixel camera allows you to print a higher quality image at larger sizes, so there's no real 'comprehension limit' for the human brain in that respect. For practical purposes, though, the home user won't print anything beyond an 8x10 photo, and 7.9 megapixels is quite enough to print a very high quality photo at that size.

http://www.microscope-microscope.org/im ... lution.htm

This is a misconception to a certain point. More is not better is all relative. More pixels can create noise in a pic.
http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_noise.html
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:11 pm

I have a Nikon D 50 with a Tamron 18-270mm lens it covers all of it for me. I agree with Brenda and Ezzy about the lenses they do make a difference.

However this camera is a bit large to take into the woods if I am carrying my gun as well but if I am just handling its great, but it produces fantastic photos.

For a smaller camera I thinking about a Canon G10 or Powershot I tried them and was very impressed.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Sony Cybershot 12.1 MP

Point and shoot, $100ish, easy to use, takes good pictures. Well, good enough.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...