Advice- Boots

prairiefirepointers

Advice- Boots

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:19 am

Anyone have any experience with the Danner Pronghorns?
I have tromped around in sub-par footwear far long enough... I am looking at the Danner Pronghorn GTX 8" Hunting Boots.
I read some reviews and people either raved about em or griped about the lack of water resistance. However, We all spend many days afield, so I would appreciate your feedback if you have knowlege of this brand. Nothing sucks worse than sore feet on a hunt. My arches get to killing me after awhile from the lack of support in my "old dogs".. they're just ol wolverine work boots.

Time for a "Beyonce UPGRADE" :lol: 8) (If you haven't seen the commercial, please disregard.) :roll: :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Advice- Boots

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:34 am

Jess,
One of my best friends bought the sharptails, loves them we tromped all over NW KS in the snow last Jan, he never had a leak or an issue.

I decided to go with the LL Bean technical upland boots, they are far and away the best boots I have worn.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:02 am

I had a pair of Danners and I think they were the Pronghorns.

I've heard lots of great things about Danners, but that pair didn't really work out for me. They weren't all that comfortable or waterproof. Admittedly, I probably could have made things better if I had taken better care of the leather, but I'm not sure it would have made that big a difference. Made my feet sore and I didn't like having them on all day. I've been much happier with Rocky or Redhead.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am

ACooper wrote:Jess,
One of my best friends bought the sharptails, loves them we tromped all over NW KS in the snow last Jan, he never had a leak or an issue.

I decided to go with the LL Bean technical upland boots, they are far and away the best boots I have worn.
I've heard rave reviews about them, but only from one person. What did you like about them? How do they hold up against moisture?

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 am

I got a buddy who guide's for the local "can hunt" establishment here in Pretty Prairie. He absolutely swears by the Danners.. He kinda turned me on to em by his talkin about em. I'm a poor ol country boy who's never had an actual pair of "upland hunting boots" and its time I spoiled myself with a pair.

I think I'm gona head over to Wichita tonight and hit up the chicken mountain (Gander MTN) and try some on. One way or the other, Im wearin new kicks for the season opener. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:48 am

V-John wrote:

I've heard rave reviews about them, but only from one person. What did you like about them? How do they hold up against moisture?

I saw a review in a magazine about the technical boots.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... land-boots

I have several pairs of just the old-fashioned Maine Hunting duck boots, of which the last pair was purchased when Clinton was President.

It is a no risk purchase. Even if 5 years from now they leak you will get your money back or a new pair.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:32 pm

I looked the other day for the technical upland boots on LL Beans site and could not find them, are they still carrying them?

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

The pronghorns are a nice boot, but they are no where near as durable as the US made stitch down models. If you keep them greased, you can put 2 or 3 soles on the nicer boot. The extra $100 is well worth it in my opinion.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

lvrgsp wrote:I looked the other day for the technical upland boots on LL Beans site and could not find them, are they still carrying them?
Those boots are sold out. I was bored waiting for friends to grab a cocktail and called Beans. They are sold out so they took them off the website. June 2011 they are expected back.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:The pronghorns are a nice boot, but they are no where near as durable as the US made stitch down models. If you keep them greased, you can put 2 or 3 soles on the nicer boot. The extra $100 is well worth it in my opinion.
Which boots are you talking about? I like a boot that I can replace the sole on. The heat here in AZ tends to separate the uppers from the sole on the glued-down version. Need me some new boots...

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm

V-John wrote:

Just got back from North Dakota I wore these boots everyday, they are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I slogged through snow and cattail slews all over North Dakota three days in a row never a leak and never a let down. I have no issues with insoles or anything else so far. Light weight plenty of support and the biggest difference is when I got done hunting my feet didnt feel like I had just walked all day.

My only gripe is they could use a little more cleat when trying to get up step hills with snow on it. But in that situation most boots could use a little more cleat.

BTW you will probably have to wait till next year to buy a pair, I emailed Bean about them because I liked them so much I was going to buy my dad a pair but I was told they are out of stock until possibly as late as June 2011.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I have the Sharptail Coveys as well and if you hunt wet and cold they are fantastic but if you hunt moderate to warm temps. you might think of another boot cause mine do not breathe at all and by the time I get my foot out of them on a warm dry day my feet are burning up. They are a great boot and tough too. I hunt cactus, yucca and mesquite and they have never failed me but as has been stated a bit more tread on them would be nice and a bit more breathability as well. They are comfortable as well. I hunt large tracts of CRP for pheasant and a huge ranch for quail and walk all day in them.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm

AzHusker wrote:
Ridge-Point wrote:The pronghorns are a nice boot, but they are no where near as durable as the US made stitch down models. If you keep them greased, you can put 2 or 3 soles on the nicer boot. The extra $100 is well worth it in my opinion.
Which boots are you talking about? I like a boot that I can replace the sole on. The heat here in AZ tends to separate the uppers from the sole on the glued-down version. Need me some new boots...
These are what I am wearing. http://www.danner.com/boots/hood-winter ... boots.html

5 years going strong over some of the nastiest chukar and elk country you will ever see.

My brother in law just picked himself up a pair of these. http://www.danner.com/boots/sierratm-me ... boots.html

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 pm

I bought a pair of the Sharptails last year. They are the worst boot I have ever owned..pretty much leaked from day 1. I should of returned them but delt with them all year. If there is even dew on the grass they get all wet. They are very comfortable and light though. I bought a pair of Irish Setters this year. They have been decent thus far, and not leaked at all. Not as comfortable and the Danners though. I usually wear the Irish Setters in the morning while it is wet out and switch to the Danners in the afternoon. I know others that like the Danners though and some that have had the leaking issue as well. Seems kind of hit and miss.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:
AzHusker wrote:
These are what I am wearing. http://www.danner.com/boots/hood-winter ... boots.html

5 years going strong over some of the nastiest chukar and elk country you will ever see.

My brother in law just picked himself up a pair of these. http://www.danner.com/boots/sierratm-me ... boots.html
Yep, that's the sort of boot I'm after, possibly without the Thinsulate - don't need any more heat on my feet in the places I hunt.

That design is it, though. THOSE would hold up here.

Thanks!!

JMc

Post by JMc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:32 pm

The best boot I've owned...Irish Setter Upland Hunter. I do have a pair of Irish Setter Tamaracks and they are great as well.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:40 pm

The az desert will tear up about any boot. I have been through 3 pairs of manner vanish GTX. I called danner after the 3rd pair and they sent me the pronghorns. They have lasted 2 seasons in colorado and 2 seasons of desert mule deer hunting in unit 44 and 42. Im only getting different boots because I want something more quiet.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the input and advice guys!

I ended up going to town and trying on a pair of the Danner Pronghorns.. They felt real supportive, suprisingly lightweight and felt good walking in them. The styles they had in store all had the "heel and toe cap" and I didn't like that. I wanted the brown "Camohide" one's.

I went home and ordered them off their website.. DANNER PRONGHORN GPX 8 BROWN CAMOHIDE
My lovely wife even found me a $15 coupon online and I got off with $166 and some change, Shipped. Should be here Wed or Thursday.. Just in time to wear a couple days before hitting the field Saturday for the season opener. I hope I'm as happy as my buddy is with his. He's the one who turned me on to em and swore I'd love em. I sure hope so! :D

Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:27 am

ACooper wrote:
V-John wrote:

Just got back from North Dakota I wore these boots everyday, they are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I slogged through snow and cattail slews all over North Dakota three days in a row never a leak and never a let down. I have no issues with insoles or anything else so far. Light weight plenty of support and the biggest difference is when I got done hunting my feet didnt feel like I had just walked all day.

My only gripe is they could use a little more cleat when trying to get up step hills with snow on it. But in that situation most boots could use a little more cleat.

BTW you will probably have to wait till next year to buy a pair, I emailed Bean about them because I liked them so much I was going to buy my dad a pair but I was told they are out of stock until possibly as late as June 2011.
That is fantastic! I'm thinking about picking up a pair next summer, I wonder if you can preorder?

Thanks for the update!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:54 pm

If you are going to Gander Mountain, see if they have the Irish setter, Elk country 12" high, or something like that, I have a pair of those and they are the best boot I have ever owned. I got mine some 5 years ago and lasted till this year. One is still okay but the other finally wore a hole at the crease of the toe and foot, but took a while for it to leak through on my last hunt. Probably would have lasted longer if I had treated them right. But up till this year both feet stayed dry and warm in any weather. Got the 200 gram boots for padding.

Oh and they were comfortable right in the store right till today. Never had that break in period.

Then they were $159.00 Should have bought two sets.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Got my Danner's this morning. They were on my front porch by 10'oclock and on my feet by 10:10! I think im gona love em. SOOOOO light, VERY supportive.. I think I had a footgasm. :lol: :oops:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am

I got a pair of those same Danners for my birthday back in August. It's only been a few months but they've been great so far.They are the first decent pair of boots I've ever owned, can't believe how much of a difference a good pair of boots makes. Not sure how I went all these years with poor boots.

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I've been wearing Danner boots for 15 years. They don't make them like they used to,but they are still the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I have a pair of the Pronghorn Insulated boots and have been wearing them a lot over the last 3 winters. They keep my feet warm, dry and never really required a break in period. I bought a pair of the unisulated Pronghorns and wore them two years and then they started leaking. I was not happy with that, but took the plunge on another pair this last fall. They have a better toe and I will try to take better care of them this time. I put a lot of miles of them this past hunting season and they held up great. Again, these boots never required a break in period. Danner makes a great boot.
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven