E-Collar Help

Georgia Hunter

E-Collar Help

Post by Georgia Hunter » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 am

I've never used an e-collar to train a dog but I think it would help with my dogs training. He is fairly well trained but I think an e-collar would help enforce stuff better and help him be trained better. Anyways I'm looking at 2 different brands of e-collars and wanted yalls opinions on them. I've been looking at SportDog and Dogtra for use on a 70 pound chocolate lab. Sometimes he can be stubborn and other times he's not. I dont use him for hunting cause I dont have anywhere to duck hunt for the time being but I would use the collar for yard and house training and maybe at some point hunting training. Which brand is best for training dogs? And out of those brands which collar? I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg. I know the more you pay the better quality you will get but whats the cheapest collar I can get that would still work well? It doesnt have to reach out like a mile or anything. Any info on collars would be great. Thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: E-Collar Help

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 am

if price is a major factor also look at the tri tronic sport basic Mine has out lasted 2 sportdog collars
side by side with SD the Sd only worked in truth about 20 feet further
and yes the transmitter takes a 9 volt battery get a good quality one it will last about a year with a lot of use
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 am

Dogtra %100. Never had a problem with em.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:56 pm

I have a question about the Dogtra collars. Some say low/medium and low/high for the output levels. Does the low/high do all the same levels of stimulation as the low/medium and more?

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:28 am

Does the low/high do all the same levels of stimulation as the low/medium and more?
YES

NA

Post by NA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:59 am

Go with the Dogtra, you won't regret it.

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Is there a certain Dogtra model thats best? I dont want to buy the most expensive one unless I absolutely have to, you know?

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

I would suggest the 1900 Field Star. More than enough power, durable, reliable and relatively inexpensive.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:29 pm

I have been through several different brands of e-collars in the last 8 years and I finally went to the Tritronics Pro 100 G3. Even though they cost a slight bit more I highly encourage anyone who has asked me to use a TT. I have had issues with both SportDog and before that Innotech collars.
After burning through both of these brands I am wishing I had just spent the money on the Tritronics in the first place and not had to learn this the hard way.

André
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Georgia Hunter wrote:I've never used an e-collar to train a dog but I think it would help with my dogs training. He is fairly well trained but I think an e-collar would help enforce stuff better and help him be trained better. Anyways I'm looking at 2 different brands of e-collars and wanted yalls opinions on them. I've been looking at SportDog and Dogtra for use on a 70 pound chocolate lab. Sometimes he can be stubborn and other times he's not. I dont use him for hunting cause I dont have anywhere to duck hunt for the time being but I would use the collar for yard and house training and maybe at some point hunting training. Which brand is best for training dogs? And out of those brands which collar? I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg. I know the more you pay the better quality you will get but whats the cheapest collar I can get that would still work well? It doesnt have to reach out like a mile or anything. Any info on collars would be great. Thanks
LL Bean carries both. Buy it from LL Bean. 100% GTD.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 am

Georgia Hunter,
The 1900 is a good choice however the best Dogtra Collars are the 2000-2002 Train and Beep. I suggest you take a look at them. The newer 2500 modles are not the same. If you can find a used 2000-2002 Dogtra T&B they are the most reliable collars on the market. I am right now testing the new DT System T&B H20 Collar, with a little tweeking they look to be a good T&B Collar also. Both the Dogtra and the DT Systems T&B Collars are not cheap.
RGD/Dave