doggy vests

labman21

doggy vests

Post by labman21 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 am

I"m from Montana and I love to hunt ducks. It gets really cold up here so I bought my two dogs a vest, they're similar in size so one would do the trick. I went to Wholesale Sports to take a look at the vests. I was looking for a 34" or 35" chest size. The largest I found was 33". This was the 2XL, I have some fairly big dogs but I don't think of them as 2XL sized hounds. But anyway I bought the 33" vest just to see how it fit them, it's a little snug but the dogs don't mind. The vest has worked out very well but I'm thinking that Avery needs to come out with a big and tall vest line.

And the booties, I couldn't fit the biggest size one the tip of my dogs tail :lol:. This sounds like a complaint but it really isn't I'm just surprised at the sizes of these vests and other dog accesories.
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

anb

Re: doggy vests

Post by anb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 am

I got my dogs vest from Cabela's. I have a 60-lb GSP, she fits inbto the L but if she gets any bigger I think we will have to go to the bigger size. They work great. We got one armor flex and one with the armor flex and floatation. Keeps them much warmer in the water - we use them hunting in the winter too. She has still managed to poke some big holes in it - better in the vest than through her ribs though!!
Recently got some booties from Ruffwear - the polar trex ones. We got the size L but they are WAY too big for her little feet. Seems like the back feet will be at least a size smaller than the front. Will be exchanging them after the holiday. They dont get much traction on the ice, but are great in the snow!
Another tool that is great for getting extra exercise ( not while hunting of course) is a back pack! Every dog I have had has loved it!!!
Sorry, just my 2cents on gear

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:26 am

When you look at the size and build of many of the Labs today it doesn't surprise me at all. Many of them must be twice the chest and foot size that good field bred dogs were a few years ago. Look at Dave C's dog Fern to see what labs used to look like. And it has happened in many breeds and am sure many of the accessories that were made a few years ago are no longer the right size.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:50 pm

labman21 wrote:Avery needs to come out with a big and tall vest line.
Yeah, Avery finally makes a 3XL now.. I'm an Avery Dealer, and I have found their vests to run much smaller than the Cabelas line of Neoprene dog parkas.

My previous lab "Drake" a bohemouth (not fat either) 125 pound Chocolate, that stood almost 28" at the shoulders had to have a Modified Cabelas 3XL Neoprene Parka. His last season I had him, I had purchased him the new top of the line Cabelas 3XL with the 5 mil neoprene and floatation pockets. I tried to put it on him and Idunno if it was the different style or what, but it definately ran WAY smaller. It was like trying to fit Oprah Winfrey in one of Jennifer Aniston's Dresses. :lol:

Godspeed, Drake.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Dakota Swede

Post by Dakota Swede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Oprah into Jennifer's dress? I'm still trying to process that!
Teacher / Coach / Pheasant Guide and Hunter

Most people are about as happy as they want to be - a Quote by Abraham Lincoln

http://www.SkoglundFarm.com

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Dakota Swede wrote:Oprah into Jennifer's dress? I'm still trying to process that!
Yessir... It's alot to wrap your mind around. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

thelast2

Post by thelast2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:00 pm

I bought one of averys XL boater parka's for my 80# yellow lab male it is a snug fit but thinking that it probably keeps the dog warmer that way, had to cut the leg holes out a bit to keep from chaffing other than that, working well so far.
Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY'
SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
JR'S THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE[/color]

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Doesn't suprise me. The standard (AKC) for a lab is 65-80lb for the males. They are supposed to be a medium sized breed. The new "massive" sized dogs are a trend and I'm sure Avery will be all over it to outfit these dogs. Personally, I don't see any benefit to a "huge" retriever. They'd just sink your layout boat. Our chessie is oversized at about 90lbs when the breed standard only goes to 70lbs for the bitches. It's a pain to get her in and out of the layout boat and she takes up a lot of room in the blind. Hopefully our next retriever will be normal sized!!! Super-sized dogs... the new trend.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm an avid duck hunter and live in Minnesota so I see a lot of cold weather. I've always hunted with labs, I just don't get the whole doggy vest thing. I guess you could convince me for some breeds, later in the season. When I go out on opening weekend during nice weather I see labs dressed in dog vests and I think there needs to be a reality check on this. I guess its more about fashion than function.

thelast2

Post by thelast2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Super-sized dogs... the new trend.

Yeah seeing more and more Labs over 100#, results of some different thinking when it comes to breeding I guess. Not sure why you would want a heavier lab as the are already predispositioned to having hip troubles.
I guess its more about fashion than function.
With some folks this may be true, I myself think about breaking thru ice on the frozen ponds in october and the damage done to a dog without a vest on doesnt seem like something I want to take part in, The vest if fitted properly will in fact trap the dogs heat in, which in turn will prolong them from becoming hyperthermic. Have seen many dogs with the vests on being saved a trip to the vet after blowing through barbed wire fences in pursuit of birds sailing off and heard of many cases where even corn stalks, tear up dogs without vests on. Guess its personal preference but I would rather replace a vest after every hunting trip, if I had to, rather than go to the vet.
Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY'
SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
JR'S THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE[/color]