Small digital camera

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Small digital camera

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm

This is posted from recognizing my own mistake...and hoping others will be wiser than I.
Needing a small digital camera for hunting trips I bought a Panasonic Lumix FH-20...a top and well-reviewed compact digital in many respects.
Worked fine carried in my pocket in home coverts, PA or in the U.P. but Kansas revealed the mistake.
Fine dust is the camera's nemisis...I know, my fault, but the Stylus carried before handled my carry method with no issues over several years.
The dust effectively sand-hitched the FH-20 lens movement after 4 days.
Repair is close to value so...new camera is in the cards.
Likely an Olympus 8010 or a Lumix TS2...amybe the Casio.
If looking for a field camera, no matter the carry method...I suggest giving more thought to dust than I did.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Small digital camera

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:00 pm

My sony cybershot has been to hades and back....dust , dirt, moisture, falling off the roof of a full size pickup onto blacktop.

Its taken it all in stride.

That said I did just buy a Lumix FZ40 but it will only make limited trips to the field.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:16 am

I'm in the same boat and am trying to decide on what to buy.
Here are a few that I've come across and I would love to hear other's opinions.
Pentax W90
Casio Exilim EX-G1
Online reviews seem good on both. Any thoughts????

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:20 am

I have the Olympus and LOVE it! Never a problem with it getting damp or outright wet, shock resistant, versatile. Great little point and shoot cam.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am

I have been happy with my Canon sureshot SX210 It is a bit bigger then your conventional pocket cameras and has the features of their bigger one

It has lasted me 3 years of banging around in my fanny packs on deer hunts to dumped in my game bag for training ..the motor for the lens is finally starting sound louder so I am looking to replace with the newer model of the same version
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Arrowsic

Post by Arrowsic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm

I have an olympus stylus 850 sw,it is shock proof to 5or6feet,waterproof to 10feet and freezeproof to 17degrees.8.0 megapixels .Paid about $140.00 for it 3years ago.There are newer models .I like it and its had some rough treatment,even took underwater pictures of trout I was landing. Herb

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 pm

windswept wrote:I'm in the same boat and am trying to decide on what to buy.
Pentax W90
Casio Exilim EX-G1

Casio EG has the best price in an all-weather.
I do like the controls of the Panasonic TS2 from my experience with the FH-20.

Probably best to wait untill Spring if possible...new models often come out in March or April and replaced models, still tops, may see a price drop.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
windswept wrote:I'm in the same boat and am trying to decide on what to buy.
Pentax W90
Casio Exilim EX-G1

Casio EG has the best price in an all-weather.
I do like the controls of the Panasonic TS2 from my experience with the FH-20.

Probably best to wait untill Spring if possible...new models often come out in March or April and replaced models, still tops, may see a price drop.
Actually I just ordered the Panasonic TS2. Sounds like exactly what I need.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Good choice...I'm going to wait a few months....but will likely spring the same direction.

r nickell

Post by r nickell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 am

Anybody had any experience with the Kodak Playsport ? Saw a commerical on it the other day and if looked interesting does both video and 5 mp still shots, waterproof to 10 feet, and suppost to take falls up to 4 ft. Been thinking about getting one with the remote feature could be fun for deer hunting as well as carring in the field on bird hunts. But of course everything looks great in the commerials LOL.
W.W.T.G.D.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 am

Most of these combo still/video units have really bad low light performance. If you live in a place where it is cloudy more often than not you will be disapointed.

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 am

r nickell wrote:Anybody had any experience with the Kodak Playsport ?
If I remember right that one has no zoom feature which would be a deal breaker for me.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:11 am

I like carrying a small video camera when out with the dogs. It takes still shots and carries well. Even better, it allows me to take video of the dogs at work. Oh, it's a Sony.

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a 12 meg kodak digital that takes decent pictures but then again so did my fuju 3.1 meg. I had a cheap base model flip video with 30 min record time, that thing was great. It wasnt that it was the best vids, it was that it was so handy to have and the quality was as good as a 300 sony or panasonic recorder. I had to many cocktails and jumped in the river with it in my pocket. The new playsport that isnt quite available yet is on my list. Even better vid quality and adds dust resistant, shock and and water proof. It retails for 179 but will prob sell for bout 150. You can buy the present version playsport which is basicly the same without the new dust and shock resistant rating for around 100. They are really nice little recorders for the money, for putting clips on you tube and such.

Jerry