Kindle Reading Device

bossman

Kindle Reading Device

Post by bossman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Has anyone tried a Kindle from Amazon. If so, what are your opinions?

northern cajun

Re: Kindle Reading Device

Post by northern cajun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

If you like to read and are not the kind that likes to hold a real book, then its great!
My niece and sisters have them and just love them.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks..Great looking dog!

gdog

Post by gdog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 pm

The kindle is pretty nice and easy to use. Is not back lit, so reading in dim light can be challenging. I believe you are limited to Amazon downloads. We also have an Ipad with an app that I can download all my Amazon Kindle books on the Ipad, plus all the new books coming on line through itunes. I think I'd make sure to be able to get a reader that has the ability to download or use books from more then one source.

Just my $.02's...

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 am

I think that as a dedicated reader the Kobo is the top of the market right in terms of ease of use, flexibility in formats, availability of titles, size and battery over the Kindle or Sony. The iPad has more flexibility in terms of uses but the screen can be more tiring on the eyes in long term reading.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am

I got a Kindle for Christmas and love it. Very easy to read, gobs of memory. The battery lasts 2-3 weeks with no problem, so battery life really isn't an issue, but I doubt it's an issue for any e-reader with similar technology. The display is fantastic, 10 times easier to read than a PC monitor.

You can put your own files on the Kindle. Even music and audiobooks, although I've yet to do either. I have loaded a pdf onto mine and it was pretty easy. You can either hook the Kindle to your PC and download via USB, or you can actually email it and the Kindle will get it wirelessly. Very easy; you send the file to an email address that Amazon assigns you, (ie, phermes1@kindle.com) and that's that.

Amazon also recently started allowing books to be shared for 14 days at a time. I think their terms match what Barnes and Noble has for the Nook.

My Kindle is wi-fi only; I haven't really had the need for 3g. I have a wireless router at home, so any daily updates I get are automatically downloaded every night. Plus, if I'm out and about, it's amazing how many open wireless networks there are out there that you can hook up to in order to download, (Starbucks, many restaurants, most hotels, etc)

I also got a very cool cover for mine. It helps protect the display, plus it has a built-in light that is powered by the Kindle itself. Definitely a must if you ever plan on reading in low light.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:01 pm

I had considered one for my older son who goes through a book in about four days, but and told its just as cheap to buy the books. I'm told the books on the kindle are running $8 to $9 a book, is that the case?

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:28 pm

I think the "Kindle" books may be slightly cheaper than the regular book. I think the device is mainly for convenience. I was on a plane last weekend coming home from San Antonio. Sat next to a couple that each had one and they just went on and on talking about how much they liked them.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 pm

The Kindle is a great product. Very easy on the eyes to read and you can inlarge the type face too. Great for us older guys/gals. If you like magazines and want color look into the Nook Color at Barnes & Noble. Very nice too but $100 more. Only the NY Bestsellers are $9.99 to down load. Many books are much less money.