Women's boots

treedaddy

Women's boots

Post by treedaddy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 pm

My wife is planning on going with me to South Dakota next November. She won't be hunting, but will be walking and taking pictures. Probably will not walk in any sloughs, but I think she still needs waterproof boots and some insulation. I don't want to spend a lot as she probably won't use them much. I have looked at the lady's Irish setter boots, a little pricey. She will need some support to walk CRP and corn fields. 400-800 Thinsulate should be enough in November. I usually hunt with uninsulated Lacrosse Grange, but she might need more. Any suggestions? I may wait for some summer discounts at Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Nhuskr

Re: Women's boots

Post by Nhuskr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 pm

This is the boot I own and wear all winter, even late season. It's waterproof and plenty warm enough. I did have to purchase different insoles for my high arch, but they've been great. I should mention I've had them for approx 3 years, possibly 4.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104383980

That has to be the longest url I've ever seen. :roll: :lol:

Cheryl

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:32 pm

If your going early in the season don't worry about insulation, it gets cold at night but you can't hunt till noon (first 2 weeks). I have some lightly insulate boots, 200 mil, and that to much till later in the season. I would recommend water proof but that a year to year thing, I know a few die hard pheasant hunters who use tennis shoes on the dry years.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:16 pm

treedaddy wrote:My wife is planning on going with me to South Dakota next November. She won't be hunting, but will be walking and taking pictures. Probably will not walk in any sloughs, but I think she still needs waterproof boots and some insulation. I don't want to spend a lot as she probably won't use them much. I have looked at the lady's Irish setter boots, a little pricey. She will need some support to walk CRP and corn fields. 400-800 Thinsulate should be enough in November. I usually hunt with uninsulated Lacrosse Grange, but she might need more. Any suggestions? I may wait for some summer discounts at Bass Pro or Cabelas.
I have been using Muckboots, which we bought from their outlet store. Their prices are fairly reasonable... I think I paid around $67 for a pair with a good, solid tread (I think it may have been the chore boot). They were really great about exchanging them for the correct size, and didn't even make me wait until they received "the wrong pair".

FYI, I'm not handling the dog, my husband is... and I still manage to need them for taking pictures, setting up backing dog silhouettes, etc.

DO NOT go the Walmart route. They are crappy made-in-China things that can be punctured very easily for a nasty, wet, walk.

Bonne chance,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 pm

My wife got a pair of Irish Setters that have a little bit of insulation. She hunted in them in SD in Sept, and IN in November. She will wear heavy socks when I wouldn't even dream of wearing them, but she gets out there and covers the miles without complaining. They might cost a little bit more but what are you going to do if she decides she really enjoys it. Also how comfortable her boots are could make the difference in whether she has a good time or not. These are very similar to what my wife has.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/irishse ... ed-leather

treedaddy

Post by treedaddy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 am

I was looking at those for my wife. Cabelas has the 1000 gram camo Lady hawk boots for $79 right now. May get them.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:19 am

Keep in mind that the average temp in Oct. is going to be 50 degrees. 1000 grams I think would be way to much unless your hunting in Dec. Cabelas has a great return policy, great company.

treedaddy

Post by treedaddy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:18 pm

We will go the 2nd or 3rd week in November. In the past it has averaged about mid 40's highs, lows upper 20's.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm

That's a good time of year to go, I wish you luck.

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 pm

SubMariner wrote:
treedaddy wrote:My wife is planning on going with me to South Dakota next November. She won't be hunting, but will be walking and taking pictures. Probably will not walk in any sloughs, but I think she still needs waterproof boots and some insulation. I don't want to spend a lot as she probably won't use them much. I have looked at the lady's Irish setter boots, a little pricey. She will need some support to walk CRP and corn fields. 400-800 Thinsulate should be enough in November. I usually hunt with uninsulated Lacrosse Grange, but she might need more. Any suggestions? I may wait for some summer discounts at Bass Pro or Cabelas.
I have been using Muckboots, which we bought from their outlet store. Their prices are fairly reasonable... I think I paid around $67 for a pair with a good, solid tread (I think it may have been the chore boot). They were really great about exchanging them for the correct size, and didn't even make me wait until they received "the wrong pair".

FYI, I'm not handling the dog, my husband is... and I still manage to need them for taking pictures, setting up backing dog silhouettes, etc.

DO NOT go the Walmart route. They are crappy made-in-China things that can be punctured very easily for a nasty, wet, walk.

Bonne chance,

I am a female hunter and I have been using muckboots, and I love them! I highly recommend them! I am from Michigan and I use them all year round. Great boots! plus it is nice not having to worry about laces coming untied, ect...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

I love my Danner boots. I've tried Rockies in the past, don't like them, Irish Setter, didn't like them either. But I love my Danners. I do buy insulated 'cuz my feet get cold.

I would HIGHLY suggest you buy them ahead of time and she wears them for a few weeks just to be sure you've got a good fit. That way, she can send them back if not - and break the new ones in. I am going to try a pair of muckboots myself, for cleaning kennels, etc. But I love my Danners for the comfort - and they are extremely tough. This current pair is 3 years old and not slowing down. And I hunt quite a bit during the season.

Sometimes you can find better deals in the mens department because the sizes are so much smaller for a woman.... ie, I wear a 7 or a 7 1/2 in mens - there are always clearance boots in that size in mens, because most men wear 10 - 11's.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:38 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:My wife got a pair of Irish Setters that have a little bit of insulation. She hunted in them in SD in Sept, and IN in November. She will wear heavy socks when I wouldn't even dream of wearing them, but she gets out there and covers the miles without complaining. They might cost a little bit more but what are you going to do if she decides she really enjoys it. Also how comfortable her boots are could make the difference in whether she has a good time or not. These are very similar to what my wife has.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/irishse ... ed-leather
I have the exact same pair of boots in the link. Seems like I paid $75-$100 during a sale at Scheels. Very comfortable and I use them year round. Really, really, really liked them...but they lasted me one year before they started leaking. Cracks started in the crease area where your foot flexes, in the leather right behind the black toe guard--and I'm guessing those cracks go deeper. I still wear them from time to time, as they're hard to part with, but now it's with grocery sacks over my socks. :lol:

Then I bought a pair of LaCrosse "Brawny" 800 gram Hyper Dri waterproof mens boots on $35 clearance at my local farmstore. That was about 2/3 off, but I got what I paid for. I wore them 2x and they started leaking. :x Very disappointing, and I never imagined I would have that problem that fast. I spray siliconed them heavily the other day, and hope that will help some, but have a feeling I'll be looking for a new pair of boots soon. :cry:

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I really like Muck boots as well. I also have 2 pairs of Danners; one Pronghorn with 1000g and one Yosemite with 800g. Both of the Danners are waterproof unless you go over the top of the boot. I packed out an elk for 4 miles with them soaked from doing this and they were still comfy. Good luck!

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I got my wife a pair of Irish Setters just like above & she loves them, less than $100 & quality boots. IMO