Dog Box or Dog Kennels for Tacoma Truck

toby0987

Dog Box or Dog Kennels for Tacoma Truck

Post by toby0987 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and was looking for advice. I have a 2007 Crew Cab Toyota Short-Box. Right now my labs sit in the truck with me, but I am having a baby in a few months so I am looking to move them to the back. I am looking for a truck box/kennel for the back of my truck. I am looking for something that is going to be cool in the summer and warm in winter. Ultimately I would like a climate controlled box with airconditioning and heat in the winter. I realize this may not possible, but that is what I am looking for. I have a 100 watt plug in in the back of my truck so I figure I could run a power cord there. I am looking for a commerically built dog box for the 2 labs I have-10 year old and 4 year old. I like the box so I can take them when I go to the park, but could leave them in there comfortably while I stop at the grocery store for a 1/2 hour or travel on vacation with them and leave them in their kennel in the truck overnight while we stay at a non-dog motel. I live in Iowa so it gets cold in the winter (single digits below 0) and mid to high 90s and humid in the summer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I looked at www.fiber-pro.com with a fan as well as www.ainleykennels.com and www.mtck.com. They look like good kennels but wasn't sure what else is out there if anything is better, which you guys recommend. Do you think the white 3/16" fiberglass would be a better insulator from the cold the heat then an aluminum box with 1 1/2 inch or 2" owens corning pink board insulation? My main concern is them getting too hot. All the boxes have pusher and puller fans that flow 1000 cu feet a minute and they will have water as well. Thanks

JMc

Re: Dog Box or Dog Kennels for Tacoma Truck

Post by JMc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Stay away from the fiberglass...check out Patriot Dog Boxes at http://www.patriotdogboxes.com/. I have sold one of my boxes and have another one on the market and will order the Patriot when the funds get here. Make sure and check out their video.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I second the patriot boxes a friend has one, I think it about 11 years old and in perfect condition, fully insulated. I don't think your going to need a heater in a fully insulated dog box, the dogs temp. alone should heat it well enough. Look back in General Chat under the heading "To insulate or not to insulate that is the ???" Someone did temp. reading in their boxes and the difference with the fan was only 1 degree.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

The only problem you might have is what I did with my 07 taco (4 door) the bed is not wide enough due to the wheel wells popping up in the bed right after the cab.... I had to place my box all the way against the tail gate. Then drilled holes in the bed to mount it with .5" bolts.... I had plates made for the sides to cut down on the turbulent wind inside the box that only covered half the holes.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 pm

I have a 3 hole Diamond de-lux box in my 4 door 06 Tacoma and it can slide all the way back in between the wheel wheels with no problem and the indivdual kennels are big enough to fit 2 dogs(well 2 brittanys) per kennel with no problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GSP45

Post by GSP45 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:33 am

I've been looking at aluminum boxes as well, specifically the crossover style (looks like a tool box but has the dog boxes below). I'm really thinking about purchasing a Unique brand (http://www.uniquetruckaccessories.com/dogboxes.htm).

Anybody had any experiences with this brand?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 am

I just picked up a houndsman Deluxe yesterday, and am stoked about the quality, I had Mullins, and a few others including some home made boxes over the years running hounds and this one is the nicest ive had yet. it has top storage, sliding vents on the side and it came with slide in aluminum, plates that cover the doors. I will have a set of clear lexan plate made for the doors also so that i can use a hole saw and cut some holes in it for when I want a little bit of air flow. This box is also insulated. They will custom build you a box to your sixe specifications, I had mine cut to 36 in deep rather than the standard 46in, which freed me up some bed space and my 65lb GSP fitst in it fine.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 am

GSP45 wrote:I've been looking at aluminum boxes as well, specifically the crossover style (looks like a tool box but has the dog boxes below). I'm really thinking about purchasing a Unique brand (http://www.uniquetruckaccessories.com/dogboxes.htm).

Anybody had any experiences with this brand?

i had a buddy that ran beagle and had one of the boxes that looked like a truck tool box with the dog box under it and it was a pain in the "bleep" because with it set all the way against the front of the bed it was hard to get to it sometimes to wrestle dogs in and out.... just a thought.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:16 am

Hands down Mountain Top and Ainley are the best you can buy. If you can afford one, do it. My MTCK was the best purchase I have ever made