TT Flyaway, Trashbreaker or Pro 100?

suzdaug

TT Flyaway, Trashbreaker or Pro 100?

Post by suzdaug » Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 pm

I know, I know, another newbie asking about ecollars. Here we go:

I have a 3.5 yo Black Lab with a strong urge to flush ducks and geese from the pond (which is fine!) but once he is on missile lock he has no recall. He just takes off (comes back eventually) and I'm worried that he will get hit by a car. On leash he is great but off leash he gets on a scent or spots fowl and is so busy working the scent that I don't exist no matter how loud I whistle, shout his name or 'HERE' so....

I know that I want a Tri-Tronics and have been looking at Collar Clinic refurbished units to save some money. People have suggested the Flyaway, Trashbreaker and Pro 100. I definitely want at least a 1 mile range because let's be honest, he moves fast. I also want an EXP unit because I have a 6 month puppy and want the option to expand just in case. So here's the main difference I see:

Flyaway:
18 Levels of Momentary (6 levels of each: low, medium, high)
6 Levels of Continuous
no tone
1 mile range

Trashbreaker:
18 Levels of Continuous
tone
2 mile range

Pro 100:
18 Levels of Continuous (6 levels of each: low, medium, high)
6 Levels of Momentary
tone
1 mile range

Is it easier to have a large Continuous mode variety and just pulse the button to make it Momentary? Also, how many of you actually use the tone feature?

I see older units on eBay (dare I say older units were built better?) but assume they are not expandable.

So what do you think? And - do any of you have one of these fine units for sale or know where I can find a great deal?

Thanks y'all!

Suzanne

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: TT Flyaway, Trashbreaker or Pro 100?

Post by kninebirddog » Sun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm

I like my Pro 100 and yes press and hold fr what you need you have 18 levels of continuous press and release you have 18 levels of momentary the 500 that added toggle switch gets in my way I like to control what I need when i need it with my fingers and the Pro 100 allows me to do that with out having to move my fingers to much exceot if i need to change levels

trashbreaker has higher levels of stimulation thus why they call it a trashbreaker
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am

I have the Pro 100 and love it .. had some Sportdog but prefer TT.. With the pro 100 everything is up to you .. You can use the continuous button also like momentary just a quick nick and there you go... The MEd high and low are really effective you can choose how much of stim.. you put on your dog without even check the remote .
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon May 30, 2011 3:40 pm

I have the Flyway Special and it works well for me since I train a lot with the nick feature.

When the dog ignoring a command, I will use the nick to get their attention. If it is being just a bit thickheaded, as in ignoring the nick, i quickly go back and forth on the two momentary buttons delivering a series of 1/3 and 2/3 level nicks. That very often gets the dog's attention without ramping up the stimulation level.

I would suspect that for strictly getting the dog to mind, a unit with continuous, such as the Trashbreaker is all you need. If you are going to use the unit in the future as a training tool, then I sugest you get the Pro 100 if you intend to use mostly continuous stim and the Flyway Special or the Pro 200 if you intend to use mostly momentary stim.

I have never needed the tone feature and don't know anyone who uses it.

As far as the range, just be aware that the advertised ranges are under ideal conditions
and in heavy cover or hilly terrain, the actual range may be somewhat less. However, even a half mile is a very loooooong way and probably much more than you will need.

Asd far as expandability, I personally have very little use for multi-dog units. I have enough trouble keeping track of one dog at a time when I am training. If i had two or more dogs hooked up to the same transmitter, I can guarantee that I would occasionally shock the wrong dog. I guess i don't multi-task as well as some folks. :lol: :lol:

Hope some of this helps you decide.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:06 am

I like the pro 100. The nice part about the expandable feature is that you can always have two collars with you. If one goes bad, you have a spare while the other one is in for repair. It is rarely the transformer that ever goes bad, usually the collar.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.