Opinion on Sportdog collar?

Mollyontherun

Opinion on Sportdog collar?

Post by Mollyontherun » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:39 am

Any opinions about the SportDog FieldTrainer 400? We're thinking of getting this unit for duck hunting with our GSP-
SD400CC.jpg
Also... if we purchased this item we would consider adding the beeper. Anyone have an opinion on the add on beeper-
beeper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

compasscreek

Re: Opinion on Sportdog collar?

Post by compasscreek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Maybe I got a bad one, but I would say DO NOT BUY THE SPORTDOG 400! The range on it is inaccurate and for the money you can get a better result with a Tritronics unit. I just bought a Tritronics G3 Sport Basic and have had tremendously positive results with it in just the few days we have trained with it. We are on 20 acres and the SportDog wouldn't evn go out 100 ft., the Tritronics covers the entire 20 acres plus AND I don't have to "zap" the dogs as hard as I had to to get a response. Save another $100 and shop for a tritronics unit.
"We did not inherit the Earth from our parents,
We are borrowing it from our children"

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Molly-

In my opinion I would get the new SportDOG SD-1225 SportHunter.. It is the near the same price as the TT Sport basic G3 (actually I sell it for $5 less than the TT Sport Basic) and the 1225 is FAR superior, IMO.

I have sold a few of these 1225 units and everyone I have checked back with loves them. Just some food for thought. The SD-400 is a cheap collar for entry level training and handling, and most get along just fine with it. I ran a 400 for several years. I still have a SD-400S 3 dog unit.

I really like the SD-1225 though. Especially the new docking station that quick charges the unit in only 2 hours. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:42 pm

my opinion I would get the new SportDOG SD-1225 SportHunter
Thanks for the input! The 1225 has superb versatility.

I've read a lot of reviews on the 400 and the 1225. When they work- people love them! However, it seems like these collars are hit and miss. I'm constantly reading reviews of Sportdog collars breaking, strop working, battery life inconsistent.

The two year warranty is reassuring.

john36350

Post by john36350 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 pm

I have 2 of these and haven't had any problems out of either unit. We have even done some training in the pond. I have only had it for about 6 months so I guess time will tell on the durability issue. I'm no pro trainer either so my e-collars don't really get any extreme use. Tri tronics collars are nice but you're gonna pay for em. LOL just read a review while writing this that a guy's tri tronics g3 collar failed after going in the water on his 3rd outing. Also I don't think the tri tronics unit of comparable price is expandable. All just my honest opinion :-) Good luck with which ever one you choose and let us know how it's workin out for you!