Upland Hunting Coats - Recommendations?

Retiredbirddogman

Upland Hunting Coats - Recommendations?

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

75% used in the South East and 25% in Iowa / South Dakota.
Have used a Carhart coat with a vest over the top for years, but thought it might be nice to just have a coat.
What have you found to be successful for Quail, Pheasant, hunting. Also might mix in some Grouse and Woodcock hunting this year.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Upland Hunting Coats - Recommendations?

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 pm

A coat is a coat as far as I can tell. Most are too warm for the average day but are nice on the real cold ones. So I use a vest almost exclusively. My only requirement any more is it be a front loader.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Hate wearing a coat in the field. Most seem to cumbersome. I layer until I'm comfortable and wear a Buck's Bags strap vest over.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:44 pm

One thing we have here in the mid-atlantic area is lots of burrs and beggar's ticks. Waxed cotton/canvas is the only way to go. I bought a Filson field jacket last year, but I've lost about 50 pounds so it's too big for me now (It's 2XL) - I paid $260 for the thing and I only wore it once. I also have a Filson vest, and have found that to be the most flexible option for hunting everywhere I've been in the Northeast and New England. The waxed cotton gets hot in the summer and will make your back sweaty, so my wife got a Filson mesh game vest for my birthday last year to use for training in the off season. I still use my regular hunting vest in the summer, but the mesh vest is much cooler in warm weather.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 pm

I also have a Filson field jacket that I love. I work outside a lot and actually bought if for that purpose but have used it for hunting, getting wood, camping... whatever. Spendy but it has held up great over the years and great for layering.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 pm

When its cold or raining I go with the Columbia Ptarmigan X shell, it keeps me bone dry in the wettest conditions, and is great for stopping the wind. I layer clothes underneath it if I have to. Pockets and everything are just right for me. Mine is the old model this is the new one.
http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Ptarmig ... lt,pd.html

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 am

Layers, a Carhartt when it's real cold, and a hunting vest here.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm

If you wear a large I am selling my Woolrich Field coat for 60 bucks. It is almost brand new but it is redundant in my closet.

MTR

Post by MTR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I wear a Boyt wind/waterproof pullover similar to this one: http://www.boytharness.com/inventoryD.a ... 6151C3C4C7}

I use a strap vest over the top. If/when I get hot, the pullover comes off and in the vest it goes until I may need it later in the day.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 am

Siskiyou Blues wrote:If you wear a large I am selling my Woolrich Field coat for 60 bucks. It is almost brand new but it is redundant in my closet.
Any pics? I may be interested.

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 am

Filson oil upland jacket. I can not wear the wool collars that is standard-scratches the heck out of my neck. I had them put the mole skin material on the collar about 20 years ago and now that has become a regular option for their coats. Check ebay or local sporting good stores-lots of folks do not buy Filson and you can usually get a great deal. I have sent coats back to the factory and they put the moleskin on for free or a 10 bucks. I have about 5 filson jackets for varying uses. Warm/dry/durable and carry what you need if you get the configuration/pockets you want-last a lifetime. Warm weather I use a filson upland vest.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:12 pm

In SC we seldom use hunting coats except on really very very cold days which is seldom. I like Cabelas 8 in 1 coat as it has a liner for the coldest days and it can be taken out if necessary. I use the liner under a vest alot of times. It is not heavy and has everything you need. It is not waterproof though. If you are in any wet conditions I would find one that is waterproof.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I used to wear Filson Waxed coat but traded it in on an L.L. Bean version. The Filson was just so stiff and wasn't ever going to be flexible enough for me. The LL Bean is not as thick of coton duck but it stops briars just as well, has a front loading game bag and is cut a little more generously to offer better movement than the Filson. It won't last as long but it's only a $100. Comes in waxed but for warmer I would get the non-waxed version.