Sportdog collars? vs TT collars

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Sportdog collars? vs TT collars

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

For those who have and use sportdog, how is the duribility? also Is the range reliable?
I have a TT, and might trade-up, but can get more features and range from the sportdog for the same price.

TT field and pro models, how is the duribilty and range?
If any body uses the hound model of either or hunts in heavy cover, how does your range hold up?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Sportdog collars? vs TT collars

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:30 pm

I can tell you my field model TT works at long ranges, as i found out yesterday at 700 yards on the garmin....durability is good as long as you don't beat the transmitter to death....The new antenna design on the G3's looks like it will hold up better than the older G2 antenna which i broke last month.

Ive used a sportdog but not at range so i can't comment really on range or long term durability.

I personally wouldn't even consider a sportdog over the TT but thats just me....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:41 pm

I've had good luck with TT never had a SD. Since you mentioned the TT Pro-models I thought I would point out that the TT Flyway and the Pro 200 are identical collars, but you pay $30 extra for the pro 200.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 am

I believe there was a very good post on here recently comparing the customer service dept of these companines. If memory serves me correct the majority were in favor of TT. I myself use TT and have no desire to use anything else. Good luck, SCKWEST

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 am

I tested the SD to the TT Sport BAsic...SD only went maybe about 20 yds further.....straight line of sight

I went through a series of the SD needed to be replaced because they didn't work 20 feet new out of the box...After those and of the 10 I sold for Rick Smith coming back with same issue it was the final straw for me to go back and become a loyal TT person as my one classic 70 which was my back up Go to collar when DT Dogtra and SD failed me in the field I had no question in my mind TT was worth the extra money Made in America By Americans and even though they were merged with Garmin TT still is located and running under the same standards and beliefs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 am

See, when I bought the TT sport, I had to go thru 2 to get to the one I have now, and the one I have now is quirky at best. So I know TT has a better reputation, but I had trouble. What I need is reliable range which I do NOT get and have never had with the TT sport. (But did have with the old TT upland 11 years ago before it died) I tested my TT yesterday with my son, (ON TONE ONLY :D ) and sometimes it would not go further than 30 yards. Sometimes maybe 70 but rarely further than that. Often with clear line of site it still would not work. I can step up and get a 1 mile range collar from TT, but with the SD I can get the hound model which is 2 mile range. But I don't want a junk collar... TT sport series have not served me well, and if sport dog was equally prone to break but at least got me more range it would still be a plus...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 am

The american made is in fact a significant factor to me!
And thanks for the input all. I will say TT customer service was always great.

jforgey

Post by jforgey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 am

I have the Sportdog 1825. The main reason I chose it was the "vibrate" feature and the way it fit in my hand. I have used it for about a year now and I like it very much. I have only used it out to about 300 yds, and it worked fine there (rolling hills). I can't really testify regarding its actual working range, but Gundog Supply has a great review on this particular collar. The think I like most about it is that it is so easy to use with one hand without having to look at the transmitter. The three buttons and the intensity dial are easy to feel and control even with leather gloves. The deents on the intensity dial are solid enought that I don't have to worry about it moving on its own. The transmitter is rugged and water proof. The receiver is equally tough. I have run my dog through thickets, heavy cat tails and thick tall grass. Batteries seem to last a long time between charges. Battery indicator is great and reliable. Unit charges quickly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 pm

I have a Dogtra 2500 ( beeper and correction). Before you decide check out the warranties and how quickly you can have one repaired.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm

I use a TT Pro 500 for training and hunting top notch units no problems.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN