Badlands Bird Vest Review

Cooper

Badlands Bird Vest Review

Post by Cooper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:05 am

Received one for Christmas and took it out chukar hunting 12/26. Overall, I like it. It is everthing you would expect from Badlands as far as quality and craftsmanship. It really is a solid, well built good looking piece of equipment with some neat features. It carries excellent with the load firmly on your hips, which is so much better than the traditional vest I have been using for the last 20 years. I carry quite a bit of weight with water, shells, food, first aid kit etc and hopefully a bunch of birds, so the way it carried made a huge a difference. The only thing I dont like is a few of the pockets are small and hard to get my hand in, which is a pet peeve when it comes to packs. I would rather have fewer large pocktets than a bunch of little ones, but that is just me. The bird carrying area is a little shallow as well, so if you manage to kill a pile of birds it could be an issue and you could lose one overboard....maybe I will do a follow up when I get my next limit... :lol: My partner has a quillomene which is a great vest too, but he liked this one a lot which says something. Kind of spendy though at 169.00, but Badlands has an iron clad warranty and will take care of anything that happens to it.

If you cover a lot of ground and hunt big country this is a great vest and what it lacks in extra space is a good trade off for how it carries. If you dont hunt far, or long and don't carry a lot of weight, then a traditional vest, or one of the less expensive strap vests would probably be sufficient.

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Badlands Bird Vest Review

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Badlands make some good stuff. I have the vest as well as pack for big game hunting. I'm not really sold on the upland vest yet. I have only used it for a couple of hunts so far. My biggest issue (which there maybe a fix for haven't researched it much) is that there is no place for an ecollar transmitter. Also the pockets are on the side of you. I'm used to the being on the front like traditinal vests. But I can adjust to that.

Cooper

Re: Badlands Bird Vest Review

Post by Cooper » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 pm

ROTTnBRITT wrote:Badlands make some good stuff. I have the vest as well as pack for big game hunting. I'm not really sold on the upland vest yet. I have only used it for a couple of hunts so far. My biggest issue (which there maybe a fix for haven't researched it much) is that there is no place for an ecollar transmitter. Also the pockets are on the side of you. I'm used to the being on the front like traditinal vests. But I can adjust to that.
I have been hanging mine around my neck, or looping through belt loop and letting it hang...it would be nice if it had that option... I went out for another hunt and have to agree....the side pockets are a hassle and hard to reach back to as well as get my hand in because they are so narrow and not expandable. I find myself having to take vest off to get to things, or to get something back in. I think the front pockets could be a bit bigger too......LOL. that is where I like to keep shells and about 10, maybe 11 12ga shells in each pocket is all you can get in there and keep them closed......along with a protein bar. :D I havent ran out of shells yet and probalby won't, but as long as I am solving world hunger what the heck !!

I like the way it carries though and dont feel any fatigue after 8 miles of chukar chasing, so that is a major plus and worth a lot, but the overall pocket layout and pocket sizing is not up to par for long hunts where extra's are necessary in my opinion.