Camera for beginner

EastBeast

Camera for beginner

Post by EastBeast » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for an easy to use digital camera for a beginner? I normally use disposable box type things but after seeing some of the nice pics everyone takes I just really want better. So thanks for any input :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Try a kodak 740. They are great and if you can go a little more try the Kodak 850.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Try a kodak 740. They are great and if you can go a little more try the Kodak 850.
we just got our Z740 and we love it great camera super pictures.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:21 pm

Moreso than any specific camera, look for specific features.

You'll want a camera with enough memory included (either built in memory or with an expandable card) to get at least 24 pictures. That way you're not losing anything over a film camera on the number of exposures. Most good cameras are upgradeable in the memory department, allowing hundreds of pictures to be taken at a time.

Next, look for a camera that can take regular alkaline batteries. Mine takes the AA size. I use rechargeable NiMh batteries in lieu of the non-recharge kind, but if I get in a pinch I can grab a couple extra batteries from any nearby convenience store (think: being on vacation). Definately get the rechargeable kind, though, for normal use.

Don't get too involved in the hype over zoom. The more you have to zoom, the harder it is to hold the camera steady and get a good shot. Think about it... just like with binoculars and telescopes, every milimeter you shake the camera at your eye level throws off the picture by a few feet. It's best to just get closer to your object than to zoom in on it - if possible. That said, when you're looking at zoom power look at optical zoom power only. Disregard anything that mentions "digital" zoom. The ONLY thing a digital zoom does is increase the physical size of the pixils. This causes your picture to come out even more grainy and pixilated. If you absolutely need more zoom power than what your optical zoom provides, just snap the picture and zoom in with your computer once you have the pic downloaded. Your computer is much more capable of digitally zooming in on a picture.

Finally, get a camera that is capable of transferring photos via USB and comes with all the necessary cords/cables. A camera that transferrs pictures and/or video via Firewire (IEEE 1394, i-link, etc.) is nice for fast downloading, but if you're visiting family or friends and want to quickly copy the pictures to their computer they might not have Firewire. USB connectivity is standard hardware anymore, though. And remember that all the "docking stations" and special printers are just that - special. Often times you can't do anything without them, and they're good for just one or a few camera models. That cuts down on your ability to fully use your camera anywhere you travel.

Those four things are just a starting point. You'll likely be flooded with a lot of marketing hype and a bunch of useless features or features you'll never know about or care to use, so evaluate what's most important to you and stick to your guns. You'll eventually find a model that suits you best.

Happy Hunting!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:26 pm

One more little factoid about zoom:

Marketing ploys often come up on the zoom factor. You'll hear a sales person or see a sign or a pretty box that says "300x Zoom!" Truth in advertising says that has to be true, but more often than not they're bending the truth. Your 300x zoom power is actually 3x optical zoom (pretty standard on a good digi-cam) combined with 100x digital zoom (worthless, as explained above). Luckily, optical zoom is always applied before digital zoom; and if your chosen camera has an option to totally turn off the digital zoom, I highly recommend it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:27 pm

I have a koday Z740 as well and really love the pics I am taking with it.
I would love to have a Nikon D70 but that will have to wait for a bit.

Mav....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:10 pm

I will have to disagree with Steve on the zoom factor. The main reason the 740 and the 850 are such good outdoor cameras is they have a 10 or 12 power optical zoom. If you are wanting to take outdoor pics or wildlife the zoom feature is the number one thing to look for. You can get rid of the shakes by using a tripod or monopod. Or go to the 850 which has an image stablizer built in. Several other cameras have that type of zoom and I wouldn't even consider one without it. Inside portrait type pics and you are talking a whole different thing. Then what Steve posted is right.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 pm

Well I wasn't knocking zoom altogether. Just saying that in all conditions, if you can get yourself closer to the target then it's better than using the zoom. Of course there are conditions, especially wildlife, where getting close might disturb the target. In those instances, like I said, go with optical zoom only. A 10x or 12x optical zoom is becoming more and more commonplace as consumers are becoming informed about what a ripoff the digital zoom really is. :wink:

And, yes, if using the zoom you may have to go with a tripod or get a camera with a built-in image stabilizer. The stabilizer is probably a feature that could be a deal-breaker between two otherwise equal cameras. I can't tell you how many pictures I had to just delete because they ended up as nothing more than streaks of color.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info guys :) The salesman at circuit city arguably knew less about cameras than I did so I thought I would ask. I'm going to order a Kodak 850 I think. Then maybe some of my pics will come out too.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:59 pm

I just gpt one a month ago and it seems real good. Think you will like it. Also bought the camera dock for recharging. Would have bought the photo dock but I have a new Lexmark printer. Also got the 1 gig card.

Ezzy