kennel panels

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

kennel panels

Post by highcotton » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:19 pm

All,

I am in the process of building 4 new kennel runs. The slab will be poured in a few days and I am researching kennel panels in something other than chain link. Do any of you have any suggestions for some of the heavy welded wire type panels with the powder coat paint. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Charles Sherrod
Muscle Shoals, AL

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:23 am

I believe Priefert makes some along with others. For a direct purchase, go to your local farms supply store (Atwoods, Tractor Supply, etc.). I've seen many of them have them in stock. Otherwise you could special order.

http://www.priefert.com/dynamic/prod_list.php
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Friedelsheim

Post by Friedelsheim » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 am

I use Priefert kennels and they are very nice and durable. I've been using them for about 7 years.

The only thing that you need to watch is that over time the welds begin to break loose. Thus, you will need to re-weld some of the metal mesh to the post.

silver elhew

Post by silver elhew » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:57 pm

WOW they shure dont wont to give that away.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

kennel panels

Post by highcotton » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I lurk here often and have learned a great deal from this board.

Thanks again
Charles Sherrod

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Welcome aboard. Hope we can all learn together.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:35 pm

Cabelas has some nice ones also..Buddy of ours has had his for quite a few years and they still look in extremely good shape
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:41 am

We just finished our kennels and I went to a local fence company and had them built to what I needed and they came out great. With 3 inside runs 4x6x6 and 3 out side runs 4x6x16 they cost me a little over a $1000

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Tractor Supply has a "magnum kennel" that is very heavy duty welded wire, but it is about 500.00 per kennel, they are 6 ft high and 10 x 10.

I also put a 2x4 under the kennel between the cement so it doesnt rust out and leaves a gap for waste to be washed into my septic ditch.

I have seen welded wire fencing used for a kennel, takes a bit of skill to build them but they are very sturdy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:20 am

I just received panels from Option Plus. I was very disappointed. I was expecting welded wire panels with welded pipe connections or at least metal connections. Maybe I did not ask the right questions. the frames are no more than electrical conduit, ( I could bend the pipe over my knee) the wire is fit into punched holes, the connecitons of the frames are urethean blocks stuffed inside the posts then a course thread , :evil: lag screw is put through the pipe to the urethean bushing. then the cuts are covered with vinyl to hide the poor craftsmen ship. The panels are flimsy, the doors have a minimum gap under and over of about 4" so a fisher what ever could get in. This was the Ultra series, Custom sizes. Their service folks are responsive and got my order to me in a hurry. I will be talking with them to find out what they will do. I have sent them my complaint list. I paid alot of $$$ for this stuff and will not install it at my home :x
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

kennel panels

Post by highcotton » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Ruff and all,

I had narrowed my picks down to Priefert and Option Plus with a sizeable lean toward Priefert. The factory rep informed me that the latest models are built from galvinized material and then powder coated. Those facts, along with your comments have pretty much convinced me to get the Priefert.

Thanks
Charles

BrettBryan

Kennel Panels

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Charles, I just saw your post on here. You going to run some FT's this year? Hopefully, you got that big job done you were working on. I have a kennel made by Behlen manufacturing http://www.behlencountry.com/ and I think its very similar to the Priefert kennel. I've had mine 4 years. The only problem I've had is that the bottom of the kennel will start rusting from the male dog urinating on it. Other than that, they have been great. I had a huge Pecan Tree limb fall on the top of mine and it bent it up pretty bad, but the dogs lived through it. They didn't have a scratch on them. So, they are built sturdy. Have to run. Hope to see this Field Trial season. Brett
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

kennel panels

Post by highcotton » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Brett,

Yes, I finally finished the storm job the first week of this month. I almost bit off too much on that one. It caused me to miss most of the trials last season but I will be back for sure in September.

I guess you heard about Ed. Things won't be the same in the Dixie and Midsouth regions without him and Buddy.

Thanks for the kennel tip but I have pretty much decided to go with the Prefert brand. The factory rep told me that they are now galvanized prior to powder coating and I hope that will cause a slow down in the oxidation/rusting process.

I have a CD for you on the new Connecticut Shotgun's RBL launch edition sxs. I will send it to you or give it to you at the first trial, your call.

I have been so out of pocket I did not hear how Boss did at Amo?

Take care and I will see you soon.

Charles

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:09 am

Charles, Boss and I took an early exit. We were beat by the eventual National Champion Burchel's Dutchman. He beat me 2 birds to 0. It just wasn't Boss's day. It was hot and he just wasn't on. He runs a little hard for those type conditions. He seems to do better when its fall. I ran the last brace of the day. It took Dutchman a long time to find his first bird too. I enjoyed going up to Amo, and would encourage anyone who qualifies a dog to go and give it a shot. I would like to go back next year if possible. I still don't own a side X side. I just can't afford it right now. Yeah, I will miss Ed Pearson at the trials. They don't come any nicer than him. I will see you this fall at the trials. How is Jeremy Johnson doing? I'm glad he started running this past fall. It's hard to get young folks started in Field Trials. I'm glad he did.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:16 pm

High Cotton:

Just wanted to follow up on Options Plus. Since last post, I have spoken with Options Plus. They are going to up grade me to the Platinum for the cost diff. between Ultra and Platinum. $738.oo and I sell, donate or throw out the Ultra they delivered to me. The Platinum has 1 1/4" square tube steel and 9gage welded wire and the frames are welded all is powder coated. I thought the ultra would have been welded with round tube and wire welded.

Just wanted to be fair to Options plus.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:11 am

Mason Kennel Company of Leesburg OH is considered the finest kennel enclosure manufacturer. They cost a bit more initially than most but they'll be around long after others are scrapped.
My panels are over 30 years old and I know of other that are over 45 and are still in good condition.
http://www.masonco.com/main.html

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Brett,

So far as I know Jeremy will be running this season. I went up to see him a couple of weeks ago and he seemed to be getting better after loosing his mom. Must be tough on a boy of his age. He will be ok and running by september. We are going to SanAngelo in February for a Llewellin trial and a couple days of bird hunting. That should be good for everyones soul.

Charles

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:33 pm

Rick,

Glad to hear they made things right for your kennel situation. Good customer service can go a long way toward making a business successfull.

Charles

silver elhew

Post by silver elhew » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:59 am

If you have a welder handy you can do what i did if your going to spend all that money.I built mine out of galvonized pipe.For the corner posts i used 2" pipe thats 1/4 inch thick and for the cross peices i used 1"1/2 pipe 1/8 inch wall. garuntee you it wont fall apart or be to flimsey.For the chain link i used the construction chain link its twice as thick as the chain link as the kennels you can buy.The only thing i would do different is got some square panels to weld on instead.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Just bought a new one from Tractor supply, 5' wide x 10'long x 6' high welded wire $298.00......very nice and sturdy. buy 2 exta brackets for the side panels.

Lvrgsp :lol: