Maping GPS

Ryan

Maping GPS

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 pm

I am looking at a maping GPS unit for when I need to go to Hunt tests or dog show and dont know the way. I would like to be able to atleast have a detailed map of the area but a redline or some dierctiond from the GPS would be extra.

Here is what I am looking at right now.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0006168

Anyone have any experience with these 2 units or know of any other around that price range.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Hey Ryan,

Looks like a great deal. The only thing you have to be carefull of living on our side of the border is that it may not have the Canadian map and cities on board.

Mav....

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:39 pm

No problem with that. My old man has an etrex and downloaded the maps for alberta and my uncle has the other so he has all the maps.

I will wait for anyone else to pitch in I am more than happy to hear their experieces with these 2 units good or bad.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm

I always followed a map to the town and then if there werent directions to the site I would stop and ask. never missed a show that way. That way I was able to save my money for more important things like retirement and field trials and hunting dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:01 pm

Ryan,

I can not comment on those 2 units as I have no experience with either.

But I own a Garmin GPSmap 60CS and I love it, I have the topo software for it and have found it quite nice for in town and out, I especially like it for trout fishing and grouse hunting. Finding that last 100' through woods looking for a stream can be interesting in area you have never been in. As far as in town, I have used my GPS with MS streets and trips and can actually map my progress in the program which is neat and handy.

One small tip if you find a specific model your going to buy, do a google search on that model, I saved over $200 from what I would of paid from Gander or Cabelas.

BTW Ezzy you in a foul mood mate? The last 2 posts I have seen from you have been rather abrasive. Hope everything is ok there. :?

Regards,

Rob

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Might check out this site Ryan. Some very good values....

http://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Handheld-Mapping.asp
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:52 am

I have a Garmin GPS V. It is the first product you listed.

I love it. I use it for trail riding as well as travelling.

It has been a while but seems to me I had to pay extra for detailed maps. THe new version has North America detail.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:39 am

Ryan, I have the etrex legend. I love it. Mark all my favorite hunting spots, have used it to help me get "unlost" in Chicago, etc. Have not purchased any extra maps, just use what came with the unit and that has been sufficient for my needs.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:56 am

If you own a laptop, you can buy Microsoft Streets and Trips or the similar DeLorme product for $100US. Sometimes it's hard to read the display in sunlight, but it's more versatile, has more features and is less expensive (not including the cost of the laptop).

Best regards,

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:42 am

Greg Jennings wrote:If you own a laptop, you can buy Microsoft Streets and Trips or the similar DeLorme product for $100US. Sometimes it's hard to read the display in sunlight, but it's more versatile, has more features and is less expensive (not including the cost of the laptop).

Best regards,
Of course, you then have to know where you are and not get off the path.
Not exactly the same as a GPS, it's just a digital map. Might as well just print a map at that point.

There is however GPS units that are designed to hook up to a laptop.
These are usually around $100-$150.
They are cheaper because they don't need to worry about screen and interface, it's just software that you load on the laptop with the GPS unit hooked up.

I have the CSx 60 and love it. I can also hook it up to my laptop and use the laptops screen, just requires a seperate cable. (not included with the unit)

The base GPS units have very limited maps so whichever one you buy, you're gonna need to buy some better software to get real quality maps.

Also look for the auto mapping feature.
It adjusts your way if you change directions or get off the freeway to get some food or something.
Real nice feature.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:13 am

Virgil wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:If you own a laptop, you can buy Microsoft Streets and Trips or the similar DeLorme product for $100US. Sometimes it's hard to read the display in sunlight, but it's more versatile, has more features and is less expensive (not including the cost of the laptop).

Best regards,
Of course, you then have to know where you are and not get off the path.
Not exactly the same as a GPS, it's just a digital map. Might as well just print a map at that point.
My Streets and Trips came with a USB GPS receiver for $99 total. Got the pointer from a friend that had the equivalent DeLorme unit for $129.

So, the GPS requirement is met, it has an expansive library of maps, includes a moving map display in a couple of different modes and also provides access to listings for restaurants, hotels, car repair (has come in very useful) and other points of interest at my finger tips.

The downsides are the requirement for a laptop, the bulk of the laptop (not useful out hunting, have a Garmin GPS 60c for that), the brightness of the laptop display and the battery time of the laptop (I have 2 batteries = 4 hours total time or get a DC/AC inverter that is good enough to run the laptop).

Offsetting these are the versatility of the laptop (I take mine with me to download pictures from the Canon Rebel XT), the size of the display and, to my way of thinking, the ease of use (compared to my Garmin 60c).

Respectively,