Reviews or sugestions on good upland boots?

switchbackkd

Reviews or sugestions on good upland boots?

Post by switchbackkd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 am

Any one have any reviews or sugestions on good upland boots.

ranmcc

Re: Boots

Post by ranmcc » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:08 am

Best birdhunting boots are ll bean Maine boots. Good training boots too. Some guides like the insulated green browning boots. But the don't last them but about two years at most.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:32 pm

If you have money, Viberg makes the best boots out there from a manufacturer.

If you have alot of money get these
http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com/services.html

I was able to get a pair of Van Gorkums boots through my company plan under orthotics

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Danner Grouse Hunting Boots are hard to beat IMO

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

If you are doing true upland hunting then I would go for a boot that has specifically designed for that type of wear. You will see the same design elements across different manufacturers - moc toe, low profile tread, uninsulated, light weight, etc.

I have a garage full of boots that were bad experiments and wasted money. I basically just buy upland hunt now and all I will buy are upland boots. I figure that all the expeirmenting has already been done by thousands of hunters over hundreds of years. What the heck am I going to discover that's different?

I have three pairs I would highly recommend:

Russell boots in Wisconsin will custom make boots to fit you. Not cheap - will run you twice what good mass produced boots will cost but I've been extremely pleased with the pair I got last spring. I got the Signature Back 40 Birdshooter with a few additions. I like the D ring lace system better than those studs or simple holes and I added a toe cap. Super comfortable, waterproof without the membrane (I just walked 5 miles Grouse hunting in some wet crap and not a drop of water in the boots. Fit is perfect and they are repairable. I'm hoping they are the last boots I ever buy at age 49.

I also have a pair of Browning boots that I don't think they make anymore. They look like the Browning Heritage but I think those are Kangaroo and these are not. They're uninsulated, moc to and goretex. Very well made and I think I got them on sale for less than $150. Nobby soles have better traction (but pick up mud) and they fit well.

Rocky Outback. I never see anyone talk about these but perhaps the best boots I've ever owned just by shear utility and value. I've had a pair since the mid-90s and I still wear them. They are beat the heck, nearly worn through in areas and the soles are very thing now. I bet I've walked close to 1000 miles in them bird hunting. Never leaked, comfortable and less than $150. I have bought three other pairs of different Rocky's and hated them all. I have two pairs that each were worn once and sit on the shelf nearly new. I thought they were junk but those Outbacks are unreal. Go figure.

gregm

Post by gregm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:01 pm

The rocky steep cayons of eastern oregon eat most boots. Chasing chuckers in this country takes a tuff boot, danners don't hold up. Kenetrek's do!!
Kenetrek mountain extreme non insulated are great boots. Great support and last for years!!
P1000118.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am

If you are a chukar hunter then I would recommend the Kennetrek or Meindel but if you go with Meindl make sure to get the Alaska hunters. I love Danners for the comfort but they are not in the same league as either the Meindl or Kennetrek.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Redwing Irish setter upland boots all the way! Free once a month oiling for free and also free laces if needed.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Ok, call this overkill. Getting ready to spend about 3 weeks in Kansas between now and mid Jan. Replacing two pair of Cabela's upland boots that seem to leak. Have purchased a pair of Meindl's. Have on order a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooter's(thanks cstokes), but also looking at a pair of Ll bean 10" Bison leather/rubber boots. Any input from you guy's and gal's out there. Just want to make sure something is waterproof. ( My back-up to the Beans would progably be Irish Setter Havco's). Thanks in advance. Your opinions are really appreciated. Yes again, it may be overkill, but at my age, I'm going to be as comfortable as I can be.