SportDog receiver size

djswizz

SportDog receiver size

Post by djswizz » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:33 pm

There are great deals on the SD-1200 all over the Internet so I am looking at getting one. Anyway, what do you all think about the size of the receiver on the 1200? Do you think it could be a little smaller or is it fine? I may opt to get a different receiver (the new SD-800) because it's smaller. Just wondering what you all thought of the size of it.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:24 pm

from the reviews I have heard recomended that the 1800 is a much better choice

FWIW

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:01 pm

I have the 1800 and run two dogs (GSP's) off of it and love it. I dont think the receiver is large for my dogs. My buddy runs the 400 (on his GSP) which has a much smaller receiver. He has had no issues. The biggest difference is the range. I think depending on how far you want you dog to range might be a bigger factor than receiver size. The 800 has a range between the 400 and the 1800. I think it is about a 1/2 mile or so. I do think the Sportdog Brand is an excellent brand. You might even consider the new 1850. It is the new beeper and receiver collar run off the transmitter. Good luck!

gusto

Post by gusto » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:22 pm

I have the 1800 and highly recommend it. I bought it 18 months ago and its been used everyday on both dogs throughout all conditions especially water. I also use dogtra and tritronics and the sportdog so far is on par for sure.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:29 pm

I bought the 1800 today. Great receiver and well worth the investment. I'll be having this thing for years and years to come.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Sorry about bringing up a topic almost a year old. How are the SD 1800's holding up? I have a 1200 that I'm happy with. I'm on the fence about purchasing an Add-A-Collar for the 1200, or getting an 1800, and using the 1200 receiver for the second dog.

Thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 pm

I went through 2 SD's 1800 finally gave up the Forgien made stuff went back to TT American Made

the recievers for tri tronics are smaller the sport dogs and durable and charge last longer in the TT
the G3 transmitter TT's answer to the sportdog people works off a 9 volt has worked since i got it in Jan still using the same battery sportdog I am lucky of the transmitter last 2 weeks
side by side the sportdog only works about 20 yards further then the G3 also and that is straight clear line of sight test
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Knine, where are the SportDog collars made? I couldn't find that info on their website.

I had a SD-1200 and liked it for all purposes. I switched over to a Dogtra 1700 and actually like it a lot better. Both the receiver and transmitter just seem a little higher in quality, being more rubberized and less hard plastic.

But the SD-1200 is still seeing good days. I gave it to my sister for her dog, and use it when I train with him.

SportDog has a lot of professional backing, including Team Huntsmith, and they seem to be constantly upgrading their product line. I haven't had any dealings with the latest products, so I can't comment on the quality of late, but I'd bet they're getting right in line with the other major brands.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:58 pm

tri tronic is the only american made collar

I got in to sport dog Because of Rick even sold some for him but out of 10 collars which included the one i had 3 that i sold had range issues and the one i had also had issues sent it in they sent me a new one and the new one had issiuses Rick sent me a replacement it worked fine

At Ricks Seminar i hosted last year..Rick and i spoke and I told him I could no longer in good faith sell the collars to my clients he told me to send the collars in to fix and then sell them. I handed them back the ones i had left and told him thank you but I had gone back to tri tronics.
we started to compare stimulation levels and throwing them around and some other things Rick ended asking me what tri tronic's did for me...My first thought was on the level of Rick is with sportdog which obviously i am not even close..so was quiet but then came back to Rick with .."What tri tronics does for me is put out a collar I can rely on." He had to smile as Sport dog has been havng an issue and they were supposed to have hadit fixed by summer.
I also send rick posts where people are having issues with sportdog

I have tried the other collars..DT Dog tra Sportdog granted for an average hunter they are fine tri tronic stepped up to the averge person price tag with the G3

but for a person who really uses the collar through training or guiding I have always ended up going to my TT when the others failed me

Oh and I went to tri tronic and got the tour...and even the components are american made and many wired and assembles right there by american speaking people....and any more I feel it is very important to support that.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:35 am

My SD-1800 works just fine. It's held up just fine and I took it to ND last year with no problems. I am going to ND in 1 week and it will hold up just fine this time around as well.

As far as things being made in America, I seriously could care less. I am about quality and functionality and price over American. It's like Chevy, GM, and Ford - they make crap cars so I will not buy them just because it's American. Toyota and Honda are made here in America, thus supporting our local workers.

Not to get off topic but you will not go wrong with SportDog. Lifetime warranty, good prices, good reviews, good support - I am staying with them until something goes really wrong (if it even does).

gwgdog66

Thanks all

Post by gwgdog66 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the great information. I decided to go with the Add A Collar to go with my SD 1200. I got one on sale at the local farm & ranch store for $89. I'm just an average weekend hunter. I couldn't justify the cost of a new Tri Tronic System, when what I have is working fine for me.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Knine, where are you getting your info about where these e-collars are made? I know Tri-Tronics uses "Made in America" in their advertising, but Dogtra is based out of Carson, California, and SportDOG is based out of Knoxville, Tennessee. DT Systems also has its corporate office, service center and shipping facilities all located Dallas, Texas. None of these companies are publicly traded as far as I can tell.

If Tri-Tronics is the only e-collar company that actually manufacturers its collars within the borders of the US, that's fine. I just haven't been able to confirm that.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Ayres-
I can tell that I just got some new Dogtra launchers in today and the were shipped from the California HQ, but right on the transmitter and recievers it has a "made in Korea" sticker. Thats proof enough for me. I dont like doing business like that and buying non American stuff but who else puts together an equal product? ( atleast as far as launchers ) No one, thats who.. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine